PDA

View Full Version : is it ever ok to make a pregnant lady cry?

ecb
06-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I am making a baby blanket for a waitress at one of my absolute FAVORITE restaraunts. I am using Nashua Superwash, with 2 shades of green, Pumpkin, yellow, and off-white
I have been VERY worried she would not like the colors
seems I was wrong, she LOVES it, even before she knew it was HER blanket
I gotta do a better job of not making her cry next time, even the one tear I saw was more than I was ok with

It is basically an altered Hoover (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATThoover.html) Blanket, I did a seed stitch edge, and color squares alternating one row to the next, and the second color changes each row alternately all done in double knit

red yellow
white red
green white
yellow green

make sense?

ecb

mwhite
06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Positive crying is okay! LOL! I do love the colors in the blanket!!!

Knit4Fun
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, I've worked with a lot of pregnant ladies in my career, and I have to say that it oftentimes is NOT hard to make them cry...especially if you do something so amazingly sweet like that for them! Heck, I'd cry (happy tears, of course) for a gift so lovely and from the heart (and I am not pregnant!). It's beautiful! :inlove:

ecb
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I am REALLY really enjoying making it, but I am not sure I can get it done by mid August. This IS her first baby, so maybe to the last week in August.
I am SOOOOO relieved that she likes the colors
Even though the baby is being born in August, it will be an autumn baby (a little baby all through autumn) so the colors seemed appropriate.
The Double Knit center will be good padding while the baby is moderately immobile, and the seed stitch edge will be a good textural difference throughout. one the baby is less immobile, it will be much more cold, so the double layer will be extra warm. And living off the grid does not alway make for wanting high oil bills (heck ALL oil bills are high these days)

ecb

knitgal
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I thought pregnant ladies cried at everything? Heck, your post almost made me cry! Gorgeous blanket, it will be an heirloom.

scout52
06-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Is it bad that I started laughting at the title of this post? because my first thought was well don't they always cry?

Anyways. I adore your blanket. It is so pretty. I love the autumny colors and it so Maine!! I'm in San Diego now but I used to live in Massachusetts I don't miss winter but New England sure does have the best Autumn. and those colors are so New England. just Gorgeous!!

Jan in CA
06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Tears of joy are never a bad thing even for pregnant women. :thumbsup:

That's a beautiful blanket!

Jaxhil
06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
How sweet!!! It's been awhile since I was pregnant~ and if I was her I would've cried too!

Its a *lovely* blanket, and she is a lucky Mama to have a friend like you :thumbsup:

sue in canada
06-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Looks great. Love the colours.

MichelleC
06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Pretty!!

And it is okay to make a pregnant lady cry if it's tears of joy!

Crycket
06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Very nice....and very touching!

Dangles
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Ooo, looks pretty. Great colour combo too!

Cynamar
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
It's okay! Pregnant ladies cry easily anyway. It's a beautiful blanket! Great job!!!

SBG
06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
As a doula and childbirth educator, and mom of 2, I can say that pregnant women do tend to cry more than average! If it's happy tears, it's okay :) That was very thoughtful of you!

amy
06-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Awww, that's awesome. :aww: Sounds like she likes it!
No doubt she'll bawl when you give it to her. (Unless her hormones are swinging some other way that day. :teehee:)

susi
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
yep gota agree pregnant women do cry far far to much.

its totally georgous.

i actually used a blanket that was knitted for my brother when he was born for ds when i brought him home. its been put back away ready for the next baby in the family, a def heirloom. bet yours is the same its sooo pretty

letah75
06-13-2008, 07:25 PM
As a pregnant lady I say that it's ok to make her cry!

My friend did the same thing to me and it was fully ok.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
absolutely gorgeous

I admit to being a little jelous of your ability to keep track of working with the yarns like that! I hope one day i'll be good enough to do it!

ecb
06-14-2008, 02:07 PM
the nice part about keeping track like that, is the colors are the same 11 out of 12 rows
I only need to pay attention on Row 1, and then its that the color that is repeated is never on the same stitch (green becomes yellow, and white becomes green. Green in not on green for that ONE row) other wise the colors stay the same

the basic patter is on large needles
60 stitches, knit garter for a few (3) inches
then K15, kfb3o, k15
next row, K15, then (k1s1)30x, K15
repeate previouos row as often as needed for length
side note, every 8-12 rows you may need to add a garter row to BOTH sides
once piece is 3" from being square,
K15, k2tog15x, k15
then garter for 3" and BO

this version is free on knitty (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATThoover.html), so I think I M ok to repost it
this version you do not change colors at all, and you can make a double knit blanket with only one strand

ecb

tokmom
06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Very pretty!:heart: How could anyone not like those colors. You will have to let us know what she thinks of it when she realizes it's for her.

Debkcs
06-16-2008, 02:54 AM
I worked for an OB at one point early in my career. One day he walked into a room where I was with a patient. She took a look at him and started tearing up, then crying almost sobbing. "Oh Dr. Z, your tie is so beautiful!"

We both just about choked, but he put his arm around her and gave her a big hug.

The blanket is really pretty, and a few tears of joy are no problem for anybody.

becjo
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
That is a gorgeous blanket! And I'm sure she didnt mind shedding tears over kindess from others! How sweet!

bambi
06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Good crying is wonderful. And, if she is anything like I was when I was pregnant, you could say hello and she would cry.

Bambi

Raeknitsnwa
06-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Aww that was very thoughtful of you to make her that blanket its pretty I love the colors you used great job :heart: