PDA

View Full Version : Loose Knitter Advise

ninabambam
06-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Does anyone have advise on how to become a tighter knitter. My stitch are not all the same and at also have to go up to meet a gauge. I am most comfortable wrapping the yarn around my pinky twice then in the palm of my hand and onto my index finger. My knitting is okay but would like it to look precise. Any advise would be appreicated.

Nina
:knitting:

suzeeq
06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Practice. It just takes practice. And those really neat even sts are not necessarily from how they were knit - blocking or washing the piece after it's done evens out the stitches quite a lot.

Plantgoddess+
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
What Suzeeq said. It's also easier to do decreases if you are a looser knitter. I also knit loose and it makes life less frustrating if your not fighting to get the tip of the needle into your stitches.

Jaxhil
06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I knit very loosely as well~ I find wrapping twice around my index and a loop around my pinkie works great! Of course, I do agree, that being a loose knitter is WAY more fun than knitting tightly. When I first learned I knit so tightly its a wonder I could knit at all, lol.

good luck!~

jess_hawk
06-09-2008, 03:12 AM
What they said!
I knit very tight and although I've learned to loosen up some, I still sometimes struggle to do decreases or wider cables.
knitting tight or loose doesnt neccessarily affect the consistancy of the stitches. A really tight knitter might get some looser stitches, and I've seen some loose knit stuff that was extremely evenly knit, even pre-blocking.
Practice, Practice, Practice.
Good luck!

hartleystudio
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I am a pretty tight knitter myself and it is a drag sometimes so feel good about your looseness! I do understand that you want to knit a little tighter and it may be the yarn you're working with as well. Some wool is pretty slippery and I find that if I put a little hand lotion on my hands, rub it in well, and then knit it allows me to hold on to the yarn a little better. I knit something with Lorna's Laces last and I had a really hard time holding onto it, even with it wrapped twice around my pinkie and index finger. The lotion really helped. I didn't notice that it got on the wool, I rubbed it in really well.

Good luck!

BobbiKnits
06-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I have the opposite problem! My knitting is always too tight, and it gets hard for the stiches to slide on the needles. I've been trying to work on loosening my grip on the needles, which seems to be helping.

Doublereeder2
06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I too am a loose woman - I mean knitter :-) And I also wrap the yarn twice around my pinky then over the middle and index fingers. Just try to keep the tension even, don't worry about loose.

And get used to the fact you will have to go down 2 needle sizes (or however many) to get gauge for everything. I don't even start to swatch with the suggested needles because I know it will be way too big.