PDA

View Full Version : EZ's Pi Shawl

cookworm
06-09-2008, 12:17 AM
I've been on Ravelry, on the Knit Picks' group "A Knitting Year with Elizabeth", and I searched through KH posts to get an answer to my question, but to no avail, so I'm hoping to get an answer to some questions I have about EZ's Pi shawl.

I have EZ's "Knitter's Almanac", and I didn't find any specific information on what exact weight of yarn is recommended for this shawl. Off the top of my head, I think she recommends 3 sts / 1" on size 7-10 needles if I remember correctly, though I'm guessing that the yarn used must be relatively on the finer side. I tried a swatch of the pattern with some KP's laceweight yarn I had, but it looked terrible (I think the yarn was too fine). Should fingering weight yarn be a good choice, or even something a bit thicker? How fine is fingering weight yarn? I've never seen it or touched it in person.

Also, does EZ recommend a lace pattern with a specific stitch count? I know that she gives instructions on a Pi shawl with just the increase yarn-over holes and plain stockinette stitch as well as a lacier version, but she also encourages experimentation using other lace stitch patterns, so I was wondering if she made a recommendation on what the stitch count of any patterns might be.

suzeeq
06-09-2008, 12:25 AM
I think you could do a fingering or sport weight and get close to the gauge, though it may not be necessary as this isn't fitted. I'm doing a shawl with laceweight on size 10s and getting about 4 sts/inch.

zkimom
06-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Did you look here?

Zimmermaniacs discussion: MAIN TOPIC: Pi Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/zimmermaniacs/1630/26-50#31)

I didn't look through all the pages but there seems to be a lot of discussion about it there.

You can also email Kelley Petkun from Knit Picks directly with questions. It may take her a little bit to get back to you but she generally replies and is very helpful.

You can email her through her Elizabeth's Year list or directly from Knit Picks.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Best,
Susan

newamy
06-09-2008, 06:17 PM
The link zkimom posted is a good one. I think you can use anything from lace wt to DK wt. Worsted may be a bit heavy. School House Press unspun icelandic is very popular for this shawl but it's an odd yarn. It is like knitting with sport wt roving. Several people on Ravelry have used that yarn. Your initial attempt may not have looked good either because the needle size should go down a bit, or because lace looks better when it is blocked. Even just garter stitch looking open and lacy on big needles would look better blocked. You may just have to adjust needle sizes till you find something you like, gauge isn't critical because the shawl will turn out very big in the end regardless of what you use, unless you are aiming for a specific size. Elizabeth Zimmerman doesn't expect you to follow her directions to the letter, its more of a guide and starting point so you end up with a beautiful and unique result of your own.
As for inserting lace patterns, I haven't made one and I haven't knit too much in the way of lace so I don't know, I think once you have made the YO increases then you can insert a lace pattern where the repeats will fit in however many stitches you have evenly. But read the Ravelry discussion.

dreamsherl
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I know Jared Flood made this shawl. You can contact him thru http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2008/01/pi-shawl-blanket.html

cookworm
06-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all of the really helpful information and for the links, everybody! When I went on Ravelry, people were using everything from laceweight yarn to worsted weight, and although I know EZ's mantra is to customize things, I also wasn't sure where to start weight-wise with yarn to give me the gauge she recommended. As it turns out, I had a leftover skein of some nice worsted weight wool in my stash, and I wanted to practice that cast-on, so I began by casting on, then I thought I would try to do a few beginning rounds to see if I could get the whole concept. I really liked the way things looked, so I kept going, and now I'm about 40" across for what started as a "practice" shawl! I didn't do any lace pattern for this project nor any of the decorated yarn-overs as she shows for the other shawl as I wanted this shawl to be really warm, and actually, I was really looking forward to just working rows and rows "mindless knitting" as EZ calls it. Even with size 10 needles, I am still at 4 sts/1", so I probably should've gone up to a size 13 needle, which is why I was perplexed at how I could achieve gauge using thinner yarn with such a large needle when I was already using relatively big needles with thicker yarn.

cookworm
06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
If you didn't want the holes in the fabric on the increase rows, would it be possible to do a M1 increase instead of the yarn-over? That might look really cool with some Noro yarn and plain stockinette fabric, or even some lace patterns!