PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use an Epilator? I GOT IT-Pg. 2 Quick question...

bailsmom
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
QVC has one as their TSV and I was contemplating getting it but uncertain if I will be able to handle the pain. Has anyone used one of these and how bad is the pain? I've never had my legs waxed either so I can't compare it with that.

I would kill to be able to go more than a day without shaving, I have dark hair, it sucks.

debb
06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I have but I didn't care for it. I like a product called MOOM. it is similar to waxing but uses a sugar base. you heat it up like wax and use strips to rip out the hair (I don't find this too painful since it is very quick). But the best part for me is it is much easier to clean up than wax. just warm water pretty much dissolves whatever is left over and the strips rinse out quickly.

msmelody
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I have a machine that is the same idea of the Epilator, but has another name. I LOVE it. I shave once every two weeks or so, and only have to worry about a stray hair or two. Yes, it hurts at first, but at a couple of uses you get used to it, plus the hair grows in finer, which makes it easier and less painful to use.

fireflyknitter
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I have but I didn't care for it. I like a product called MOOM. it is similar to waxing but uses a sugar base. you heat it up like wax and use strips to rip out the hair (I don't find this too painful since it is very quick). But the best part for me is it is much easier to clean up than wax. just warm water pretty much dissolves whatever is left over and the strips rinse out quickly.

I've always meant to try makingthis stuff (http://www.geocities.com/ode2women/NadsRecipe.html). It's supposed to be like that Nads stuff they used to show commercials for. It's sugar based and it's similar to waxing. There's more ways to make it but they're all similar. :)

gailf
06-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I used one years ago and I agree it hurts a bit at first but after a few times its no big deal.

cristina61
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, I've used a similar thing to the Epilator for at least 20 years now, off and on. I'll tell you, depending on the area it can be exquisitely painful (I've never waxed) the first few times. Eventually the hair becomes lighter and thinner and it comes out much easier; you'll barely notice any discomfort.

I think you have to have patience, especially when you first start using it. Even now I sometimes get impatient -- you know, shaving is a major hassle but it's quick. Using the epilator-type devices takes longer, and then you have to deal with in-grown hairs.

If that's for you, then go for it. I can't imagine having to shave every single day! I keep waiting for them to improve the Epilator so it's quieter and more efficient, but I keep using mine and I honestly wouldn't be without it.

Nobones
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I use one and I love it, couldn't use anything else now. I am pale with very dark hair and had to shave a lot but I can go about 12 weeks between epilating. I use a body scrub and rough sponge one a week and find I now don't have problem with in growing hairs. I found it stung the first time and after that it wasn't a problem. But don't do it when you have your period as apparently that makes it very painful.

Lucy78green
06-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I have one, but my mum "borrowed" it and I have to hunt through her wardrobe to find it. It hurts at first, particularly if you haven't used it in a while and have loads of hair. As you're using it you get used to the pain, and it's not that bad.

tarrentella
06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I use one every 2 or 3 weeks on my legs and stomach. It hurts sometimes but never unbearably. There are some parts of my legs i dont notice on and some parts which can sting a little but it doesnt last long. It can be a bit boring to do, but if you are patient it is worth it, and as people have said, the more you do it, the finer and fewer the hairs are so it gets easier to do.

I would recomend one with two speeds, fast for the bits you don'y mind, and slower for the sensitive bits.

Sunshine's Mom
06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Holy Cow! You all are so brave.

When I was a teenager I begged my mom to get me one for Christmas. She did. I let the hair on my legs grow out a bit. Touched that blasted device to my shin - ONCE - jumped out of my skin with the pain :thud: and never, NEVER, used it again.

Even the thought of using one brings tears to my eyes. You all are so brave. I'm truly in awe of all of you. :notworthy:

bailsmom
06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey everyone! I just got it today and I was reading the directions and it says not to use if you have sensitive skin.
:tap:
I have sensitive skin. It doesn't say anything about that in the description on qvc's website. I haven't tried it yet as I'm under the weather today, I'll try it tomorrow. But I'm a bit more nervous about the pain of it now. Do any of you have sensitive skin and have used one?

Lucy78green
06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I dunno, I have sensitive skin in terms of being prone to allergic reactions to certain products, but otherwise no. Mine says to use it on arms and legs only. I tried to use it on my bikini line once and it made it bleed - so maybe it means sensitive areas.

Nobones
06-07-2008, 04:56 AM
I have sensitive skin, it might sting a little more, or the redness take a little longer to go away but I don't have problem.

Debbie
06-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I have used one for at least 20 years on my legs... I never have to do them any more ... I do them if I am going on a trip or for a special occasion, just because it seems like the thing to do. My legs are always smooth and never have 5'oclock shadow. I started doing my underarms about 5 years ago and now have to do them every couple of weeks and tweeze a few in between. I wouldn't be without mine ... except hopefully in a few more years when I don't need it at all. I wish I had started when I was 20 instead of 30!
I guess it hurt in the beginning but not bad enough to still remember it :) Any hair that still grows is so fine, I don't even notice.

bailsmom
06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Here's my report: My hairs were a little too long to do my whole leg. I've been sick for the last few days so I hadn't shaved either and I tried this morning thinking it was the perfect length and I think it was too long. It didn't really 'hurt', just felt like a teeny tiny pinch. Very light, so I'm excited to try it again tomorrow. I sure hope it works!

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all the advice! :muah:

knitasha
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I think the "sensitive skin" line is just there in case somebody tries to give herself a full Brazilian with the thing.:oo: The company just doesn't want that kind of liability problem. I have pale, "thin" skin and the epilator has never been a problem on my legs or arms. Haven't had the guts to try it on, ahem, "sensitive" areas. BTW, it really works better if you exfoliate first; some epilators come with a small loofah for this purpose. There shouldn't be any moisture of lotion on your skin, either.

Nobones
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
A full Brazilian with the thing.:oo: .

All the alcohol in the world still wouldn't be enough for me try that! You'd have to be nuts! I think your face would be more like;

:shock::shock::shock: :waah:

Jan in CA
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I didn't respond before... I had one of these and it just was too painful so I tossed it. :shock:

bailsmom
06-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Well I've been using it all week and each time it gets easier and easier. I wish I hadn't shaved the first time because the hairs were actually the perfect length! But I think for my first time it was best to try it this way. I'm really surprised at how well it works. And since the hairs don't grow back at the same pace I'm having to do it everyday, but it doesn't take as long as it did the first day I tried it, obviously, because I've removed most of the hairs. It's been heaven not having to shave everyday in the shower (I do it dry btw, not in the shower like the first time.) And I can't even say it hurts now, that's not the right word, and the sensitive skin isn't even an issue. Thank goodness. I can't put anything on my legs or I'll break out in little red bumps and oh does it burn. The one lotion I've found that doesn't irritate them as much is Lubriderm sensitive skin, it has nothing in it that will irritate the skin.

I sure wish my mother had told me about this when I was younger. I don't have a sister to help me with 'girly' things, so it takes me twice as long to learn about the simplest things. :teehee:

Lucy78green
06-13-2008, 01:22 PM
my mother told me never to shave at all, that lasted til I was 16...