PDA

View Full Version : Any nail color experts out there?

BobbiKnits
06-13-2008, 09:46 PM
No matter what I do, my nail polish doesn't last more than a day! I've tried every trick in the book. Does anyone else have this problem or some advice?

cdjack
06-14-2008, 10:52 AM
When I get my nails done (which isn't very often), the lady there puts "Sticky" on my nails before she paints them. In the bottle, the stuff look like its tinted green, but it goes on clear.
I know they sell it at Ulta. Maybe you can get anywhere they sell OPI or Essie. Anyway, it works.

knittingymnast
06-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Um, do you mean it doesn't last long on your nails? Do you put on 2 clear base coats on before the polish? I keep my nail polish in the fridge....And I put on 2 top coats after the coloured polish. I painted my toenails, and so far it has been fine for over 2 weeks! I also recommened trying different brands of nail polish. One of my favorites is "Lizz 2000 Nail Lacquer". My toes are "Lizz 2000 Nail Lacquer in color (I almost said colorway! :mrgreen: ) Presumed Innocent", which is a bright pink. Hot pink, bright pink, whatever. Hope this helped! :muah:

KG

knitgal
06-14-2008, 11:53 AM
When you go to do your nails, make sure they are clean and use nailpolish remover even on bare nails. This gets any oil off. Do this AFTER you file them so there's nothing to get stuck in the nail polish. You should definitely do a base coat and at least 2 coats of the colour. Make sure you let each coat dry completely before putting the second on. Then apply your topcoat. The topcoat is a major helper for chips.
Also, try using some of the better quality polishes, like OPI. They really do last longer.

Oh- and a side note- you shouldn't put your nailpolish in the fridge. It makes it separate.

Becky Morgan
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I haven't worn polish for years for the same reason. My nails are naturally hard, but polish makes them break and crack. The polish itself is only good for about an hour and a half unless I literally do not touch anything, which makes it last, oh, another half-hour or so. I gave up polish and just buff my nails to a hard shine.

When I worked at the bank and we were required to wear polish, I did find that Shell Pink fabric paint would stay on all day without causing any damage or smelling bad, but it's hard to find these days.

fireflyknitter
06-14-2008, 12:06 PM
My mom always told me to first paint the nails the color that you want, then take a cotton swab or whatever you put your remover on and run the swab along the edge of the nail to take off a teeny, tiny bit along the edge and then put on the protective top coat. That makes it so the polish won't chip from doing everyday things like typing.

divagirl
06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Always give your nails a quick swipe with alcohol or polish remover to clean off the oils before you polish. the 'Sticky" basecoat is really good stuff, you can buy that at salons. If you can, put a layer of topcoat on every day - this will help too.

An overlay of some sort - acrylic, linen or silk wraps, etc. - is the only surefire way to keep the polish from chipping. I could never keep polish on my natural nails either...I've worn acryilics for years and the polish never moves until I take it off.

KnittingNat
06-14-2008, 02:24 PM
On a side note - i always keep my nail polish in the fridge, i just shake it before use. I, my mom and my sister use only Orly polish. I always put a coat of "bonder", that keeps the polish on the nail, then i put the polish itself, wait a bit, put the "dry'n'sec" dryer and wait a few moments, then another layer of polish and another of the dryer. It keeps the polish for a week!

susi
06-14-2008, 03:24 PM
oh i have the same problem. i apply about 4 coats of the colour i want to wear and it chips and looks terrible in a few hours. i always put it down rto horses animals etc. but im going out in london in a few weeks time (and sooooo looking forward to it) and would love to be able to wear nail polish and feel girly for once rather than horsey lol

i will try in the fridge and layers of clear before and after, worth a try

Ronda
06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
My nail polish always chips, too, usually within hours of putting it on. I've never worn a top coat before. Maybe I should try that. The only time my nail polish ever lasted was when I got acrylic nails. I haven't had those in a long time!

Thanks for this post!

rachejm
06-14-2008, 05:04 PM
I read that buffing your nails so they are smooth is supposed to help. I bought some stuff called Just Buffed that they sell in the UK that is supposed to fill in all the ridges to make your nails smooth as if you have just buffed them, which I am about to try. I always use base coat (had a nasty episode involving black nail polish and no base coat that resulted in stained nails and have since learned my lesson!). I also always use top coat. That said my nail polish always chips within 24-48 hours, even the chip resistant ones. I usually do a french manicure, its not as obvious when it chips but its still pretty.

fireflyknitter
06-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Quick question-- why do you guys keep your polish in the fridge?

dustinac
06-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I've always heard that if you keep the polish in the fridge then it won't clump or give you those small bumps on your nails...I don't keep it there all the time but I will put it in there for 10-15 mins before I paint my nails esp. when it's hot and muggy :happydance:

As for chipping I always put a base/top coat and I have found that the OPI polish holds pretty good, except I haven't had as much luck with their new pen staying, which stinks 'cause I love the new pen brush...

I also love petites and find that it stays pretty good and it is cheap!

I'm a light pink girl...my 4yr old is all about color though :rofl:

Silver
06-15-2008, 09:17 AM
I've been wearing acrylic Pink & Whites for about 6 months now... they never chip or fade!! :cheering: But when I "go natural", This is what I do, and my polish usually lasts at least 3 or 4 days, but I can extend it for up to a week.

1. Wash hands and scrub nails.
2. Lightly buff the surface so they're smooth.
3. Swipe nails with alcohol.
4. Apply a good base coat. I use "Orly Bonding".
5. Apply 2 coats of color, letting it set at least 5 minutes before coats.
6. Apply a good top coat.

If the polish chips, I fill the chip with color and apply another top coat. I carry both the color and top coat with me because I hate chipped nails.

Polish is bound to chip off natural nails because of the natural oils in your nails. You'd think in all these years someone would come up with a chip proof polish that doesn't involve acrylic nails. :teehee:

cam90066
06-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I've been doing my nails since the 60s so have tried every polish, trick in the book. Back in the 90s I was forking out for manicures and got turned on to OPI so used that until I happened upon Revlon's ColorStay. I was touting the wonder of this product to a friend (also an OPI user) so took a pic of a two-week+ manicure. With rare exception, with both hands and feet, I end up doing new mani/pedicure due solely to the nail growing out (and gap forming by the cuticle). (I've gone several weeks before redoing the toes and nary a chip.)

Some months back my local .99 store had some RCS. Then, my local BigLots had bottles of it, as well. Of course, when I went back, there were no more. Argh.

BTW, because the RCS polish is used up faster than topcoat I've used the RCS topcoat with other polishes I have that don't wear all that well and the RCS topcoat improved the longevity and appearance. The RCS dries super fast so I'm able to to do both color coats and the topcoat, fully dried, in under 15 mins.

cam

knittingymnast
06-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh- and a side note- you shouldn't put your nailpolish in the fridge. It makes it separate.

Hmmm...I looked online and it said that I should keep it in the fridge. It keeps the colors brighter. I just shake it up again and the color is fine. Don't mean to sound know-it-all......

:hug: Thanks!

knitgal
06-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Many magazines I have read have said not to do so. I'm sure there are conflicting opinions on the subject.

gailf
06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Funny I was just looking at my chipped polish (just got a manicure on Saturday) I'm going to try some of the suggestions I read here.
I was just about ready to give up polish. Does anyone know if nailtiques works?

cam90066
06-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know if nailtiques works?

I tried it several years ago. Did notice an improvement. But given the price it seemed as tho just letting my nails go w/o polish for a fairly long stretch helped as well. (Can't help but wonder what all those nasty chemicals are doing. While the nails might look good the polish et al aren't letting the nail breathe, etc.).

cam

cheesiesmom
06-18-2008, 11:34 AM
I've been doing my nails since the 60s so have tried every polish, trick in the book. Back in the 90s I was forking out for manicures and got turned on to OPI so used that until I happened upon Revlon's ColorStay. I was touting the wonder of this product to a friend (also an OPI user) so took a pic of a two-week+ manicure. With rare exception, with both hands and feet, I end up doing new mani/pedicure due solely to the nail growing out (and gap forming by the cuticle). (I've gone several weeks before redoing the toes and nary a chip.)

Some months back my local .99 store had some RCS. Then, my local BigLots had bottles of it, as well. Of course, when I went back, there were no more. Argh.

BTW, because the RCS polish is used up faster than topcoat I've used the RCS topcoat with other polishes I have that don't wear all that well and the RCS topcoat improved the longevity and appearance. The RCS dries super fast so I'm able to to do both color coats and the topcoat, fully dried, in under 15 mins.

cam

I also have found that Colorstay is long lasting and I get it on-line at Drugstore.com or Walgreen.com. I have seen it in my local Walgreen stores also. But, as well as it stays on, I find that it dries out my nails which makes them break and because they don't recommend using a base coat, my nails have stained. From a longevity standpoint tho', it lasts forever!! (Well, at least a week on natural nails.)

So, I guess there are tradeoffs in all these things.

cam90066
06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
From a longevity standpoint tho', it lasts forever!!

That it does!

But, as well as it stays on, I find that it dries out my nails which makes them break and because they don't recommend using a base coat, my nails have stained.

I found that to be the case, as well, so have taken to applying an inexpensive polish (right now I'm using Maybelline's Wet Shine....just a sheer buff look... which was .99) as a base coat and that's made a world of diff. No staining, no drying and the durability of the RCS remains the same.

ETA: the RCS stays on SO well I was having problems removing it so that layer of something else as a basecoat really has helped in that regard.

cam