PDA

View Full Version : National Do Not Call Registry >>>>>>

boo1
06-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Does this really work? I'm getting bombarded with telemarketers and I'm about to unplug my home phone.

Any have any info for me?

saracidaltendencies
06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
YES! It works very well. When I first registered my number, I got a couple calls, but, once I told them I was on the Do Not Call list and if they continued to call I would report them, I received no more calls from telemarketers.

However, any organizations or charities that you have donated to and have also provided a phone number to are not exempt from calling.

Eccie
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Yup, we're on it too and it works wonderfully

MaryB
06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Yes, it works well, but remember, political calls are allowed. In this election year you may still feel bombarded!

zkimom
06-07-2008, 06:55 AM
I think it helps. Combine it with caller ID and it helps a lot.

sinistral_needler
06-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I just heard on the radio that it's a good idea to register your cell phone number(s) on the list as well .. apparently the telemarketers can call that if they have the number too.

losnana
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
It does help a lot- just not with political calls and charities. But it is certainly worth the few minutes it takes to get on the registry. Be sure to list all of your numbers.

ecb
06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
it works very well, for about 5 weeks after you sign up you might get calls, I even got an upswing of calls for a while, from One specific telemarketter, then I started asking to speak to a supervisor at the onset of the calls (to keep the call over 30 seconds) and then called the *56 (I think that is the number, I have not had to use it for a LONG time) to report them, it stopped.

ecb

Plantgoddess+
06-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I too have had great success with the registry. I signed up as soon as it was available and the calls have disappeared aside from charities, political and a few survey calls.

HollyP
06-07-2008, 10:29 PM
We signed up as soon as it opened and haven't had a problem since.
I didn't know you could register cell phones! I get so many sales calls it is ridiculous. I keep getting one about the warranty on my car is about to expire. They call every single day most days 2x. Funny thing is my car is almost 13 yrs old, the warranty has been expired for a while now!

brendajos
06-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Most political and survey calls will stop, too, if you are nice and ask them. Getting nasty and yelling at them about the law won't ever work because they know they aren't breaking the law and the people who are on the phones won't care about putting you in for another phone call if you are ugly with them. (not saying you are, just speaking in general.) If you ask nicely to remove you from their calling programs they will usually do it. They don't want to call people who aren't receptive to their calls either because it is just wasted time.

I have heard that there are some groups that are being pretty bullly-ish about getting donations for certain candidates. I would suggest getting their company information and reporting it to the campaign. They obviously don't want that kind of behavior associated with their campaigns and will usually work to put a stop to it right away.

Remember that if you have done business with a company they also have the right to call you for a certain amount of time after the transaction (18 months sticks out in my head.) You have to tell them you don't want any more phone calls if you want removed from their lists.

And remember that when you give someone your phone number, they will often try to sell that information. Find out what they are using the phone number for before giving it out, and if it is someone you want to have your number, make sure to tell them that the number isn't for sale.

Google your phone number... with the dashes. If it is in there, you can have the number removed. Also check with some of the online phone books... you should be able to do the same thing with them.

If you get phone calls to your cell phone let them know it is a cell. It is still illegal to market to a cell phone because you can't be forced to "pay" for the marketing phone calls. Since you are charged minutes (unlimited service or not) for your phone calls, it is technically the same as making you pay for the call... thusly illegal. Once you tell them that it is a cell phone, they have to stop calling it.

Remember that when you are trying to get your numbers removed from mailing lists it can take up to 90 days to completely remove you from the list... be patient but it will get better. And YES! Sign up for the DNC registry! :thumbsup: