PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, I really need help.

tokmom
06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I made this bag and felted it today.

http://isela.typepad.com/looming_crafts/2007/10/candy-corn-insp.html

I put it in the wash with two very old faded pr of kid jeans that I use to felt all my things with. I was horrified to pull it out of the wash and see lint gunk stuck inside the pointed end of the bag. It literally felted right into the yarn. I tried to pull out as much as I could and I re-washed it by itself to see if I could brighten up the white. I put in some oxyclean. THAT turned the tip a dingy whitish/yellow. :waah:
It's ruined, isn't it? There is nothing that will probably fix it now?
Thankfully, it knits up quickly, but still.
I can't use it knowing it's ruined. I wanted it perfect. I'm kicking myself for felting it with denim, but I have never had that problem before. I even used a color catcher.

Any ideas on how to fix this one? Or should I live with a dingy blue-ish white tip?

What about felting the next one? Any ideas on keeping gunk and lint out of the bottom of the bag?

lactosefree
06-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your experience :(

Whenever I felt, I always put the item to be felted into a zipped pillowcase all by itself. That pillowcase gets tossed into the washer with the jeans/tennis balls. That way nothing touches the knitted item, and it also keeps lint that comes from the knitted item from clogging up your pipes/drains.

tokmom
06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
That's a good idea. I know people do put it in lingerie bags, etc..but I never have. I never thought stuff would end up in the bottom of this bag.
I'm wondering if using RIT color remover would take out the dingy yellow and blue? My only concern is it would leech up into the orange.
I even thought off cutting of the felted white part and somehow knitting and then sewing another one back on. :roflhard: Can you tell I'm desperate? OH well, live and learn.
I'll quit rambling..:aww:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

kellyh57
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
A long time ago I washed a white sweater with a brand new red skirt. DUH! I used the color remover and it turned the white sweater a little dingy yellow, but much better than tie-dye pink! I guess it wouldn't hurt if you're thinking about redoing it all over anyway. I accidentally bleached a wool star a few months ago. I forgot that bleach ruins it and wasn't thinking about bleach in the washer when I tossed it in. Luckily it only took me an hour or so to reknit it.

Kelly

tokmom
06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
A long time ago I washed a white sweater with a brand new red skirt. DUH! I used the color remover and it turned the white sweater a little dingy yellow, but much better than tie-dye pink! I guess it wouldn't hurt if you're thinking about redoing it all over anyway. I accidentally bleached a wool star a few months ago. I forgot that bleach ruins it and wasn't thinking about bleach in the washer when I tossed it in. Luckily it only took me an hour or so to reknit it.

Kelly

Oh ouch on that one. I guess I will just re-knit the darn thing and call it good. My 6 yr old will be happy to use the dingy one to drag around the house.