PDA

View Full Version : Is This Right?

McKnitty
06-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm knitting a triangle shawl. Will you please look at this pattern http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=25259 and let me know what you think about the 'finishing' instructions at the end of the pattern?

I'm having trouble understanding this part of the pattern, and it doesn't seem right to me. If you look at the picture, the crochet edging is shown along the sides (back) of the shawl. However, the pattern seems to me to be telling me to do the crochet border as a bind-off, which would be the long straight-ege that goes aross the shoulders and down the arms - right? I'm just not getting it.

suzeeq
06-15-2008, 08:27 AM
The shawl starts at the neck and is worked down, so yes, the crocheted border is the bind off which is worked along the 2 sides of the triangle.

McKnitty
06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Since the pattern starts with a cast on of 5 stitches and has increase stitches on each side of a middle stitch (that has a pm) it looks like to me that the pattern has started at the part of the triangle that is at end/back of the shawl (around the hips), and will end with the straight edge that would go across the shoulders.

I haven't knit a triangle shawl before so I'm having a hard time visualizing where I am in the pattern.

suzeeq
06-15-2008, 11:44 AM
In the original pattern on the Lion site, it states that it knitted top down.

Plantgoddess+
06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I did my first triangular shawl a couple of months ago. It started the same way and I thought the same as you. The photo showed all these little points on the sides and I couldn't figure out where they were when I got to the cast off row. Once I did the cast off, I'll be darned there they were. The cast on edge was the edge along my neck and the live edge ended up being the sides of the triangle. Trust the pattern.

McKnitty
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
In the original pattern on the Lion site, it states that it knitted top down.

Gee, that would have been helpful to know! I wonder why they didn't put that? Thank you!

McKnitty
06-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I did my first triangular shawl a couple of months ago. It started the same way and I thought the same as you. The photo showed all these little points on the sides and I couldn't figure out where they were when I got to the cast off row. Once I did the cast off, I'll be darned there they were. The cast on edge was the edge along my neck and the live edge ended up being the sides of the triangle. Trust the pattern.

I was comparing this pattern to another pattern in one of my books, and it actually has a schematic (why don't all patterns have one?) that clearly shows the pattern starts at the end corner which is at the back of the shawl. I thought that all triangle shawls were knit that way.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I feel much better!

suzeeq
06-16-2008, 01:01 AM
They can start at the neck, the bottom tip of the triangle or at one of the other tips. It's all in how it's knit....

tgwillis
06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
This pattern is an adult medium, could it be made larger?

McKnitty
06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
This pattern is an adult medium, could it be made larger?

I was wondering the same thing because this does seem a little small-ish. However, lace does seems to open up more once it is blocked.

I'm guessing you could make it larger, just as long as the last row can be divided by 3 (see the 'finishing' instructions - you go through every 3 stitches with a crochet hook).

McKnitty
06-16-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm getting close to the end and I'm starting to worry about the bind off/crochet edging.

1. I used double-stranded worsted weight yarn instead of bulky, so when I do the crochet edging do I still use double-strand, or go to a single strand?

2. I'm concerned about running out of yarn during the crochet edging (that is going to be a lot of crochet!) so I was wondering if it is okay to join a new ball of yarn while doing the crochet edging. And if so, where is the best place to join the new ball of yarn? (I've done very little crochet.)

suzeeq
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes, you can make it larger by just repeating the pattern rows more times.

McKnitty
06-16-2008, 10:49 PM
This is so cool! I am a visual learner and I wish I had seen this before starting the shawl.

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/shawls-shrugs/feather-and-fan-comfort-shawl.htm

If you scroll down a ways it shows the direction you are knitting.