PDA

View Full Version : I'm so excited!

BobbiKnits
06-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I just started knitting in January, and I get my very first set of circular needles in the mail today today, which also means I get to start my THIRD attempt at a hat for my boyfriend...He has such a big fat head, and it seems like no matter how much I measure and check my gauge, it never fits...:???: Oh well, third time is the charm, right?

jheatherley
06-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe it would work if you stick with ribbing, which is very forgiving in sizing. Here's a simple one. http://media.wendyknits.net/knit/transitions.htm
It's shown on a woman, of course, but (maybe depending on color) it looks unisex to me.

blueygh2
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Ribbing definitively is very stretchable...

Wow, the first pair of circs... must be magic

Good luck

BobbiKnits
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
The last one I made was ribbed. It's pretty stretchy, just not quite big enough. I'm going to try it on bigger needles and with more a few more stitches, so hopefully that will help.

Cynamar
06-12-2008, 08:39 AM
I was going to suggest ribbing, too! It helps a lot.

HollyP
06-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Good luck with the hat and your new needles!
I am from a family of big headed people with super thick curly hair. Ribbing is the only way to go! I knit a hat for my bro for Christmas and when he opened it he looked at me and said there is no way this will fit. I told him it fit my head w/ my hair down so it should fit him and it did. I just used a basic ribbed hat pattern and chunky yarn.

heatherg23
06-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm in the same boat, I have dimensions for baby hats and I have to try to translate that into adult sizes. I am in the middle of my first hat for an adult...me. I hope it comes out right and your's as well.

Heather