PDA

View Full Version : Ambiguous gauge directions

Knit4Pie
06-13-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm about to start the Take it Easy Tee, from the July 2008 issue of Creative Knitting.

The pattern calls for both size 8 and size 10 needles, but the gauge doesn't specify which needles to use to get gauge (16 sts and 27 rows = 4 in).

Is there some general rule on which to use when not specified? I did it with the smaller ones, since I'm using a worsted weight yarn and that seemed more appropriate, but if I'm supposed to use the bigger ones, I need to know how to adjust.

Thanks!

suzeeq
06-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Usually the gauge is for the needles that will be used most for the pattern. Usually the smaller needles are used for the ribbing and the larger for the main body, so try it with the 10s. Cast on 20-24 sts so you have enough to measure 4" in the middle of your swatch. The edge sts aren't the same size and curl under, so the measure can be misleading if you only CO 16 sts.

Knit4Pie
06-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks! The larger size seems to be used the most, but I got gauge with the smaller ones, so I guess I'll just go down 2 needle sizes for the smaller ones instead. Or maybe just go down a size in the pattern. I'll figure it out tomorrow when I actually cast-on.