PDA

View Full Version : WooLee Winder

callmesusan
06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
am i understanding this correctly? it costs $185 and the extra bobbins i just bought won't work with it?

mullerslanefarm
06-10-2008, 09:07 AM
You need to buy the WW bobbins to run with the WW. The WW bobbins have a gear on the end to engage the WW.

Lousli
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
It has a different flyer, with a gear on it, and then different bobbins, which, as mullerslanefarm says, engage with the flyer. It comes with one bobbin to start with. I bought one for my Rose, with 2 more bobbins, but I still have my original flyers and bobbins. I still use them too, since it is quite easy to switch back and forth between the ww and the regular flyer. I will sometimes spin with the regular bobbins and ply with the ww, or vice versa.

If you're considering buying one, you might want to see if you know anyone that has one and will let you try it out.

callmesusan
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I thought it might be a $60 item and was going to go ahead and get it in the mail to myself. With this new information ($185 and bobbins, too) I think I will wait for a gifting occasion.

I am the only person I know who spins, but maybe if I go to a fiber fest someday, I will get to try one out.

mullerslanefarm
06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
I never got one for my Traveller, my jumbo flyer and extra bobbins worked just fine for me.

When I got my unexpected notice a few days after I found the Sonata for a good price, I went ahead and purchased the WW & extra bobbins.

I figured if I didn't like it, I could always resell it.

I've worked out the operator error kinks and love the way the yarn goes on the bobbin more consistantly, allowing it to hold more. I get more yarn per spinning time since I'm not stopping to change hooks.

If I hadn't gotten that bonus, I would have never purchased a WW for myself and would have been happy. But now that I have a WW, I won't be giving it up.

callmesusan
06-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I decided that life is short, so I bought my self the WW as a gift!
:woohoo:

mullerslanefarm
06-12-2008, 08:26 AM
The thing that caused me the most problem was when I stopped spinning and then continued, the yarn would flip up and over the the eye, causing the yarn not to go on to the bobbin.

If you're yarn isn't winding on, that's the first place to look. Nathan warns about this in the material he sends with the WW.

Have fun with it Susan!

callmesusan
06-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes for me.