PDA

View Full Version : Knitting with bamboo yarn

Ilove2knit
06-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I have some fingering weight bamboo/silk/cotton yarn, and I'm trying to decide what to make with it. I'm pretty sure I have enough for a tank top of some kind. I've heard that bamboo is very "drapey". Does that mean that it doesn't hold its shape, like cotton? Would it work for a pattern with a lot of ribbing, or not? Does it tend to stretch out widthwise? Does it "grow" longer? I've never used bamboo, or silk. I don't want to get all the way done with knitting a top, and have it turn out terrible. So, please, tell me everything you think I ought to know about it! :)

suzeeq
06-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I think you ought to take some of it and knit up a sample, in ribbing and/or other st patterns and see how it behaves. Make a fairly large one, about 6x6 or so, hang it up, lay it flat, drape it over a chair back, maybe even wash it. That way you'll see just how your yarn behaves; they're not all the same.

Jan in CA
06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I have heard that if you knit bamboo with a smaller needle size it helps it hold it's shape. Probably best to choose a drapey pattern to start with though, too. ;) How many yards to you have?

They don't have tank top on here, but vest is probably similar.
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm

bambi
06-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I knit a short sleeve sweater with Bernat Bamboo and I wish I had done it on smaller needles. Made the right guage with 6mm needles but the fabric was too drapey and I know that when I wear it, it will gain about 3 inches in length. I wish I had used 4.5 mm needles.

Blocking it made it look fuzzy, the opposite of what blocking usually does.

I don't think it would hold cables well, either. If I try bamboo again, I might try a simple shawl or scarf or some accent piece.

Bambi

Mirl56
06-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Go to the website of the company that makes the yarn and see what types of projects they suggest for the yarn. Also, if you're at Ralvery look up the yarn there to see what other people have made with it.

Ilove2knit
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
All the writing on the labels is in an Asian language; I think it's Korean. I bought the yarn off Ebay, and I am not going to ever contact the seller again(very bad experience). From the auction ad, the total yardage is 1465 yards. The yarn is 4-ply fingering weight, and the recommended needle size is 3. I guess I'll just have to buy some tiny needles and make up a swatch. Thanks, all!

auburnchick
06-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey there! I have bamboo that I bought to make this (http://www.gailknits.com/in_house_designs/gallery/pages/bamboolacy_jacket.htm) pattern (that's the store owner modeling it...it's her pattern). See how drapey it is? Of course, it's a lacy pattern, so that might be why. Anyhow, maybe you could make something sort of like it.

Good luck!