PDA

View Full Version : What makes a classic?

booskibabe
06-06-2008, 08:35 PM
As I considered what to make next, I realized that I want it to be a classic - something I will still be wearing 5 or 10 years from now that will still look fabulous. So what elements are involved in the making of a classic? Clean lines, attention to detail, fiber choice, color choice...? Tell me (or show me) what you feel are classics.:muah:

mwhite
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
As I considered what to make next, I realized that I want it to be a classic - something I will still be wearing 5 or 10 years from now that will still look fabulous. So what elements are involved in the making of a classic? Clean lines, attention to detail, fiber choice, color choice...? Tell me (or show me) what you feel are classics.:muah:

You have described what I feel makes something classic... in a garment or any item... attention to detail is #1! Clean lines, certainly along with fiber and color choices. Another is tailored for your body, accenting the positive! Can be worn dressed up or down.

Crycket
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh leg warmers...*evil sarcastic grins*

I feel like anything slightly form fitting, in neutral earthy colours are usually pretty classic. I love looking through my moms old patterns from the 80s. You can always tell what was a "trend" and what is still relevant today.

Plantgoddess+
06-07-2008, 02:58 PM
If you can find some patterns even dating back to the 40's and 50's and still find them attractive and could see yourself wearing them, that to me would be a classic. I have one top and several sweaters that I knit more than a decade ago that I still wear regularly today. They are more neutral in color, beige, lt brown, gray/green, maroon/wine, muted blues. The patterns date back to the early 80's but I would still consider making the pattern again today with some of the beautiful new yarns available.

booskibabe
06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
So what style elements do they have that make those sweaters so wearable? What is the fit like? How long are they?

Plantgoddess+
06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
The sweaters are basic with some cabling. No extreme shaping on the neckline. Basic sleeves no big poufy arms. There is probably a couple of inches of positive ease (which is great because I'm 20 lbs. heavier than when I made them.) Standard ribbing, just your basic plain jane sweaters with some stitch design.
The top has a placket neckline with 3 buttons and a3" layover collar. It has short sleeves sewn in with a fold in the fabric at the top of sleeve which does give a little pouf, but I like the look. I don't have footballer's type shoulders. The top is done in a dk weight acrylic boucle and has 2 stitch cables throughout. I love the top and have made the pattern 3 times but have given the other 2 away to sisters. If I can find yarn I like I will make myself another one of those.
In other words there is nothing in the design or color that screams a particular time in fashion history.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/salina
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/incredible-custom-fit-raglan
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seamless-yoke-sweater
Here are a few links that in my opinion would be something I would wear for years. I should tell you that nobody I know would come to me for fashion advice since I hate shopping for clothes and therefore am willing to wear the same things for years. I am almost never "in style".

mwhite
06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree, cables are classic!

booskibabe
06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow, those sweaters are gorgeous. Basically, if I stick to neutrals or colors that I like, simple detailing, slim fit, I should have a classic.
Right now I'm making Ubernatural in a tan yarn (bernat bamboo). Hopefully it too will be a classic for me. :)

Plantgoddess+
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I would think so. If you look at some of Elizabeth Zimmerman's patterns or some of the patterns that were done over the years you can still find them attractive even though the design was done many years ago. I also think that colors you have always liked to wear will continue to be a favorite for you. I have always liked colors that go with jeans as well as beige or gray or black slacks.