PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you

SnowWhite
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi, I have picked up knitting after many years away. I am enjoying socks the most, but am anxious to try my hand at a lace shawl. I am a poor computer user and usually get so frustrated I just don't "go there." But I wanted to connect wtih other knitters for their experience and enjoyment.
Happy Knitting, Snow White

Knit4Fun
06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Welcome, Snow White! I hope you enjoy this site and get a lot of enjoyment from it. If you are trying a new technique, the videos on here are amazingly helpful, and it is fun to see what all these talented women and men have made on the Whatcha Knittin' topic pages. Be sure to post the wonderful things you create, too, so we can celebrate with you.

Big hugs to you! :hug:

auburnchick
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Snow! Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

The learning will come slowly. We'll be here to help you when you. :hug:

WynnieG
06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Snowy, don't hesitate to post or PM someone if you have a problem, knitterly or computerly! We're here to share the luuuv!

I'm knitting a lace shawl right now. It's the pattern Rona from Knitpicks.com. It is the largest, most complicated lace pattern I've ever attempted, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying myself! I cast on for this project on May 29, and am on row 55 (of 153). So...approaching the halfway point! It looks like a very intricately knit tam-o-shanter right now. I'm waiting for new needles in a wider circumference to arrive in the post.

Also last month, I knit my first-ever baby set for a cousin of mine. I just learned mattress stitch seaming (through here!) for that one. It was also thanks to Knittinghelp that I finally got my head around Kitchener stitch - but that was a while back.

I think you'll find a good community here, Snowy! Lots of friendly folk from all walks of life. There's been times I didn't have a local group of friends to knit with, and coming here was like having that camaraderie again. I hope we can be that to you as well.

dustinac
06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi and welcome to KH :woot:

I'm sure you won't have any trouble with a lace project...just make sure that you take it row by row...keep notes and track of where you are...use stitch markers after a repeat....place lifelines after a pattern repeat or where ever you are comfortable...don't be afraid to frog parts of it...that usually happens with lace and the lifelines will stop you from frogging to far...if you have any questions please ask, someone is always here to help...I hope you post often so we can get to know you :yay:

knitpurlgurl
06-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi and welcome!! I think you'll find that this site has a wealth of knowledge and really terrific and patient users (trust me, I ask alot of questions). The users here are all so friendly and willing to help. PLUS - this site is truly amazing. There is so much reference material here - it's crazy!! :)

Jan in CA
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Welcome to KH! There are lots of friendly, helpful people here to help you out!

Karina
06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome Snow white. watch your stash grow. I joined in January 08 with a carrier bag full of yarn and am now working towards filling my 5th big plastic crate. I love this site. people are always willing to help, always encouraging. Find I spend more time here than I do knitting. very addictive. Hope you learn a lot here and also think about joining Ravelry.com.

Wanda Witch
06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi, and welcome. The folks at KH are very helpful when you have a problem. The instruction videos have bailed me out more times than I can count. I am no computer whizz - whew - far from it, but it is pretty easy to navigate here. Glad you returned to knitting, I did also last fall, and am again hooked. So, grab those needles and Welcome Aboard.:knitting:

HollyP
06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi and Welcome!!! :hug:

mathwizard
06-13-2008, 06:49 PM
What can I add to all that has been said but HELLO AND WELCOME!!! You will find lots of help and meet new people who have knitting or crochet in common.

Plantgoddess+
06-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome, we fellow knitting addicts are always glad to add another to the fold.

Ivy19
06-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Snow White! I'm pretty new too and have found a lot of support on these pages. And you don't have to be that computer savvy at all. I agree with the advice about looking at the videos; they're awesome. Welcome, Ivy