PDA

View Full Version : I Found a New Yarn Store Today!

auburnchick
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
So, today I went to one of my company's branch offices. It's about an hour from my house...not a trip I really enjoy each week. I fought with a computer at work, and the computer won. What a bummer. Until a gal at work told me about a yarn shop she had spied the other day.

Let me tell you...there are no yarn stores in this place. I usually have to drive another 30 minutes from that office to get to a good yarn store. So, this one is new. I called to verify that they had "real" yarn, which they did. So I went after work. Thank goodness I only work part-time. I didn't have to wait long.

I only bought three skeins of yarn, but I'm proud of them.

I'll use this for socks. It's really quite lovely...beach colors, which is perfect since I live about 15 minutes from the beach.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/2570877789_039dc35cf2.jpg

And this...my first Sockotta yarn. I've seen several patterns that would look good with the green yarn...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2570877807_dc8294ee64.jpg

Such a nice treat after a bad afternoon and evening (yesterday...parenting stuff) and difficult day at work today.

I think my weekly visits to this branch office are going to be much anticipated! :rofl:

Thought I would share!

mks22300
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Great colors! Can't wait to see the socks you knit with them!

Miss Moosey
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Isn't it nice to reward yourself after a tough day?

I love that sock yarn; it is the most refreshing shade of green!

Rebecca

sue in canada
06-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Very pretty colour yarns. I also love Sockotta.

suzeeq
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Pretty, but I have to ask..... You wear socks to the beach?!

auburnchick
06-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Pretty, but I have to ask..... You wear socks to the beach?!

:roflhard:

Hmmm...did I make it sound that way? :teehee:

The yarn is just kind of beachy---colors, I mean. Very South FL-ish...

Cynamar
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Oooooh! Love that green Sockotta!

Jaxhil
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
ooh, ooh, OOOOH, I LOOOVE that fiesta yarn-gorgeous! the Sockotta looks pretty too, but I really love the first one :heart:

mathwizard
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I haven't tried sockotta yarn yet but the color is great. I have a pair of socks on the needles right now.

auburnchick
06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
ooh, ooh, OOOOH, I LOOOVE that fiesta yarn-gorgeous! the Sockotta looks pretty too, but I really love the first one :heart:

Yes, the Fiesta is simply heavenly! The colors are just fabulous, and the feel...sooooo soft!

Too bad we don't have touch-o-vision. :teehee:

Knit4Fun
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I got a skein of Sockotta for my birthday (from the amazing mrsbzb on KH) - I am still using the 'cheap' yarn for socks until I'm more comfortable making them but I'm looking forward to using mine too! :cheering:

I'm trying out making two socks at once on circular needles...so far it is clear HOW to do it, but actually doing it and not getting the yarn tangled is kind of frustrating...I may be reverting back to Magic Loop soon...

auburnchick
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm trying out making two socks at once on circular needles...so far it is clear HOW to do it, but actually doing it and not getting the yarn tangled is kind of frustrating...I may be reverting back to Magic Loop soon...

I think this will be my next "learning" experience. I know how to make socks using two circs, which I love. But I'd love to learn how to do 2 on 2 circs.

I'll probably use this yarn doing one at a time on two circs...just so I don't mess up the yarn and the pattern. But after that...look out!

Knit4Fun
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I think this will be my next "learning" experience. I know how to make socks using two circs, which I love. But I'd love to learn how to do 2 on 2 circs.

I'll probably use this yarn doing one at a time on two circs...just so I don't mess up the yarn and the pattern. But after that...look out!

It's not hard at all to do - you just need two different sets of circulars of the same size but different length (one book suggests a 16 and a 24 and another suggests a 32 and a 40). I'm using the first two and you cast 40 onto the 24 inch and then move half the stitches to the 16. Then you move everything to the OTHER ends of the needles (I forgot to do this once and had to start over), thread the cast on end through a tapestry needle and through the first CO stitch to close the loop and double knot. Then repeat on the other ends. After that, you simple knit across the two 16s and then back on the two 24s. Once you get the set-up right, it's pretty cool.

I'm probably making it sound harder than it is. My confusion is keeping the two balls of yarn and the ends separated nicely. I don't work well with lots of threads hanging.

Have you tried Magic Loop? That makes more sense to me than the dpn's poking at me from all angles...:gah:

auburnchick
06-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I actually did make two socks on ML. I liked having both socks done at the end, but sliding the stitches from one end of the needle to the other wasn't my favorite thing to do. I prefer using two circs. But I'm glad I learned ML because I've had a use it a couple of times since...not having the right size circ.

mathwizard
06-13-2008, 07:35 AM
My socks in progress are on two circulars
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/2575416048_eacac0cefe.jpg?v=0

I found that Antje Gillingham's explanation made it easy for me. I now don't get my yarn tangled and I like the idea of my socks being finished within minutes of each other. I can also try them on for fit as I am working them.:cheering:

auburnchick
06-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Those are pretty! I love the color!!!

Doublereeder2
06-13-2008, 09:16 AM
What a great find! Now your boss will wonder why you are vounteering to make the drive :-)

auburnchick
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
What a great find! Now your boss will wonder why you are vounteering to make the drive :-)

:rofl: