PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on offering online knitting classes???

Ivy19
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Years ago, I took some college courses from an offsite location. The class was taught on campus via the television and all the students, both on campus and at the offsite location, had microphones so that we could all interact. These days, with the advent of such services as "go to my PC", it's possible to have online meetings so that participants all over the world are able to "see" the room in which the meeting is taking place from their computers. And since most computers have microphones, most of them can interact as if they're there. Or at least can type questions in real time.

It's just a thought and seems a natural adjunct to the knitting videos. I would be willing to pay a nominal fee to participate and it would be almost as good as attending a knitting group or class outside my home. I have commitments that keep me pretty much tied here most of the time but really want to improve my knitting (and learn to make SOCKS!). Does anyone else think this would work??

KnittinMitchie
06-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I think this is a great idea. And I know of 3 different ways to knit socks. I am now curious and will research this out and see what sort of places are avalible.

So far here is the list of project ideas:
-Learn to knit socks <-- This will be the first project. You will need 200 yards of worsted weight yarn and size US 8 / 5mm 32 inch Circular Needles. A set of 29 inch can be used if you can't find 32 inch needles. I have the pattern and can email it out to everyone. The patten will be in PDF format.

-Different ways to knit the heel on a sock
-Finishing Techniques
-Color work (mosaic, Intrasia, Fair Isle)
-Cables
-Scarves/Wraps
-Crochet basics

susi
06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
i think thats a great idea.

i'd love to have a go as well so if you find anything would you mind letting me know also.

susi

KnittinMitchie
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
okay after talking to some of my computer smart friends they recomended doing it through yahoo. yahoo you can see web cams and do voice chat. I have no problems hosting this ONCE a week and doing lessons weekly.

catcook
06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I would like to do that also. Would a person have to have a really fast computer, I have DSL but don't know if it would work. The closest place to have lessons around here is 60 miles, not really an option for me so this sounds like a really great idea!!>^,,^<

jheatherley
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a wonderful idea -- except for the yahoo part. Every time I've ever tried to do anything with yahoo, I've failed. Hope there is some other way to do this.

Ivy19
06-09-2008, 07:32 PM
I've checked out the "go to meetings" concepts. I don't know anything about the Yahoo way. But there is a co. called eBlvd that offers unlimited meetings with an unlimited number of participants for a flat rate of $30 per month. I can actually afford that so if we get enough people interested, I'm willing to take on the expense. I'm not a techie though, so would appreciate someone more e-experienced to check out the site to make sure it works. The way I THINK it works is that we all, at a predetermined time, log onto eBlvd and get into our meeting. Whomever is the host (Christine?), I think, initially logs in and then all of the participants join.

They offer teleconferencing where we could all dial a toll-free number, or, better, they also offer VoIP, which uses a connected microphone and speakers to broadcast the audio portion of meetings over the web instead of using a telephone.

You can also instant message.

Ideas/thoughts??? I'm getting excited!

KnittinMitchie
06-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Okay DSL is fast enough to run things.I hve DSL too. Its your computer that my have issues not your internet connection. As for the eBlvd thing I will check it out and SUGGEST that everyone chip in to cover the monthly costs. This will of course be divided up by the people who sign up for each meeting. I think we can all do $2-$3 to help cover the costs. as for Hosting I'm will do this :)

KnittinMitchie
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Okay here is the Pricing link (https://www.eblvd.com/ompricing.aspx) to eBlvd. They charge based on the number of people who participate.

boo1
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I have the same problem as another poster did. I just have trouble with it.

:)

KnittinMitchie
06-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I feel like I high jacked this thread. SO sorry if I have.

Anyway, I sent Sheldon, the webmaster here at Knitting Help, a message to see what he could do for us and what he thought. This a wonderful idea. On Crochetville they do crochet classes but its done through the forum and you have to pay for your class and i think the patterns.

When I pick out patterns I am going to use free ones that can be found in the internet. Also besides Socks what else do you want to do a class on?

Ivy19
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
GREAT idea! After you checked out eBlvd (I missed the price increase with # of participants) I was going to ask if anyone knew Sheldon. I think it would be a wonderful service for KHers and, as I said before, worth paying some sort of fee (like you would do if you took a class at a LYS or college, etc).

I would also love to see a class on cables, because they scare me:rofl: ! Maybe as the weather changes, you could do scarves/wraps etc. Working with color is also a good idea, I think.

And no, you didn't take over the thread - it's called collaboration!:wink:

msmelody
06-10-2008, 06:28 AM
I would love a class on finishing techniques. Putting sweaters and such together. I know how to knit socks, but would love to join in to see other ways to do heels. I have read directions for Sherman and others, but they make no sense to me.

Will it be possible to log in after the class is done to see what went on? I live in England, and I am at best 5 hours ahead of the east coast.

mathwizard
06-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Have you thought about skype? It is FREE and people who have built in video like Macintosh pc can see each other. Those who don't and have audio will be able to hear each other. I chat with friends in England and we have a great time. My long distance phone bills are gone. Three of us have audio conferences all the time as they can't video with me except on a one on one basis. I think classes are a great idea. I would be willing to help teach crochet and what knitting skills I have.

KnittinMitchie
06-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I would love a class on finishing techniques. Putting sweaters and such together. I know how to knit socks, but would love to join in to see other ways to do heels. I have read directions for Sherman and others, but they make no sense to me.

Will it be possible to log in after the class is done to see what went on? I live in England, and I am at best 5 hours ahead of the east coast.

Once we get things ironed out and things get going I was going to offer a day time class since I know there are people in England/Europe that would like to take the class.

Also I need to play with my video camera. I had a friend give me a link on how to turn my video camera into a web cam. NOW if I could get the video saved that would ROCK.

Have you thought about skype? It is FREE and people who have built in video like Macintosh pc can see each other. Those who don't and have audio will be able to hear each other. I chat with friends in England and we have a great time. My long distance phone bills are gone. Three of us have audio conferences all the time as they can't video with me except on a one on one basis. I think classes are a great idea. I would be willing to help teach crochet and what knitting skills I have.

Skype looks to be a good solutions. The only thing is we are limited to 9 people. So the instructor and 8 students. I feel this is fine and any thing more than 6-8 students at once time may get over whelming trying to keep up and answer questions.

I will need to check into skype further and possibly do a demo class to see if it is going to work for everyone.

Also how do you want to do the classes. Do you want to to one topic a month or have several topic each month.

susi
06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
wow this sounds such a great idea.

must admit yahoo isnt my fav thing either, but i would have a go to do this.

skype sounds a brilliant idea though. and even if you dont have it set up (the microphone etc) its cheap to do.

count me in for sure, but i agree ppl should contribute ti this.

susi

Ivy19
06-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, for sure I'm in:) Christine, if you're going to be the instructor, I think it's really up to you to decide how many topics you'd be willing to teach each month. Do we want to start a project, ie, a sock, and complete it before moving on to the next subject (which may be a problem if some are unable to complete the project as quickly as others), or do you want to do a topic a week or every other week? It's a burden for you . . . maybe if you burn out you can get some help from some of the experienced knitters here at KH???

I'm not familiar with Skype but sounds perfect. Let me know what I can do since I started this ball rolling. Don't want to load you down with too much.

KnittinMitchie
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I would rather concentrate on one topic/project per month and do a weekly meeting. I know some people are busy and we all dont knit at the same speed. As for skype I'm game for using it.

MathWizard are you willing to help anyone out that may have issues getting skype up and going on their computer? I'm not best with computers.

For those of us that want to do this i need NO MORE than 8 people right now to volunteer for a meeting. We would just chat. you dont need to "bring" your knitting unless you dont want to :)

NOW we need to decide on a time. I live in the Central time zone and 8 pm is a good time, (9pm for the east coast, 7pm for the folks in the rookie mt time zone, and 6 pm for the cali/west coast people), and Tuesday evenings are the best day for me since hubby is gone to a meeting and my kiddo goes to bed at 8pm.

If it Tuesdays at 9 ES/8CST/7/MST/6WST works then we can do a trial run next Tuesday June 17th.

Ivy19
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm in if someone can run down the info on Skype and tell us what to do.

The pst works for me.

Ivy19
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
ok - I went to Skype and downloaded the program. Did a test call to my cell and, viola, it worked! It was really easy and since my macbook already has video, I'm good to go. Now, if someone would just tell us what number to call, how to conference everybody in, etc. I'll see what the skype site says.

KnittinMitchie
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Cool Ivy. I know MathWizard uses skype all the time. Maybe he can help out. Also Ivy what is your skype name. I'm knittinmitche

Ivy19
06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Ivyknits:thumbsup:

Ivy19
06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
It looks like it's pretty easy to make a conference call; if everyone has skype it's free. Unfortunately, they do not offer video conferencing right now - which is a real bummer because we'd like to see what Christine is doing. Suggestions?

KnittinMitchie
06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Okay we can do a video chat I do know that. So you would have to type every thing. Ivy I asked hubby to help me figure skype out and we'll be hooking his web cam up to my computer so we'll see if that works....for now

Also here (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1116828&postcount=2) is the link to the 2nd post. It has the project idea list and what you will need for each project. So far I've only got one done. We will be starting with socks.

labeelady
06-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I won't be available on June 17 as I have a dinner appointment.

But please let me know how it turned out! My Skype handle is also Labeelady.

Ivy19
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
ok - obviously I was tired when I was searching how to make a video conferencing call - below is the REAL answer from Skype:doh:

How do I start a video call?

You can start a video call by clicking on the video button of the contact in your contact list or by choosing "Start video" during a call. You can switch video on and off during the call, by clicking the option on the call tab. Ensure you have enabled Video in Tools > Options > Video Settings > Enable

Shows that I shouldn't try to take on any "serious" task after 9 p.m.!

KnittinMitchie
06-12-2008, 03:35 PM
thanks Ivy :)

Labee I added you to my skype list

mathwizard
06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
If you need help then I can assist. By the way I am a girl. You can get me on skype as mathwizard1950. I use skype instead of long distance now and video picture is great.

mathwizard
06-12-2008, 05:48 PM
In order to have a conference call you have to have everyone added to your list. I would like to be in on the call and will add you to my list. Tuesday is fine!

catcook
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
ok I am just downloading skype. I hope I can keep up with all of you. I'm a little worried about that as I am not computer savvy. hmm just set it up but when testing kept getting cut off. I may have to have my son come and help me set this up. My name is catcook3

KnittinMitchie
06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I started a thread JUST for the classes. They are a GO. here is the link (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1117892#post1117892)to the thread

catcook
06-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Cant find you knittinmitchie. Am I spelling you wrong? I added others. Tues is great for me now just to remember, I had better make a big post it. I read the list of stuff, I may not be able to get the cable needles I know wal mart doesn't carry them. Is there a place on the internet I could get some and what do you reccomend? Yes I live in the boonies! Closest yarn store is 60 miles one way! :(

KnittinMitchie
06-12-2008, 07:01 PM
do you have a hobby lobby or anything like that? If not try http://www.supercrafty.com/ (http://www.supercrafty.com/)
http://www.patternworks.com/