PDA

View Full Version : My neck and back!!!

cmhoover1
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
My neck and back are killing me! How do you situate yourself so that you're relaxed and comfortable? I knit waaaayyyy too long at a stretch, but I'm addicted!!

Crycket
06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I hear ya!

I have one of those neck things....you know the ones you heat up in the microwave....it is filled with Beans of somesort....

Mind you I have permanent neck damage from work anyway!

It is my hands that get me on long stretchs!

suzeeq
06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
You do need to get up and walk around a few minutes every hour or so. Try head and neck rolls, rotate your shoulders and swing your arms around. Pain is your body's way of telling you not to do something, so you need to change its position. You can put a pillow on your lap to rest your arms in, be aware that you're not bending your head forward to see what you're doing. I find myself looking over the tops of my glasses (I'm nearsighted) to see my work sometimes, when I should just take them off or I'll get a headache.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I do my knitting marathons in my ergonomic desk chair and have my feet propped up... if i'm knitting something heavy i rest it on my desk :)

McKnitty
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I usually knit on the sofa with my knitting in my lap, but sometimes I knit at the table (kitchen or dining) with the knitting resting on the table. This brings the knitting up a little higher so I don't have to look downward as much, which is a little easier on my neck and shoulders.

I've found that it helps to keep changing positions, especially when knitting for long periods of time. Also, take plenty of breaks and stretch!

heatherg23
06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
My neck and back are killing me! How do you situate yourself so that you're relaxed and comfortable? I knit waaaayyyy too long at a stretch, but I'm addicted!!

I know how you feel. :wall: I'm 32 and my neck is nothing but arthritis. I used to get a couple migraines a year. Well, I started knitting 3 months ago and for the first 2 months I had severe neck pain then 10 mins later I would get the severe migraine to go along with it.

When I'm sitting and knitting I have to raise my hands a tad to a comfortable eye level. Otherwise my neck/head is facing downward if your hands are near your lap. I also stop every couple of rows for a sec or two. Just to move my head around.

I also lay down a lot due to medical reasons and what I HAVE TO DO is put 3-4 pillows behind me to raise me up. No one can knit laying flat.:think: It took me a while to realize that I had to actually PUT my head down on a pillow.

Fun.....
Heather

1to1
06-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Someone that was on Knitty Gritty can't remember her name (small, short-haired blond) said to put a pillow under your work so that it brings your knitting up, plus to sit up straight with your feet on the floor

Its kinda like reading in bed :fingerwag: but we all do it.

SBG
06-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I change positions and stretch a lot, and I also see a chiropractor regularly (since way before I started knitting).

Mike
06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
You need to tell how you situate yourself and maybe someone will be able to pick out the problem.
Like if someone is poking you in the back and neck while you knit, that's the problem :)

Knitting and crochet actually fix my neck problems.
My present neck issues sprang up from hanging cabinets and trying to deal with new bifocals at the same time so looking up and reaching up are my problem. (My computer monitor is "up" so any more that kills me and I used to spend very long times on the computer.)
I just sit on the couch and relax, similar to a reading position.

Do you need bifocals or reading glasses?
If you're trying to see over glasses or holding the work too close or too far I could see where that would cause neck strain.
I had a problem with trying to see over my glasses when I started crochet.

gingerbread
06-03-2008, 08:15 AM
I had the same problem with the neck and back. I just had back surgery again and so I have to keep my back straight. I use a pillow to keep the knitting closer to me so I don't have to keep my neck down. Then on one of my junking trips I found a pillow with the arms on it. I don't know what they really call the darn thing. I love it I put it on the bed and add one of my regular pillows, and I can knit in bed without hurting my neck or back. I also make sure I get up and walk around and swing my arms and stretch. Everyone is different, but I think that if you do the stretching it is going to help ya.

:waving:

SBG
06-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Do you mean a husband pillow? This one is all fancy:

http://www.bedlounge.com/assets/images/LandingPages/bedlounge-product.jpg

A nursing pillow might work too, to support your arms higher (like a Boppy).

gingerbread
06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
YES,YES, that is the pillow I bought. Well not that fancy mine is an awful green but what the heck I only paid 5.00 dollars for the pillow. I like the name husband pillow. I will have to remember that from now on.

:waving:

marlajap
06-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I have neck and back issues from a 30 year old case of whiplash, followed by a 25 year old instance of rotator cuff damage. Suffice it to say that I am never, ever pain free in the upper right quadrant. I also have wrist/hand issues, but as long as I knit English, it's actually getting better. But on to the actual subject here.

I bought a reclining wing chair at a yard sale for $20 that has made my evenings SO much more comfy! It's just the right height for me, the recliner portion doesn't hurt my knees (another injury, 3 yrs ago), and the back is nice and firm and just the right height. I recline so that my feet are up but back is still pretty straight, use the arm rests to support my elbows, and hold my work in my lap. Much less back/shoulder pain that way. I think I get more stiffness and neck/back pain from working or goofing on the 'puter than I do from knitting now...or I would if I would use the darned chair...it's been so beautiful outside at night lately that I've been knitting on the front porch, and those chairs just aren't as kind to my back!! :doh: