PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Lose My Mind!!!

ninabambam
06-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Someone please help. I am making a bolero jacket "Classic Elite" Four Seasons Vine Lace Vest (couldn't upload...too big). I have ripped this project out nine times and started over once. and I am back to where I started from. Here goes the pattern:

78 stitches

pattern: K2, *k1, yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo rep from*, end k2. I keep coming up with 79 stitches. I have put stitch holders on every nine stitches, I have marked the middle (I come out with 39 stitches on the front side of the 78 stitches). I believe the problem is somewhere in the end. Can someone please try this and tell me what I am doing wrong??! You can find the pattern on classic elite yarns. I didn't use their yarn, I am using knitpicks. Someone, please help.

Thank you.

Nina:hair: :hair:

blueygh2
06-03-2008, 04:30 PM
If I didn't calculate in a wrong way (which surely did happen...) this pattern can't come up with 78 stitches.
Because
your pattern says, knit 2 , to begin, and knit 2, to end
so you have 4 stitches.
78 minus 4...

then, the remaining number of stitches should be dividable by the stitches between * and *, but I've counted 9 stitches there, and the division doesn't give a whole number, so there must be something wrong...

Excuse me, if I'm wrong though...

Lisa R.
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't get it either. If you have 78 stitches, then you subtract the 2 on each end, that leaves 74. The pattern between the *'s is 9 stitches....and the nearest multiple of 9 is 72....so you've got 2 extra stitches in there somewhere, according to my calculations. (Though admittedly knitting math is not my strong suit).

Could it be that the 78 is a typo and should be 76?

margz3
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Nina - I think I figured it out (go figure, I'm pretty much a novice!) See here in the instructions:
Change to larger
needles and Est Vine Lace Patt: (WS) P1
(edge st, keep in St st throughout), beg Row
1 of Vine Lace Patt, work to last st, p1 (edge
st, keep in St st throughout).

It looks like you have to add a knit stitch at the beginning of the row and a purl at the end on that row. That along with the k2 at the beg and k2 at the end, and 8 repeats of *k1, yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo; rep
from* should give you 78 sts

Hope this made sense...and helped! I think you just missed those 2 extra stitches as they were written in the other part of the pattern

Here is a link to the pattern http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/pdf/FourSeasonsVineLaceVest.pdf

dustinac
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
OK I checked Ravelry and no one has mentioned a problem...so I pulled up the pattern and I think you are missing the edge sts...

You will keep them st St...so P1 work pattern and end with a P1...next Row these will be Knits...The *repeat* section is 9sts which gives you 72...then the k2s give you 76...the 2 edge sts give you the 78 :thumbsup:

Sajomaro
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
If I didn't calculate in a wrong way (which surely did happen...) this pattern can't come up with 78 stitches.
Because
your pattern says, knit 2 , to begin, and knit 2, to end
so you have 4 stitches.
78 minus 4...

then, the remaining number of stitches should be dividable by the stitches between * and *, but I've counted 9 stitches there, and the division doesn't give a whole number, so there must be something wrong...

Excuse me, if I'm wrong though...

You're not wrong! I took a look at the pattern and the Vine Lace Pattern is worked over 9 sts + 4. Your also suppose to purl the first and last stitch of every row. So the 78 sts drops to 76, minus the 4 knit sts giving you 72 sts which is easily divided by 9.

Ninabambam - not sure why you'd end up with 79 sts instead of 78. Are you doing all the decreases? Maybe you miss one in one of the repeats or perhaps you did an extra yo at some point. Which I could be more help.

ninabambam
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Margaret,

I am not sure of this. Row 1 (WS) is all purl. Row 2 starts with K2 and ends in K2 which makes the pattern in stockinette. I am ready to lose my mind.

ninabambam
06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Thank you, I don't have much hair left but it will grow back! Thank you very much for your help. This site is wonderful!