PDA

View Full Version : Licorice Cardi for Baby Girl

MerigoldinWA
06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
This is my latest creation. Someone asked me to make a sweater to go with a pair of baby booties that were pink, white, and black. I shopped for yarn to match what they were made of at Jo-Ann's Fabrics and the only yarn I could find that had both a black and a white was RH Soft. I first got something else for the pink; it was a very light color and when I tried to use it you couldn't tell it from the white. So this pink is the stuff DH and I "made" by splitting a strand of a light weight pink and putting the split strand with a whole strand. It was an unknown brand from my stash.

Here's the picture.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/SmallLicoriceCardi.jpg

I designed it myself, and there is room for improvement, but I like it. It reminded me of pink, white and black licorice candies I've had all the while I was working on it.

There was no sewing. Made bottom up in one piece to the armholes, divided and worked to shoulders. 3-needle BO for shoulder seams and I picked up stitches at the shoulders and worked on DPNs, down for the sleeves. Wide cuffs that can be turned up. Button bands and collar picked up and knitted on. Crochet trim on the collar.

It turned out to be about 23 inches around and I'm calling it a one year size. She wanted a 6-9 month size. :shrug: What does that mean anyway. They can start wearing it at 6 months, but it is too big and then they outgrow it at 9 months? I tried, but this is what happened. :lol: Oh, well, I think it will fit sometime next winter.

sue in canada
06-04-2008, 04:37 PM
How cute. You are right, it is just like a Bassett’s Licorice Allsort from UK

GirlChris
06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
so cute

Jan in CA
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
That is just adorable! I love it! :yay:

scout52
06-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh that is sooooo cute!! i love the colors.

bambi
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Adorable and really great job on your own pattern. :inlove:

Bambi

Slim
06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
That is just adorable! You did a wonderful job. Love your design.

MerigoldinWA
06-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you ladies for the comments!

Sue in Canada, I even Googled pink, white, black licorice and although I found an all licorice site that was very interesting, I didn't find the candies I had remembered. I'll have to look for the Bassetts and see if they are the ones I remember. This is making my mouth water, just thinking about them. That could be because it is 3:30 and I have been dinking around on the computer instead of taking time to eat. LOL

Debkcs
06-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Oh I am so jealous that you came up with that and I didn't! What a beautiful sweater, and the colors are just right for a baby girl. I can't imagine the time it took to take apart the yarn and twist it back together.

You should copywright the pattern and sell it.

Gina V
06-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Wow!! Fantastic job and it's just adorable!

dustinac
06-05-2008, 09:39 AM
:inlove: too cute!! It looks great

nannaknits
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh I love your little sweater. I want for my Granddaughter. I love the pink and black combo. Too Cute!

sue in canada
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
You can see a picture of the candy here
http://www.candywarehouse.com/allsorts.html

Doublereeder2
06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
What a beautiful little sweater! I cannot even imagine taking yarn apart and rejoining OR desigining a sweater! WOW!

MerigoldinWA
06-05-2008, 11:22 AM
More thanks!!

Sue, I looked up the allsorts yesterday after you gave me the name and that is definately the same idea for the kind of candy I remember. The picture you linked me to even has one with all three colors together, which was what I kept thinking I had seen sometime in my life. Thanks for your trouble.

When we separated the yarn and made the 6 ply I used, we didn't twist it together just used it kind of like you would two strands held together, only I made a ball of the 6 ply and worked from it.

GiddyKnitter
06-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I love this little cadigan... we will have to call you Bertie Bassett now xx

MerigoldinWA
06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
GiddyKnitter, I just learned who Bertie Bassett is reading about Bassett's licorice on Wikipedia. :-) Also read that Dr. Who used some sort of candy man (evidently too much like Bertie) in one of its episodes and got called on it, and he never came back. LOL

ritaw
06-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Very cute :)

GiddyKnitter
06-05-2008, 04:15 PM
GiddyKnitter, I just learned who Bertie Bassett is reading about Bassett's licorice on Wikipedia. :-) Also read that Dr. Who used some sort of candy man (evidently too much like Bertie) in one of its episodes and got called on it, and he never came back. LOL

I think Bertie is really cute and cant imagine him in Dr Who... not scary enough!!! :wink:

Knit4Fun
06-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Love it...looks great! :hug:

ArtLady1981
06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh YUMMY! Wonderful work! You are a knitting artist!