PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Knitted A Piece, Then Felted, That Piece, and Used it as Upholstery Fabric?

kurango
06-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Use wondering if . . .

Has Anyone Ever Knitted A Piece, Then Felted, That Piece, and Used it as Upholstery Fabric?

Since this is my next project, I was looking for any pitfalls to avoid.

Upholstery fabric is usually 60" wide, I am planning on knitting a tube, (want St st, and don't want to P every other row) and was also wondering if it is difficult to felt a tube?

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA,
Kathi

mwhite
06-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I've never done it but wouldn't think it would be a problem.... If you're going to staple it, you might want a buffer material between the staple and your felted piece so the staples won't pull through...a length of narrow binding or polyweb would work and I'd use stainless staples if you can get them. I work as a boat upholsterer and regular staples will rust from any form of moisture. A felted bag is basically a tube so no, I don't think that would be difficult either.

Jan in CA
06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
You'll just want to make sure that you check the tube every 10 min or so to make sure it's not sticking together. You could maybe tack a piece of fabric inside so if it does fold over (which is likely in the wash) it can't stick.

Cynamar
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I have a pattern somewhere for covers for chair seats that are felted and I think they might be tubes. I'll have to look at it.

msmelody
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Cynamar, I would love to know where you got that pattern from.