PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun: What do you do while knitting?

kateycp2k
06-11-2008, 12:57 AM
A little "just for fun" question: What do you do while knitting? Is there a favorite tv show or movie you watch? I know some people can knit and read - are you reading a good book while knitting?

While I will watch anything on my Tivo, my knitting time is spent in the company of Grace Brothers Department Store, Miss Brahms, Mrs. Slocombe, and Mr. Humphries - yes, I am a fan of Are You Being Served? and proud of it! :-D Our local PBS station airs eps on Tuesday nights and I have rediscovered my love of the program (old boyfriend introduced me to it a few years ago).

I have also been watching CNBC and other cable business channels while knitting. Rather than lament the slow economy we have here in the US, I am using these stringent and tough times as a form of education in economic fundamentals, investing, and commodities. It helps me cut through the hype one sees in mainstream media. Thus far, Jim Cramer is my favorite, though sometimes he drives me nuts and I want to haul my Susan Bates size 8 needles at the tv. (Man needs to cut down on caffeine NOW. If you watch you know what I speak of here.)

What accompanies your knitting?

Jeremy
06-11-2008, 01:20 AM
It depends what I'm knitting. If its a sock, I watch the ball game, wait for a plane, you name it. If its lace, absolutely nothing else. I've tempted fate more often than I should have on that score.

Azlynn
06-11-2008, 02:31 AM
I watch pretty much anything while knitting, but I HAVE to have the TV on for some reason while knitting. If I'm knitting something more intense, I watch something boring that I don't pay much attention to, but if I'm knitting something monotonous, then I watch something good on TV. My favorite is reality shows - ANY reality show. :)

rachejm
06-11-2008, 05:42 AM
I generally just stick the tv on and find something that won't interfere with my concentration too much, e.g. Springwatch or the news. I can't knit when House or Desperate Housewives is on. If there is nothing on tv I stick on a DVD, usually the BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. I know it so well that I can recite bits of it word for word. I never get tired of watching it if the project is easy but if I'm having to concentrate a bit more I can do something complicated and when I look back at the tv I know exactly where I am and what has happened on the DVD. I have been known to knit in front of Harry Potter DVDs but generally only Hogwarts scarves.

Firey Vixxen
06-11-2008, 06:47 AM
I Need noise when I knit, whether it's watching TV or listening to music. Avril Lavinge has a particully good beat to knit to.
FV

Jen17
06-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I like to talk to my daughter who is stationed in Japan, Okinowa, on the phone while I knit. It has to be a mindless part of the knitting project though, I can not count when talking!
I like doing that because, 1) she is usually talking to me and my 3 grandchildren at the same time or running after one of them! So I don't mind at all when she goes away from the phone, I just keep on knitting! 2) Doing that makes me feel like she's in the same room and we are knitting together again! They have 2 more YEARS over there! Boo Hoo!:waah: , But at least my son in law supposedly will not have to go to Iraq for a 4rh time!:ick:

Which reminds me..she was suppose to call this morning:happydance: :heart:

Jen:knitting:

SBG
06-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Right now I'm going back through Lost from season one, looking for things I missed the first time around. I like to have the TV on in the background (or watch on my computer), or I listen to audiobooks on the ipod. If it's something I really need to focus on, I have the TV on, because if I'm listening to a book I'll either miss something important, or pay too much attention and mess up the knitting.

Jen17
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
That's a great idea.!! I love Lost and I KNOW I've missed stuff by knitting!

auburnchick
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
I watch TV. That's what I look forward to every evening. A lot of History Channel stuff when I don't like what's on regular TV.

I also take my knitting to a ton of soccer games. My daughter plays competitively, so there's tons of time there, although I try not to knit during the games themselves...usually before and during halftime and water breaks.

Mulderknitter
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I also watch tv while knitting. cant' seem to do much else. I actually really look forward to my tv/knitting time. I have a brand new flat lcd and dvd player in my knitting room, I recently re-did the whole room, so it's such a pleasure to sit up there by myself and knit. I am currently watching Ghost whisperer season 1 on dvd. gotta love netflix!

knitgal
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Usually I watch tv- anything that's on but my favourites are real estate shows, especially British ones. I have also been listening to Northanger Abbey on Librivox while knitting because for some reason Jane Austen and knitting go really well together! I wish I could read and knit at the same time, but it's not a skill I've picked up yet!

fireflyknitter
06-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Lost on DVD is one of my favorite things to knit to, but my all time fave is...

Law and Order. Any Law and Order, doesn't matter which one. L&O has some kind of magical power over my knitting. :rofl:

sakura-panda
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
A lot of my knitting is done in the car while we're running an errand and the kids are sleeping -- I sit in the car with the kid(s) while DH runs into the store to do whatever. I do this less now that my youngest is 19 months old -- more often when she was taking three naps every day!

Now I'm more likely to knit while she's playing in the bathtub! :)

I also like to knit in the evenings while my hair is drying from my shower. I have a bunch of recordings on my tivo for this and lately I have been watching NCIS or Bleach (anime). One episode of each is an hour (when I FF through commercials). If I"m having trouble with my work, I can just pause the TV until I figure it out. I don't feel like I have to be focused 100% on the show since I can go back and rewatch if I think I missed something. :)

Crycket
06-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I knit at work, so I help customers inbetween stitches. But when I am at home, I am watching TV....

NCIS, Frasier, Grace Under Fire, Simpsons, Two and a Half Men, Family Guy...etc...

And the occasional movie.

Jan in CA
06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
If it's something easy I watch TV, if I need to concentrate for a bit I want it quiet.

becjo
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm a TV watcher myself - but that's for the mindless sort of knitting. When it comes to a pattern, I have to have on a TV show that I dont really care to miss most of it.
And I do alot of my knitting at work, in between completed jobs, I'll do a few rows & then at lunch time, I get my groove on!

HollyP
06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
How do you people knit during Lost??? Every time I've tried I've either messed up big time on my knitting:frog: or missed something on the show. I have made a rule for myself no knitting during Lost!

I mostly knit while waiting at Dr appts etc, car trips, as a study break, or in front of non-Lost tv. I keep meaning to try listening to audio books with my knitting just haven't picked one up yet.

Viridian
06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I watch pretty much anything while knitting, but I HAVE to have the TV on for some reason while knitting. If I'm knitting something more intense, I watch something boring that I don't pay much attention to, but if I'm knitting something monotonous, then I watch something good on TV. My favorite is reality shows - ANY reality show. :)

This is me. I HAVE to have some sort of background noise while I'm knitting, especially if I'm doing something a little mundane (like right now, I'm knitting stockinette for a billion rows on my socks, so I need something). If I'm doing something mundane that I don't have to pay attention to, I'll watch a show that I really love, like Lost, Stargate: Atlantis, Dexter, Heroes... the list goes on and on.

If it's something that needs my concentration, I'll watch something that can serve as background noise like Will and Grace or a movie I've already seen.

feministmama
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I knit anywhere anytime! But I do love to watch movies/TV shows when I knit. I NEED to knit at school if I am listening to a boring lecture or dull meeting. I need to have both sides of my brain occupied or I fall asleep. I also like to listen to podcasts or books on tape.

McKnitty
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
It depends what I'm knitting. If its a sock, I watch the ball game, wait for a plane, you name it. If its lace, absolutely nothing else. I've tempted fate more often than I should have on that score.

Oh yes, I have learned my lesson with lace. I cannot do anything else when knitting lace! I have also learned that a lifeline can be your best friend.

For other things, I usually knit in the living room with the TV on, except for Lost and Gray's Anatomy, which get my full attention. My husband benefits when I'm knitting a project because he can watch a movie or some game that I'm not interested in. I'm content to knit while he watches whatever he wants. He totally supports my knitting! :teehee:

I also knit in between household chores - put in a load of laundry then knit until it is done, put cookies in the oven and knit until the timer goes off, etc.

KnittinMitchie
06-11-2008, 01:04 PM
It all depends on my mood. I may watch or a movie. If its a movie that can vary with mood too. If I'm spinning I like to listen to hte radio or Books On CD. I cant read and spin or knit at the same time it jsut doesnt work too well.

scout52
06-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I also watch tv while knitting. cant' seem to do much else. I actually really look forward to my tv/knitting time.!

exactly how I feel. I feel robbed when I work really late and i can't get my tv/knitting time.

kateycp2k
06-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Lost on DVD is one of my favorite things to knit to, but my all time fave is...

Law and Order. Any Law and Order, doesn't matter which one. L&O has some kind of magical power over my knitting. :rofl:
Ahh, Law and Order. I am convinced that at any moment during the day, someone, somewhere is watching L&O. :)

scout52
06-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Ahh, Law and Order. I am convinced that at any moment during the day, someone, somewhere is watching L&O. :)

Oh you are right about that!! I got my fix on Law and Order visiting my dad in Dubai. I got to watch all three!!!

lelvsdgs
06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I watch TV and I knit on the bus on my way to work. It kills the time and keeps the weirdos from talking to me, well sometimes. Although sometimes the weirdos are pretty interesting to talk to. :roflhard:

cftwo
06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll often listen to the radio - some of NPR's programs are great for that.

fireflyknitter
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
How do you people knit during Lost??? Every time I've tried I've either messed up big time on my knitting:frog: or missed something on the show. I have made a rule for myself no knitting during Lost!

I can't knit while a new one is on, but we have seasons 1-3 on DVD and I've seen them so much that I know I'm not missing anything! :)

Plantgoddess+
06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I read the posts here on KH and am catching up on the archives at Yarn Harlot's blog. I also read news on Yahoo while knitting. I generally have the radio on and listen to talk radio as well. My favorite is Thom Hartmann and Stephanie Miller.

Cirrus
06-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I usually watch TV while knitting. Sometimes I even knit in silence, especially if I'm worried or something is bothering me. It gives me time to think. It's very meditative too.

ABOUT LOST.....
May I ask an off-thread question? Are y'all watching Lost which you previously taped, or are you watching Lost from Netflix? I wanted to get Netflix-Lost, but I wasn't sure how much was on each DVD.

SBG
06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
All the episodes of Lost all the way back are available on the ABC website, so I watch on my laptop with my headphones, since everyone is asleep except me. Then I can hear without risking waking everybody up. I think Netflix is about 6 disks per season, but don't hold me to that.

KnitsAway
06-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Lots of TV watchers.

Today my hubby was setting up my computer desk right... hiding cords and what not and I sat in the popasan and knitted and chatted with him. That sure was nice.

I can knit in silence and rather enjoy it. Just me and my thoughts.

I do watch tv sometimes just for the noise I suppose. I can listen and not watch.

joannabanana
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, as long as I don't have to pay particular attention to anything, I'll knit any where, doing almost anything. I went to a wedding reception last Friday and knitted for 4 hours while I had a great time talking to friends. They were amazed that I could carry on a conversation and knit at the same time. However, this was knitting in the round, so I didn't actually have to watch my needles or turn the work, so paying attention to them wasn't hard - and I got LOTS done!

desidiva
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I love to sit on my couch, listen to music and knit. It's so relaxing. If I can't sleep b/c I'm anxious about something, I'll knit a few rows to calm myself down. I've heard of people who pray the Rosary while knitting. I'm not Catholic so I don't know the rosary, but sometimes I'll just think of things that I'm thankful for and I'll say them out loud (when I'm alone). Sometimes I watch tv and knit, but it has to be something like the news so I can tune in and out.
I keep a small project in my purse so I can knit while I'm waiting for a doctors appointment. Or if I'm a little early for an appointment, I just find a Starbucks, get a coffee and knit a few rows. I tried knitting on the train once, but it didn't really turn out too well. I know a woman who can stand on the train and knit. She is my hero.

kateycp2k
06-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I'll often listen to the radio - some of NPR's programs are great for that.
Cheers to NPR! I listen to many podcasts from member stations and network shows. Any favorites?

ArtLady1981
06-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I "watch" (!) CNN news, MSNBC news, local news, and the "Judges" programs.

I can't knit when "So You Think You Can Dance" is on...or Kitchen Nightmares on BBC...or The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic station. Those favs of mine just have to have my full attention! :eyebrow: (100% of the impact is in the watching, seeing and learning!)

WynnieG
06-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm another one of those who really shouldn't knit in front of the TV, because I get distracted. I tried with M*A*S*H, as I have watched that show off and on since I was a kid; wasn't too bad until a really good gag happened to draw my eyes from my work. I really like watching Deadliest Catch, but can't knit to that one (though I can manage a crochet hook).

What I managed to find though, through a friend: BBC radio online! Living in the States, this is a treat for me. I've knit through two whole mystery series of Baldi, a couple of Thomas Hardy books, history programmes, and some pretty fun comedy shows. One of my favorites was during a tribute week to Terry Pratchett.

I like that I can download stuff to listen to later, and if I miss a day, if I catch it within the week, I'm good; they hold on to them in a Listen Again (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/thursday/) section. Give it a whirl, you might find something you like?

threesmom
06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
I think my favorite time to knit is in the car - with someone else driving of course. It keeps me from watching the road too much, which is a good thing, and I get so much more done because I'm not distracted by kids, laundry, dishes, vacuuming ... I'll knit in front of the tv too, no matter what is on - knitting and relaxing is the priority, not whatever is on the tube.

dustinac
06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I watch tv...esp if there is a movie on TCM playing that I can curl up with and my knitting. I also like to just sit outside while the kids play, I'm swinging and knitting...sometimes have my Mp3 player on and in one ear...I knit in the car if we are going somewhere...and during WVU football season I'm knitting

If it's lace I need a quiet place...I usually still have music on though so it's not too quiet :thumbsup:

MAmaDawn
06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I take my knitting with me everywhere so lots of different things. but my favorite is NOTHING. I love to sit and knit in quiet (with 3 kids that a BIG deal).

threesmom
06-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I take my knitting with me everywhere so lots of different things. but my favorite is NOTHING. I love to sit and knit in quiet (with 3 kids that a BIG deal).

Yes, it IS!:teehee: HUGE deal, I'd say!