PDA

View Full Version : What geeks do at weekends ...

tarrentella
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know about you guys but i spent my weekend trying not to get involved in a grudge battle between the Fjord Merisusi and Red Hive wasps, carousing and making inapropriate comments about biscuits, eating toffee apples, intimidating Wemics and generally being a hard-*** rabbit!

Cynamar
06-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Um...wow. Is that a ren fair? Looks like fun! But hot.

Sunshine's Mom
06-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Also, it looks like try-outs for the band GWAR.

saracidaltendencies
06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Also, it looks like try-outs for the band GWAR.

LOL! Man, GWAR is awesome...I'm not too into their music but I swear, their live shows just rock!

evona
06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
D & D?

tarrentella
06-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Somewhere between D&D and ren-fair!

it is an activity called LARP (live action role play) and this was a weekend event called the Carnival of Carnage, part of the Maelstrom game. Severeal hundred people all in costume as various characters (different races, cultures, allegiences, religions etc) in a field for 3 days doing some very odd things!

and GWAR showas are brilliant fun (if you ignore the music!)

Sewing Angel
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
When I saw the picture, I thought it looked like live action Warhammer! DS has painted 100's of Warhammer miniatures.

evona
06-13-2008, 12:20 PM
How interesting! Being the goth kid that I was I played Runequest when I was a teenager and then Highlander when I was in my 20s. (BTW - We called ourselves death rock when I was a teen and Goth was what people called us when they wanted to mock - not to be confused with death metal which is not remotely similar). We had the most fun when we played live action Highlander on Universal City Walk here in L.A. People not involved were very confused, but it was tons of fun.

Duessa
06-14-2008, 04:25 AM
LOL, Larping cracks me up! we have a group at my college and they have these things that look like pool noodles that they fight with. I never made it that far. I play D&D from time to time. it's fun but takes quite a bit of time. I usually content myself with a little WOW these days. takes less time and commitment and less organization. (getting seven people together for a potentially all nighter of D&D takes a lot of work plus someone has to come up with the campaign lol ) It is so cool to meet someone else that knits and is as weird as myself. lol