PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new Wordpress blog!

cristina61
06-13-2008, 10:25 PM
I just started a new blog on Wordpress and I'm having trouble because I don't know much about HTML and all that stuff.

I can't understand the instructions on using text widgets to add a button to my sidebar -- it's all Greek to me! If anyone here has Wordpress and can help me figure out how to do this, I'd be so happy.

auburnchick
06-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Christine,

You don't have to know HTML. Wordpress makes it very easy.

Basically, all of your controls are located in your Dashboard. Go into Dashboard, then click on Widgets. You'll see a list. Click on Add beside the ones that you want.

If you want to add links to the side of your page, go into the Manage tab within Dashboard. Click on Links, and then click Add New. Type the name, add the URL of the site, and then click Save (on the right side of the screen).

Is this what you needed?

cristina61
06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes, I did get that far; I clicked on the widget that said Text, and over on the right side of the screen it says I'm using one widget in the sidebar.

But I guess I don't understand what that actually means. How do I use this to place a button (image from my hard drive) into the sidebar? I'm missing something here.

ETA: The site tells how to add an image that has a URL, but I want to add an image I've saved to my hard drive (it's my Tour de France KAL button).

Thanks for any help!

auburnchick
06-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Do you have a Flickr account? Why not upload the picture there and then link to it?

cristina61
06-14-2008, 01:08 AM
I did that, and it worked.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of this new blog once I play with it a bit more; haven't had much time yet. I decided to "upgrade" from a basic Live Journal account, and I think I'm going to like this. More room for photography, for one thing!

Thanks again for the help!