PDA

View Full Version : **June KAL**

dustinac
06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
This month is going to be making Log Cabin Squares :happydance:

If you don't have the book that's ok...this site here will give you the instructions on how to make one :yay: ...Just scroll down to the Log Cabin Entry

http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2004_02.html

I hope you all have a fun making the squares and I can't wait to see them. I have never made them so this will be very new to me :teehee:

Jan in CA
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll make some, too! :thumbsup: I've been wanting to make a bath mat so I'll practice some more with squares! ;)

Jeremy
06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm doing an afghan (slowly). Its a really great television knitting project because its all knitting. A really good stash buster too.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I"m in... I've been meaning to get some odds and ends of yarn finished up and i'm not on anything, smoking anything, or drinking anything good enough to get me to do a mitered square afghan for my king size bed (still working on that crib size one....)

knitgal
06-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh man, I want to do this, but I have too many things on the go!

Jan in CA
06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Lack of sleep last night is making it hard to do anything complicated so I'm going to work on this today! :yay:

suzeeq
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been thinking on a variation since the yarn I'm going to use I don't think I'm going to like in garter st. Will let you know how it goes once I start it.

Jan in CA
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I've got quite a bit done..it's maybe 12 or 13 in square now. I am going to keep going till the yarn runs out. Not sure what I'll do with it though. :teehee:

Pix later today.

Jan in CA
06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Here's the square so far. The colors are off a little and I don't have my photo software installed on this new computer, but you get the idea.

Anyway the turquoise, purple and hot pink are Simply Soft Brites, the gray/tan color is Vanna's Choice, and the black is Plymouth Encore worsted.

Karina
06-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Thats looks great, you have just given me an idea what to do for a blanket for my two year old daughter. I have some simply brites in my stash I will have to get out for this.

Jan in CA
06-11-2008, 01:15 PM
It's quite a bit bigger now and I'm reminded of why this pattern is frustrating for me. The pattern itself is easy and fun to watch come together..it's the back that bugs me. It's not pretty! I think this will probably be a charity blanket so I think I'll see if I can do something to it. :think:

threesmom
06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
A few of us are doing a charity round robin log cabin thing, and to help clean up the back a bit, we slip the first stitch of each row purlwise. It also makes for an easier stitch to pick up.

Jan in CA
06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
A few of us are doing a charity round robin log cabin thing, and to help clean up the back a bit, we slip the first stitch of each row purlwise. It also makes for an easier stitch to pick up.

Oh good to know! I'll give that a try, too! :thumbsup: Is that purlwise with the yarn in front or back?

dustinac
06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
:yay: Jan, I love the colors!! Great job :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks! The colors aren't working out quite equally, but you know what? It doesn't matter. In the end it'll all blend in. ;)

threesmom
06-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh good to know! I'll give that a try, too! :thumbsup: Is that purlwise with the yarn in front or back?

I normally do it with yarn in front. It looks like a line of nice big knit stitches on the ends. Good luck!

jberry16
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I've always wanted to learn this, but seem to have so many other things on my 'to do' lists. Jan would you mind showing us a photo of the back? Thanks.
I'm usually just in the anysock kal, and don't venture out to see what else is going on, shame on me.

KnitsAway
06-17-2008, 02:33 PM
I want to do this! But I don't have the yarn yet, I don't know when I'll get to start it. Show more pics!

Jan in CA
06-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Okay, I'll take a photo tomorrow. :thumbsup:

jberry16
06-18-2008, 08:09 AM
I can't wait to see your photos! Thanks :blooby:

Karina
06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Here is my attempt of a Log Cabin square.

not so square but I am quite pleased with how it is going. The back is a little messy but nothing I cant live with.

This is the front, I am using Caron Simply Soft Brites.

Here is the back, some of the ends weaved in using a crochet hook.

Here is a close up of the back.

Will carry on until I run out of yarn with the five logs running around the centre. The centre is a teal like colour and not as blue as it shows in the photo. will use that colour again to use as an edge all round the blanket when its done. Hopefully the blanket will be big enough for my 2 year old daughter to snuggle up to. Probably won't be finished in June though.

Thanks Dustinac for getting me going on this, I am enjoying working on this and the bright colours are brightening the rainy days.

jberry16
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Very pretty Karina!

dustinac
06-18-2008, 11:23 AM
:hug: Karina, no need to thank me...I have never done one before (I had planned to this month but where has the time gone?) and Jan is the one who brought this up originally...I just ran with it :teehee:

Yours is so pretty! Love the beautiful colors...let's see if I finish up what I'm working on today...I might get one of these, a bathmitt, and roo's tank done before I leave on Sunday maybe? :oo:

Jan in CA
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
That looks great, Karina! The colors are very similar to mine. And your back looks much better than mine. I'll get a pic in little bit.