PDA

View Full Version : looking for a pattern

catcook
06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I am visiting my sister and she has this dish clothe that I really like. Its knitted and the center looks like garter stitch starting at a corner working toward center adding then decreasing to opposite corner. What I can't figure out is the edge this makes, it looks like its made at the same time (part of the row) To me (but I am a complete novice) that it starts with 2 knit stitches with a twist and the there is a hole with the yarn twisted before starting the main part Does anyone know what I am talking about? I've looked on the internet and can't find a pattern like it. If this doesn't make sence I have taken a picture but won't be home for another week on my own computer to download it so just wondering if anyone can come up with something. Thank you Love you guys, I'm trying to teach my sister to knit hahahha when I'm just learning so I gave her this web site where I learned. Its the best!!

RoseGrows
06-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Here's what you do:

cast on 4 stitches
next row: knit two, yarn over, knit two
next row: knit two, yarn over, knit remaining stitches
Note: to make the hole appear, knit in the back of the yarn over stitch.
Keep doing this until you have 46 stitches on the needle:
next row: knit one, knit two together, yarn over, knit two together, knit remaining stitches.
Keep doing this until you have 4 stitches remaining.
Bind off the 4 stitches.
Simple pattern. It will become even easier once you have made a few dishcloths. Good luck.

Jan in CA
06-08-2008, 12:13 AM
When I make these I start with 3 stitches. I increase with a KFB in the middle stitch and from then on do the YO after two stitches. Only increase once per row.

catcook
06-09-2008, 06:42 PM
The first one I made wellllll I don't know what I did but it didn't turn out right, but after all it is a dishrag, so its useable. Then second one turned out just right! Thank you both for showing me the way. I will be a dish rag knitaholic now. lol:yay:

cam90066
06-09-2008, 08:13 PM
It looked like this? If so, there are lots of variations on this pattern online. (Oft times referred to as 'Grandma's Favorite.') This one found here (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html)

cam

catcook
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
thank you- yes thats it! What size of needle do you use or does it matter?

suzeeq
06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Use needles appropriate for the thickness of the yarn, maybe a little larger if you want a lacey, squishy effect.