PDA

View Full Version : Fast shawl

koolbreeze
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
hey. i'm thinking of taking the pluge and knit a shawl for my grandmother. her birthday is July 9th but her party isn't till the 12. she will be 82 and she has brought it up to me on numerous occasions how she wants me to knit her a shawl. i hate knitting long. but i want to do this for her. SO does anybody know of a quick knit shawl pattern?/ thanks ya'll... i know i haven't been around for a minute. i haven't been doing much knitting.

jheatherley
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
The feather & fan stitch makes a lovely shawl. Done on big needles, it wouldn't take long. The pattern I use (Barbara Walker's) is done on multiples of 18. So if you cast on, say, 80 stitches, that would give you 4 repeats with a garter stitch border of 4 on each side. Cast on and go til it looks long enough.

Just a thought.

vaknitter
06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with the PP - I make all my prayer shawls in the feather and fan pattern. You can always check the prayer shawl ministry webpage as they offer a lot simple, yet lovely patterns.

koolbreeze
06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
thank you!!! i will do that!

becjo
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah - the bigger the needles, the faster it will go for you & those make some lovely shawls! And I'm sure she'll love anything you make for her!

italianchildhood
06-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't have a specific pattern recommendation, but I would agree to use big needles and a light yarn, you don't want it to turn out real heavy I don't think.

And yes, I would think she would absolutely love it!

Howdovely
06-11-2008, 02:51 PM
The feather & fan stitch makes a lovely shawl. Done on big needles, it wouldn't take long. The pattern I use (Barbara Walker's) is done on multiples of 18. So if you cast on, say, 80 stitches, that would give you 4 repeats with a garter stitch border of 4 on each side. Cast on and go til it looks long enough.

Just a thought.

What does this one look like?

threesmom
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Here's (http://www.knitpicks.com/Lace+1+2+3+Andean+Treasure+Shawl+Pattern_PD5047822 1.html) a rectangular one - with pattern - on the KP site. I made a triangular one with this (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/shawls-shrugs/feather-and-fan-comfort-shawl.htm) pattern in a cotton silk blend that I was happy with too, but then you need to mess with paying attention to increases - not a big deal, but not as quick and easy as the rectangle.

There's always a simple eyelet lace pattern too, on bigger needles that would be pretty and lacey too.

Good luck!

SBG
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm making my grandmother a prayer shawl with super bulky yarn for her b'day. knit 3, purl 3 ribbing, til it's as wide and long as you want. Easy and quick, esp if you use thick yarn.

Howdovely
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm making my grandmother a prayer shawl with super bulky yarn for her b'day. knit 3, purl 3 ribbing, til it's as wide and long as you want. Easy and quick, esp if you use thick yarn.

I made a triangle shawl a few years ago and it used 3 skeins of Lion Brand Woolspun. I think that's what it was. Maybe it was homespun. Either way, it was bulky yarn. That happened to be the ONLY thing I made that I actually kept track of how long it took me to make. Over the course of a week, I had about 10 hours into it. I just cast on 3, and did a K1, YO, K to end on every row. 3 skeins made a good size for me, but you could do 4 if you wanted bigger.

Let us know what you wind up making!

fireflyknitter
06-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm making this one (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60301.html) for my mother in law... I think if you were smarter than me and used the right size yarn and needles it would be pretty fast. The pattern is very simple!