PDA

View Full Version : Should I Take My Knitting To My College Graduation?

auburnchick
06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi all! Well, I just found out that we won't have a soccer tournament the weekend of my college graduation, so I will be walking across that stage (much to my teenage daughter's chagrin)!
:cheering:

I immediately thought of my knitting because there's a yarn store close to the campus, and I really want to go...especially since it's 1 1/2 hours from my house, and I never, ever get to go.

Anyhow, I'm thinking that the ceremony could take a little while to get started, so naturally, I could spend that time knitting.

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Maybe should I take something small and stick it in my purse?

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

:muah:

knitgal
06-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't. The whole process is very long and you will want to knit, but it may seem disrespectful to the people speaking or accepting their degrees. Little do they know you can knit AND listen, but I still wouldn't- sorry!

Ladylou
06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey There!

Congrats!:cheering:

As tempting as it is, I would have to agree that it might be a tad on the disrespectful side.

I was at a graduation once and when their child graduated, a bunch of people up and left. This happened so much that the stadium was *half-empty* by the time everyone had walked. So sad, right? Its definetely not that bad:teehee: but still could be taken the wrong way.

But definetely go shopping!:teehee:

Love,
Lexie:muah:

MAmaDawn
06-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I would. I think you can control yourself to only knit when you are waiting.

Congrats!

Ivy19
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I would too. Take a small project and knit during the speeches - I'm sure the graduating "kids" in the group will be doing other than listening (like passing around bottles of beer) and at least you'll be listening.

Congrats on graduating! I, too, was an "adult" when I graduated from college and I think I was so much more appreciative of the education than the younger people around me. But it was a blast!

cheesiesmom
06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Congratulations. You should be proud. And in answer to your question, No.

Jan in CA
06-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. Where are you going to put it when you have to get up?

Congrats though!

wholycow
06-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I agree w/Knitgal..It would seem to me to be disrespectful.
Give your full attention to the moment,drink it in,& enjoy it. Congrats!

Doublereeder2
06-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't knit but I would shop!

SteveDallas
06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I would have taken mine if I'd been knitting at the time. "Walking across that stage?" That was reserved for doctoral degrees at my graduation. We peons receiving bachelor's and master's degrees simply stood up, in place, as we listened to the dean of our school (arts & sciences, business, music, nursing) bestow our degrees on us all at once, and then we sat down again. Yawn. Heck, I'd have brought a gameboy.

jheatherley
06-09-2008, 07:01 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Debkcs
06-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd take it, but just for before it starts. We sat around for an hour and a half before, and it would have been good to have something to do besides talk. You can always pull it out again if you 'need' to. :)

BTW, congratulation on your graduation! Are you going to take the summer off? What's next for you?

auburnchick
06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm working but not going to school. I hope to teach in the fall, but my district is undergoing severe budget cuts, so I don't think there's going to be a position available. I might have to bide my time.

I might go ahead and start attending school to finish up the "education" courses I have to take to get my final certification.

joannabanana
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I would, too, if it's a large school where you won't get to walk across stage. They didn't even tell us that we wouldn't actually get to walk when I graduated about a million years ago. I wouldn't have even gone if I'd known that. My parents just got to see me in a mob of black-gowned students stand up and sit down. Woo Hoo.

If it's a small school, and you'll get to walk across stage, leave it in the car.

auburnchick
06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I have absolutely no idea how many people will be there. Goodness. It's not a large school, but the graduation will cover people who technically finished in March and June. Hmmm...

I may stick a pair of socks in my purse. :teehee:

Of course, I would only knit before the thing started. Not during. I would hate to miss my name.

SteveDallas
06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
They didn't even tell us that we wouldn't actually get to walk when I graduated about a million years ago.
I was a music major, so I was required to be at graduation my first three years to play in the band. So I had a great deal of knowledge about how things were done. :sleepy:

Wanda Witch
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I would say enjoy this very important moment in your life. The knitting will not leave you, but this moment is forever. Congrats on your achievement.

snowbear
06-10-2008, 12:24 AM
The professional took 45 minutes. the waiting between speeches and different departements took forever. I listened to the speeches, but when each group file across, I admit I did number puzzles. There were beverages passed back and forth, lol and some had radios... ( yes transiter radios...) There was some big game they were listening to. I think bb play offs.

so as the row in front of me would leave we would stand, put our stuff in our seats, and then follow, the row ahead of us woule be back as the seat behind us started to leave. the front row was back as we arrived. Our stuff was watched by friends, and ushers. There were books, radios, pencil games, pocket games... non electrnical... . No one made noise, and we all got by. In college, the same way, The same stadium. lol

We had progressed to better books, better radios, hand held electronical toys, and nicer pencils for the pencil puzzles.

We were there 3.5 hrs the 2nd time. I would have gone nuts if i couldn't have done something. If i had knit at the time, I would have. I do know some of the teachers were knitting and crocheting as they watched us.

Our university was laid back, but still had a lot of fundamental rules. I later learned that they were making a blanket to represent our class in the home ec building.

My point being... take something small... If you want take it out and knit, if you don't leave it in the purse. Just don't take single points and drop them! Knit in circular that night... That would be embarrasing... dropping a needle... ok by me saying tha it will happen to me somewhere sometime..

I'm shutting up now...

Maddison
06-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I think you know when it's right and wrong to knit. Honestly, if you have time to kill beforehand, why not knit? It's way more fun than sitting around doing nothing. And, remember, bring needles that don't click! Test 'em out first, if you decide to knit during the, ahem, boring parts, you don't want it heard by everyone. :teehee:

figaro
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Is there any way you can ask other students or teachers, etc. if it would be ok to bring maybe a sock or something to stick in a bag to knit with while waiting? That way you could take your cues from the others, if others are bringing something to occupy themselves, then go for it...:X:. If not, then be prepared to sit and be bored....:sleepy:.

And here is another Congratulations to you especially being able to go to your ceremony!:balloons:

auburnchick
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I don't think so. I took online classes through a brick and mortar college -- they have branches everywhere and the main campus is in Alabama. I've hardly ever had to talk to a "live" person...except for my advisor, and she's at a small auxillary location here, so she probably won't know.

I'll take something small for my purse and play it by ear. I certainly do not want to be disrespectful, but I cannot fathom the thought of sitting for a long time...beforehand...without something to do.

McKnitty
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I went to a college graduation not too long ago and we (the audience) were amused because most of the soon-to-be-grads had their cell phones and were either talking on the phone or sending text-messages through most of the ceremony. I'm sure some were even playing games.

Anyway, just remember that everyone in the audience can see you.

auburnchick
06-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Anyway, just remember that everyone in the audience can see you.

Hmmm...then maybe I'll have to take my Malabrigo...let them get an eyeful of beautiful yarn! :teehee:

Too bad I already finished my No-Hair Chemo Cap (for a friend). That would have kept them wondering. I worked on that during my son's academic awards, and one of my friends, sitting across the gym, said (on the phone later) that she tried to figure out what I was knitting the entire time.

feministmama
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
The only place I woudn't knit is a funeral. Other than that have at it! I wish I had brough some knitting to my graduation. Talk about snoozefest!

jhelanee
06-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I would take somethings small to work on while you are lining up, waiting for things to begin, etc., since that can take quite a while. For the rest, use your judgement, although I would probably err on the side of not knitting through most of the actual ceremony.

GinnyG
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm in the "go for it" camp!! In my experience with graduations (and I've been to a significant number in the last few years) knitting is mild compared to what some of the graduates do!!!

1to1
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I'd take my knitting and then when I walked across the stage I'd make sure everyone noticed my hand-knitted socks. :woohoo:

Well maybe not the socks part...but I'd take a small project to work on just in case.

Congratulations!!!!:cheering:

Plantgoddess+
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I'd take something to knit. If you don't feel it's appropriate or you don't have time to then so be it. If you do find time to knit then you have it with you.

auburnchick
06-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd take my knitting and then when I walked across the stage I'd make sure everyone noticed my hand-knitted socks.

Yeah, I was thinking it might be fun to pull a Yarn Harlot thing where she gets a picture with a sock OTN whereever she is. But, whoever is handing me my diploma might not appreciate that. Or else they might think they're about to be attacked with knitting needles. Sure would hate to get arrested on my big day. Or could you see me dropping the sock and it start unraveling?

:rofl:

kaidyddd
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
At my son's college graduation (a small college in Iowa), professional photographers took about 5 pictures/graduate. Before and after crossing the stage and a few on stage shaking hands, receiving diploma. Might have been hard to whip out something on stage, but certainly before would have worked out well. Would have been fun too. I noticed that the photographers were about 3 students ahead of the one actually walking across the stage, so I don't think that it would have slowed down the ceremony at all.

Spikey
06-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I think your plan to bring something small, that will fit in your purse, is a good one. Do you have yarn that will blend in with your gown? Might make it less obvious, but I say go for it.

I KIP all over the place, conferences, meetings, etc. Finished my part on 5 oddball blankets at a conference last week. As long as you can still pay attention, and use quiet needles, you shouldn't have a problem.

As McKnitty said, everyone else will be talking/texting/playing games anyway. You'll probably be the only one actually paying attention. :teehee:

And...congratulations!!!! :woohoo:

kellybigeyes
06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't see why not!!! Take something and see if you have the opportunity to knit some... if you do, bring it out and knit!! I would!! Congrats by the way on graduating!!

gotta knit
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Congrats on the graduation!

I'd bring something in case there's waiting to line up, etc. out of view, but wouldn't personally knit while sitting on or near the stage during the actual ceremony (even if others were texting, etc.).
Will you even have your purse with you at that point?

jess_hawk
06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
I would probably not knit during the actual ceremony, as boring as it is (I've sat through 4 graduations from my college, as a member of the band, and played an ungodly number of refrains of Pomp and Circumstance, which I plan to hijack a copy of so that I can burn it after my own graduation). However, I will note that most of our grads are around for at least an hour before the actual ceremony, getting ready and lined up, and they leave purses, coats, and so on in a room "backstage," so I would at least bring knitting for that part. If I had something extremely small and inconspicuous I might take it and knit while everyone was filing in.
Convince them to switch Pomp and Circumstance for the Imperial Death March - you'll please the band, make the audience sit up and pay attention, and nobody will notice that you're knitting, even if you're using lightsabers as needles.

Jeremy
06-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Absolutely. Its your day, why not. I'd go with a toe up sock on magic loop or something like that so you can just throw it in a bag or hand it to a friend without much trouble. Congratulations on a job well done. I know it could not have been easy but with great effort comes great reward.:hug:

Karina
06-11-2008, 07:04 AM
I think you should bring some knitting and see how it goes. Do you have one of Silvers little knitting bags you could have hanging on your wrist or under your gown. then you would have somewhere to put your knitting even if your bag is stored somewhere else.

congratulations on graduating

auburnchick
06-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh I know! I thought of Silver's bag immediately. Wish I had one!

Oh Silver...where are you??? :wink: