PDA

View Full Version : Blocking

Crycket
06-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Gotta question for you....

I have always ALWAYS blocked everything I made...

I recently was given the tidbit of info that I don't need to block acrylic projects....is that true??
:think:

knitgal
06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty sure it's more the natural fibres that need to be blocked. Something that is 100% acrylic can be "blocked" by being washed and dried in the machine. It helps to even things out etc.

The.Knitter
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
No, you don't need to block acrylics. As knitgal said, toss it in the washer and then the dryer and it is blocked!

Mike
06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
In my experience it takes heat to block acrylic but with heat it does block and it stays blocked unlike natural fibers that often end up reverting back to the original shape.

Steam blocks it to the shape you want it. A dryer blocks to whatever shape it was knitted to (are you feeling lucky? :) ).

Crycket
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
No, you don't need to block acrylics. As knitgal said, toss it in the washer and then the dryer and it is blocked!

You are the one that told me acrylics don't need to be blocked...*winks*

Plantgoddess+
06-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I have never blocked acrylics. I even have a top I made over 15 years ago using a yarn from Sirdar which was 100% acrylic called the Terry look. It looks like terrycloth when knit up. It was light sport weight. I have thrown that top in the washer and the dryer and then folded it up and put it in the drawer. It has always held it's shape and I love to wear it. I finally got a hole in the ribbing on the back and so have to mend it before wearing again, but I figure on getting another 10 years or so from it.

KnitsAway
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Ack! What is blocking?

Crycket
06-06-2008, 02:48 PM
It is when you knit something and then wash, or steam the item when finished (either in pieces or in entirety) to make it lay properly.

With natural fibres in particular, they tend to stay in the shape that they first dry in. So if you take care to lay them out properly, every time you wash/dry it, it will go back to it's proper shape.

Does that sound right everyone?

KnitsAway
06-06-2008, 10:21 PM
So just shape it and let it air dry?

Crycket
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
If it is natural fibre, either hand wash or machine wash (delicate cycle, cold water) Depending on the job....of course.

If it is acrylic you can probably do a normal cycle...but then again...apparently acrylic doesn't need blocking anyway....

Then take the item, lay it out in its intended shape and yes....let it air dry. I usually find some spare space and lay out a towel, and lay the project out on it.