PDA

View Full Version : Knitting lace with linen

psquidy
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Has anyone ever knit lace with linen? It looks beautiful when it's done and it looks like it would be fun to knit with. Is it?

suzeeq
06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Linen can be a little rough to knit up, but with handling and washing softens quite a lot. I've knit lace with a linen/rayon blend and it looks nice.

knitasha
06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I love Euroflax for narrow scarves that are actually practice pieces for lace knitting. Such beautiful colors, such good stitch definition.
It doesn't stretch out as much as wool does during blocking, so you might swatch with larger needles to see how you like the fabric. Suzeeq is right about the somewhat stringlike texture; but I dislike knitting with oversoft, mooshy yarn so linen is great for me. And it does feel soft against the skin after washing.

MaleKnitter
06-15-2008, 03:22 AM
I have a friend who crochets with cotton yarn all the time (she's amazing, by the way, she makes a few doilies a week)
recently she got some linen yarn on ebay
and she LOVED it, she loves the way it looks and the way it feels against her skin (she was going to make doilies until she felt the texture against her skin) she has edged several baby blankets and bibs. She is raving about it. She loves the different sheen it has compared to the cotton (I agree with her, it is really beautiful and different than what I normally would expect with the cotton yarn)

It makes beautiful lace,
I have never used it though, so I can't tell you if it is easy to work with or not, but the final product will be well worth it