PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Recipes??

jdee
06-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have a good salsa recipe. It can be a little spicy, but not too hot. I'm a wimp.:aww:

PCwombat
06-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Hehe, funny you posted this now. I was at a bbq on Saturday, and my friend's boyfriend made this awesome watermelon salsa. It was basically watermelon, green pepper, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, and jalapeņo. It was so good. Not too sweet. And, you can keep it as hot or as mild as you want based on how much jalapeņo you put in. I'm not sure the exact recipe, but he said it was all over the internet, so you could probably google watermelon salsa.

blueeyes28
06-09-2008, 06:56 AM
2 cups diced seeded tomatos
1/2 cup diced white onion
2 TBLS chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 TBLS fresh lime juice
1 TBLS olive oil
1 tsp minced jalepeno pepper
Mix all ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before refridgerating.

Cynamar
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't follow a recipe. I throw in what I like. I use a little hand-mixer thing with a handle on top that you turn to chop things and I put things in first that I want smaller, like some of the cilantro, hot peppers (not many of these as I'm a wimp--was on a bland diet in school for my tummy), and a couple of garlic cloves and I chop them a bit and then add onion and tomatillas and some cilantro and chop a bit and then add tomatoes and cilantro. Somewhere in there I add some vinegar and oil and salt and pepper and cilantro. I can't remember what else I add. Oh! Cilantro! That's it.

Knit4Fun
06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Here's my favorite homemade salsa to date...

Rachael Ray's So Mild Salsa

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium green pepper, seeded & finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 15 oz. can chunky-style crushed tomatoes

Heat small saucepan over moderate heat and add oil, onions, peppers & garlic. Season veggies with cumin, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until veggies are just tender. Remove pan from heat and add canned tomatoes. Stir salsa to combine and transfer to small serving bowl. Serve at room temp. or chilled.

Yield 2 cups salsa

I'm going to try making my own black bean and corn salsa later today and next week it'll be mango salsa!

jdee
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
These sound good. Thanks for your responces. One of my tomato plants has a beautiful tomato on it. When it's ready to pick, I'm going to try some of of these.:)

jdee
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh, let me share my husband's recipe for low fat tortilla chips.

We use Mission white corn tortillas, cut them into fourths. Next line them onto a cookie sheet, that's been lined with a piece of parchment paper. (They can touch but not overlap). Give each chip a small shot of non-fat cooking spray, and salt to taste (we use a couple of pinches of Kosher salt, but it's up to you). Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F, until golden brown and crispy. It takes our oven about 10-14 minutes. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Dangles
06-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Roma tomatos are great to use in a salsa :)