PDA

View Full Version : Ever translate a chart into a pattern?

SBG
06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I've started on a scarf that has a chart, a lace pattern. I really believe I'm going to screw up hopelessly using a chart. I'm very left-brained. Anybody ever take the time to go through a pattern with a chart, and create a regular pattern from it, k1, p1, k2tog, etc. ? I'm wondering how that would work out, if it'd be worth the time, and if there are any tricky things to watch out for maybe others have run into before.

suzeeq
06-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Yep, I write out a chart if I really want to do it and there's no text pattern. I can read charts but I can't knit from them. I figured out that it's because I knit for almost 30 years from text patterns that go from left to right, and charts are read right to left. It sounds harder, but that's what I'm used to.... :shrug:

SBG
06-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I know, when I found that part out I decided I'd better change it over to text. I'll forget every few rows what I'm doing and never finish the thing!

wannabe
06-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Yes, I learned to do that from a gal here on this site. I just started a new project with both pictures and cables (2 charts). It would be a disaster if I did not transfer it to text first. The really simple thing to do is run the instructions through your computer scanner first, then copy/paste. Insert your words as descriptive instructions (c3, k2, etc) that describe the charts into the place where it says work chart. Then you can just copy and paste for each row and insert the instructions for that specific row translated from the chart into text! I feel better just starting out and knowing that I have done this before I began to knit. Took about a half hour of time on the computer. I don't have a scanner, so I had to type the instructions directly from the book and then insert the translation as above.

wannabe
06-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Woops, forgot to say that you can also put the charts on a photocopy machine and increase the picture (I used 155%). That way I have an easy to SEE chart to double check against if I need to. Cost .35 cents and well worth it!

SBG
06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I don't have a scanner either, but I think typing is faster than copy/paste for me anyway. I am *definitely* going to do this now!

SBG
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I just translated it. It really didn't take long, and I am SO glad I did! Even in translating I kept forgetting to go right to left sometimes. This chart is flat, and it started left to right, but the knit picks tutorial said they start right to left, which confused me for a minute but I think I did it right.