PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Get a Tight Join on Circulars?

Knit4Fun
06-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I've been getting frustrated lately because when I start a project on circular needles, it is hard to get that join tight enough. So I started looking around for different ways to do the join...and I found a LOT of ways you can do it.

The one that interests me most is when you lift the first stitch off the right needle and move it back to the left needle and then K2tog for that stitch and the next one on the left needle.

Another one that looked good to me was the one where you move a stitch from the left to right needle (slip it) and then pull the second stitch (previously first before this slip stitch) over the first one and onto the left needle.

I haven't tried either of these yet...I was wondering if there are preferred joins to use to keep things nice and tight???

Jan in CA
06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you'll have to try them and see what works for you. I find though that I just join and kind of hold the needles close and after a few rows pass it's really fine.

suzeeq
06-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I do the CO 1 extra stitch and knit it together with the stitch on the other end join. Knitting the first st tight was okay, but it still didn't look right. As Jan says, experiment with both those ideas and see which you like.

gingerbread
06-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I do the same as Jan hold it tight and after a few rows of going pass the join it is fine for me. I haven't used any of the others as yet. What I do works for me.

:waving:

mwhite
06-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I do the CO 1 extra stitch and knit it together with the stitch on the other end join. Knitting the first st tight was okay, but it still didn't look right. As Jan says, experiment with both those ideas and see which you like.

I use this one, too and it works for me.

feministmama
06-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Another one that looked good to me was the one where you move a stitch from the left to right needle (slip it) and then pull the second stitch (previously first before this slip stitch) over the first one and onto the left needle.

I always use this method for joining in the round. It never fails me.

Jaxhil
06-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I also switch the first and last stitches cast on before I start my first round of knitting~works every time! I do hold the yarn snugly at that point for the first two or three rows as well.

Mike
06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
The one that interests me most is when you lift the first stitch off the right needle and move it back to the left needle and then K2tog for that stitch and the next one on the left needle.
That's the one I like the best.

of troy
06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
take your pick:(some have been previously suggested above)

join… just knit last stitch then first
before closing round, slip last stitch off needle, and first stitch off other needle. Cross them (a simple twist stitch) VVVVL|FVVVV–where | is beginning of round)
cast on 1 extra stitch–pass last stitch of cast on onto other needle knit last stitch and first stitch together (a decrease to correct count.)
Cast on. Use TAIL from cast on And regular yarn, knit first few stitches of round with both yarns, (be careful to treat the double yarn stitches as single ones on round 2–be sure to mark Beginning of Round (BoR)
Use method 1, if there is a big gap when you come back to beginning of the round, twist excess yarn into a make 1, and knit it together with first stitch of round 2 (to close the gap)
Other variations or combinations of the above –or something else completely different--(Gansey!) I tend to use method 1 for sweaters, and method 3 for socks..
pick the one you like best..
--for 6, (Gansey) cast on 1/2 required stitches, Plus 4 more (need 100? cast on 50 +4) work 3 to 5 rows
repeat(that is cast on 1/2 + 4, work 3 to 5 rows)
then join into round by over lapping 4 stitches of front with 4 stitches of back, and knit them together sort of 3 needle bind off style, (but don’t bind off!) do the same on other edge, and have a lapped placket closure on each side seam.

looks best if the over laps are both to front or both to the back.. (and yes, i have seen this used on socks as well as on sweaters--but for socks--only one overlap (cast on 60 (say) stitches , +3 (or 4) work a few rows, then over lap 3 (4) stitches and knit together

1--2--3--4
61-62-63-64

the lap can be center front, Out side (side "seam") or center back!

How should you join into round? you decide! its one of those a small persnickity details.. 1 is the plainest, the gurnsey style is most noticable. they all work.. they are all correct.. its ONLY MATTERS if you think it does!

The best method is the one you LIKE and can DO.