PDA

View Full Version : tired of trying to figure this out. please help

gilmour5
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Hello Everyone.

I bought the alligator scarf pattern and was doing really well. Until I got to the first row of binding off while still in pattern. I started with 59 stitches and are suppose to end up with 19 which is not happening it always ends being less then the 19.

the row says exactly knit 3 bind off eight tightly. then knit three which includes the stich from the last bind off. I have tried knitting the first three then binding off 8 then knitting three. Then I tried knitting three binding off eight then knitting 2. That still didn't work. I hope someone can help me I have ripped apart this row several times. This is a gift for my sisters baby who is decortating the room in alligators. please help me.

Kathy

gotta knit
06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Logically,
K3 + bind off 8 = 11sts, which you will repeat 5 times (meaning 55 sts and 4 sts to end of row=59sts you start with).

The pattern repeated 5 times means you should end up with 19sts on the needles, with 40 bound off.
(K3x5repeats=15sts + 4sts at end of row=19sts left)
(bind off 8x5repeats=40sts gone.)

When you bind off, your 3rd stitch disappears and the 8th bind off leaves 1st, so you still have only 3 sts with each repeat. Don't count the 3rd st as part of your bind off, you need to K1 to start your bind offs. So K the 4th st then pass the 3rd st over it as the 1st bind off.
When you do the first *K3, bind off 8*, the first 2sts and the 12th st will be the 3 sts on your needle. With your next repeat of *K3, bind off 8*, you'll K the 13th, 14th, 15thsts, then K the 16th st (to start your next 8 bind offs)and pass the 15th st over the 16th........

Hope that makes sense!
Mary

gotta knit
06-10-2008, 09:51 PM
This just got answered a bit differently on another forum. I think Art Lady's suggestion on the How to Questions forum might balance the # of sts on each end better.

gilmour5
06-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I wanted to say thank you both of you. Your posts helped me out alot and i think i figured out the problem. I tried it last night and got the correct amount of stitches. I hope it works as well when I get to the bind off ten part. thanks again

Kathy