PDA

View Full Version : Got Gauge.....But NOT Really!

Arielluria
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Can someone explain to me how I can get gauge stitch-wise but not row-wise???????

Here's what I mean: the pattern said something like 12 st. to the inch and 17 rows to the inch. BUT with 12 st. to the inch I got 25 rows!!!!!

:thud:What gives????????????? And what, if anything, do you change on the pattern?

suzeeq
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
It happens to most knitters. I suppose the answer is that's the row gauge when blocked, or after the garment is hanging. Mostly you don't really have to get row gauge, as patterns will have you knit for X inches to a certain point, rather than X rows. So you probably won't have to change anything on a pattern. You could go up a needle size, it probably won't change the stitch gauge than much, but could affect your row gauge. And if you're using a yarn that's very different, it may give you a different row gauge though the sts/inch could be okay.

And I forgot to ask - is your item knit in the round and are you doing the swatch flat? That can make a difference too.

Arielluria
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks. It's knit flat, it's the Oblique cardigan by Veronik Avery. The row gauge didn't bother me too much, I just did one or two less increases on the body and sleeve (since I'm not that tall). But still feeling like a newbie knitter I thought I'd ask to see if it was me or the yarn.

suzeeq
06-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Sometimes it's the yarn ;) and for a cardi, your row gauge may stretch out as it gets bigger. That's one of the problems with doing swatches, they're not very large, even if you do a 10x10" one and won't mimic the actual item much. At that point you might as well just start the piece and use it for a gauge swatch. Some people do that, starting with a sleeve, so there's less to rip out if it doesn't work out right.

BTW, I think you're a little mixed up on the gauge required it's "17 stitches and 25 rows = 4 inches in moss stitch". So it looks like your rows are okay, but the sts need working on. And did you do it in moss (seed) st?

Arielluria
06-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I don't have the exact stitch and row count in front of me, I just remember the row count was REALLY off even though the stitch count per inch matched. I was picking #s out of thin air.

marlajap
06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
suzeeq correctly notes that row gauge will not matter in most patterns, since they usually tell you to knit until your piece measures "X" inches and then do "Y". However, there are some patterns I've looked at where row gauge will matter, because the instructions are all about knitting "X" number of rows before doing "Y" - this would be also apply to a pattern where the instructions state to knit "X" number of pattern repeats before doing "Y", because that works out the same as "X" number of rows - implied rather than clearly stated, but there you have it. Oblique is like the majority of patterns, though, and references knitting to a certain number of inches, so you should be ok.

Arielluria
06-05-2008, 12:30 PM
In such a case (where you are supposed to do a # of "X" rows before doing "Y"), can't you just do a little math to make sure the X and Y will be where you need it to be on your body?

That's what I did with Oblique which has shaping to it, otherwise, the hip increases would be down around my thighs!
:teehee: