PDA

View Full Version : Right side vs. Wrong side rows

heatherg23
06-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I get so confused sometimes about which side is considered RS and/or WS rows.

I have a book that says 1 thing then a video that says another. I would consider the right side rows the front of the item which is the even numbered rows.

Is the Wrong side the odd numbered rows?

thanks!!!

heather

Plantgoddess+
06-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Looking at the shawl I am knitting, the chart has the right side on the odd number row. Thinking about sweaters and other flat items I've made, I usually consider the 1st row knit as the right side which would be the odd number row.

heatherg23
06-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your help!!

Heather

Plantgoddess+
06-07-2008, 03:19 PM
You're very welcome. I can well remember puzzling over that myself when I was learning many years ago. It's a whole new world of terminology and skills. It reminds me of when I was learning to cook after I got married. All those cooking terms! I didn't think I'd ever get an entire meal cooked all at the same time.

suzeeq
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
The odd numbered rows are often the RS, but not always. The RS is the side that faces out, in stockinette that would be the knit side, in a pattern stitch, it's the side that has all the fancy sts on it so they can be seen. Sometimes a designer will start with row 1 (and therefore all the odd rows) as the WS, so it depends on the pattern. Most of them designate a RS/WS, though some will assume that you know the knit row is the RS in stockinette.