PDA

View Full Version : Would this work for a blocking board?

SBG
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I was thinking about getting one of those pattern cutting boards, then just stick a towel on it and poke the pins through. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? I've never done blocking before, so I'm trying to figure out why a "real" blocking board is so freakin' expensive. Can I just use regular pushpins, like you'd use in sewing, or do I need specific blocking pins?

auburnchick
06-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't know about the board itself, but you need to make sure you get pins that won't rust.

knitasha
06-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I have one of those cardboard things and it works fine. I wrap it first in a plastic dropcloth to keep the damp towels from dissolving it. You can stick pins in it the way you do when you're pinning a sewing pattern.

Wildfire
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I use a gardening kneeling pad actually. But I haven't done any huge projects in a while. I've heard that you can take those puzzle piece pads that interlock (found at walmart, etc) and just lay your work upon those with pins and all..... much cheaper than similar (blocking boards) that have, what was it..... measurement markers?, on them.

I'm not an expert, but I think the only difference is that the blocking boards come with a measurement graph on it so you can pin your piece to the correct measurements.

Doublereeder2
06-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Sure you can use it, why not? Just put some dry cleaner's plastic bags down first so the moisture does not undue the cardboard. Then you can still see the inch markings for sizing. And as Auburnchick said, use stainles steel pins.

Miss Kittie
06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
That's what I have been using..
Wrap mine in plastic wrap. It works fine..

Wildfire
06-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Sorry, I totally misinterpreted your original question.... I don't know how, but I thought you were searching for a cheap blocking board alternative. Shows me for reading things too early in the morning ^^;;
I agree with the others, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

tgwillis
06-15-2008, 09:21 AM
I have one of these I covered with clear contact paper. I use it for sewing but it has made it last longer.

SBG
06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Sorry, I totally misinterpreted your original question.... I don't know how, but I thought you were searching for a cheap blocking board alternative. Shows me for reading things too early in the morning ^^;;
I agree with the others, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Nope, you were right! I just don't want to spend a lot of money. I like your idea! Thanks everyone :)

cam90066
06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I've always used my dressmaker's cutting board. As with others, I just put a plastic drop cloth over it. I don't use special pins seeing as I have tons of reg dressmaker ones. Super handy when you need lots of afghan sqs to all block to the same sz.

cam