PDA

View Full Version : Does knitting in the round affect patterning

vjavor
06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
For example, I want to knit my sleeves in the round and the patterning stitch is K3, P1. If I knit in the round should I P3, K1 to get the same affect?

Any responses would be great!

Thanks.

gotta knit
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
You can still use K3,P1 if you want. Just remember that this will then be the RS(right side) of your work if there is any other patterning involved. If you use P3,K1 you would be working on the WS(wrong side).

Whichever you use, you will always be working on the same side with each round.

Just a side note to consider - your tension might be different in the round than with regular knitting.

ecb
06-02-2008, 07:53 PM
you can simply start at the same side for each round.
to change a flat pattern to a ITR pattern can be done, but you have to know how to wrap your brain around it (know which side is right and wrong side, and reverse ONLY the wrong side lines)
some patterns are easier to do this to than others, once you understand the pattern, it should be ok

but we are here to help

ecb

Jan in CA
06-02-2008, 07:59 PM
When you knit in the round you are always on the front side of your work. (Unless you accidentally knit inside out)

k3p1 is a multiple of 4 so make sure you either cast on the correct number or pick up the correct number. If it's off a bit from the pattern that is okay, just make it close and a multiple of 4.

You won't need to do any purling other than the p1 when you are knitting it in the round on the front size. Make sure that when you knit you are on the outside..the loop of knitting will be away from your body and your needles will be on the side close to you. Make sense?