PDA

View Full Version : Paying For Knitting Classes

KnittinMitchie
06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Here lately I have noticed that some of the local yarn stores like to charge people just to come in and ask a simple question OR they want $40 for a SINGLE class. I don't know about any of you but that is a good bit of money to spend. Another thing is that Michael's and Hobby Lobby no longer offer Knitting OR Crochet Classes, at least in my area.

So what I was wonder is what do you thing is a good price to pay for a 4 session class, say to learn to knit socks and a 2 session class for learning a basic lace pattern.

I am going to be teaching online knitting class (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80586) so this is why I am curious. Now I learned to knit AND crochet from family members and books, but actually SEEING some one do socks or lace helps me learn.

knitgal
06-15-2008, 05:16 PM
I really think it depends on things like class size, whether materials are included and the quality of teaching. If the shop is getting a knitting expert in, I would expect to pay more. I'm surprised that a LYS would charge just to answer a question- heck we answer question for FREE on here!

lactosefree
06-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the prices at my LYS where I've taken classes are very reasonable - especially since I live in an area that has a very high cost of living.

The 'socks!' class is $60 for four 90 minute sessions, which comes to $20 an hour.
The 'lace knitting' class is two 90 minute sessions for $40 which is about $13 an hour.
The 'my first sweater' class is six 90 minute sessions for $120 which also comes to about $13 an hour.
Private one-on-one lessons are $30 an hour.

My LYS doesn't charge people who come in and ask a question or two. I can see how they may want to charge if the person coming in requires half an hour of their time to sit and teach them how to do something specific. In which case the LYS should advise them to take a class or have a private lesson.

I agree with knitgal, ultimately it depends on how experienced the teacher of the class is, what the maximum number of students in the class is (obvioulsy the more ppl the less attention you'll ultimately get) and the area you live in/cost of living.

boo1
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
3-4 hours depending on the needs of the student. My LYS owner will stay over if needed.

Mike
06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
The local community college charges $56 for crochet 101, basically learning SC.
They charge another $56 for Crochet 102, learning DC, with the prerequisite that you paid them $56 for 101.
$112 to barely learn basic crochet. (I think it's 4 weeks per class.)

Personally I wouldn't pay anything. That's what books, internet and friends/relatives are for.
My sister taught me to crochet over the phone. (She didn't think it would work and wanted me to drive over but I forced her, just tell me what to do.)

I guess someone who doesn't learn easily would think differently, but even for them I don't see why it would take 4 weeks to learn to knit or crochet.
That is wasting time doing a project and not teaching how.
A 30 minute TV show can teach you to make a chain or cast on and SC or knit/purl.

The biggest issue I've had was deciphering the code of patterns (and deciphering poorly written instructions, which I think is a difference between how men and women think because I can read them to my sister and she knows what they are saying to do even though she doesn't knit).

mathwizard
06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
I took a sock class at my LYS and it was expensive. I had to buy their yarn in order to take the class. The yarn cost me 25.00 and the three session 2 hour class cost $40.00. Overall cost seems a lot but breaking it down it wasn't too bad. The only gripe I have is in order to take a class there you have to but their yarn.

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 08:03 AM
The classes I checked out were $45 for 4 sessions (2 hours each session). Materials were not included. So, I think it really depends on the teacher quality, if materials are included or not, the size of the class, and the LYS's policies on buying materials in their store or not. Those stores that make you purchase your supplies there typically charge less for the classes since they are making it back (and then some) when selling the materials. :) As I indicated in the poll, I'd gladly pay $20/4 session class.. You could always offer a free class to wet the appetite and for people to see if online classes are for them and then charge for subsequent classes.. Make sure you push in your advertizing that people are saving GAS by taking their courses online!! That means they will actually SAVE money by taking your classes instead of driving somewhere. Good luck! I'm so excited to take your classes. I just can't wait! I want so badly to join the ranks of knitters who knit more than rectangles!! ;P

KnittinMitchie
06-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Hey I'm ALL for saving money on gas :) Plus I know some of us, me included, don't have an LYS to go to for lessons AND show me what I did wrong help. This is why I think the online classes are going to work and be SO much fun. Right now I'm shooting for an hour long class. I'm sure we'll have class longer than an hour but I figured that was a good amount of time to start with.

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey I'm ALL for saving money on gas :) Plus I know some of us, me included, don't have an LYS to go to for lessons AND show me what I did wrong help. This is why I think the online classes are going to work and be SO much fun. Right now I'm shooting for an hour long class. I'm sure we'll have class longer than an hour but I figured that was a good amount of time to start with.

Sounds good to me. I've never formally taken a knitting class so I am really psyched. BTW- you mentioned crochet... Will you offer beginning crochet classes someday.. (please, please, please!!) :pray:

KnittinMitchie
06-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds good to me. I've never formally taken a knitting class so I am really psyched. BTW- you mentioned crochet... Will you offer beginning crochet classes someday.. (please, please, please!!) :pray:

I am going to be teaching a crochet class.

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I am going to be teaching a crochet class.

I'd love to learn to crochet.. So many knitters say how they also love crochet. I'd love to give it a whirl.

kaidyddd
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I just signed up for 8 two hour sessions for the month of July. It is $15/session. This is for a help style class. The class size is limited to 6, the majority of the time there are fewer in attendance. I back-to-back the sessions. Sometimes it is a class for a specific item--but some knitters are there for the class, some for help only. I drive about 16 miles one-way to attend. (But I do all my errands on either side of the class.) Why do I do this? Expert help from an excellent instructor. She has rewritten or helped me resize patterns so I have knits that fit me or knits that fit the person I am gifting. I am learning new techniques and stretching my skills beyond what I ever imagined. The instructor has knit every class item before the class begins (if a specific class is being taught) and produces handouts with supplemental charts and drawings if needed. I am pushed to try new items--my son is the recipient of a Norwegian sweater--the instructor brought her own sewing machine and walked me through every step of cutting a steek. Lace is next!

Yes, I have to purchase my yarn from the LYS, but there is a decent discount based on $$ spent. What I find though is that what I am knitting there is finished, fits and is worn/used so it's well worth the cost and travel distance.

Kaidy

GinnyG
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
My LYS runs "project" classses that are usually 6 weeks for $60.00. I have done several sweater classes and felt they were WELL worth the investment. They are usually limited to 6 or 7 people and last 2 1/2 hours. The instructors are VERY good and always available between class for questions.

bjc1050
06-18-2008, 03:37 PM
The local community college charges $56 for crochet 101, basically learning SC.
They charge another $56 for Crochet 102, learning DC, with the prerequisite that you paid them $56 for 101.
$112 to barely learn basic crochet. (I think it's 4 weeks per class.)

Personally I wouldn't pay anything. That's what books, internet and friends/relatives are for.
My sister taught me to crochet over the phone. (She didn't think it would work and wanted me to drive over but I forced her, just tell me what to do.)

I guess someone who doesn't learn easily would think differently, but even for them I don't see why it would take 4 weeks to learn to knit or crochet.
That is wasting time doing a project and not teaching how.
A 30 minute TV show can teach you to make a chain or cast on and SC or knit/purl.

The biggest issue I've had was deciphering the code of patterns (and deciphering poorly written instructions, which I think is a difference between how men and women think because I can read them to my sister and she knows what they are saying to do even though she doesn't knit).

I agree with you. Although I was taught the basics of knitting in junior high school, I had to reteach myself from books several years later. Also taught myself to crochet from books. I'm greatful for the tutorials on the internet which have helped me with more confusing techniques and stitches. I don't think paying for classes would be any more helpful and would only waste my time and money that could be spent on yarn and miscellaneous needles.

sakura-panda
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I went to my (now closed :pout:) LYS to learn to knit and I think it was $35 for two one hour sessions. I had missed signups for the regular class, so the owner taught me herself (I was a class of one.)

I'm all about supporting local businesses, so I bought my needles, yarn, and even the Vogue Knitting book from her. :) I have no idea if she required it or not -- it just seemed to me the best thing to do.

As for your question, I have no idea. I like having someone looking over my shoulder and saying, "Oh, don't put the needle into that loop, you want this one" or "Oops, you forgot to move the working thread" before I start the next stitch.

Learning by myself means it would take me longer to notice my mistakes and probably longer to unlearn them. :roflhard:

I'm not sure what I would be willing to pay for more than basic lessons -- it would depend on what it is. (I almost paid $45 for sock lessons until I figured out the three dates were not available classes, but that the class was three sessions. Then I couldn't do it because of the class times.)

I would not pay for an online class because part of what I pay for is the live person watching me and noticing my mistakes before I do. :doh:

GirlChris
06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I enjoy hearing what the prices and ideas are at LYSs all over. Here are the prices at my LYS...
http://www.theyarngarden.com/
I can't tell you how much I wish I could afford the kids summer knitting camp and for that matter how I wish I could talk my kids into it. Boys :wink: LOL

mare-nitt
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
My LYS offers all classes for $15.00, you need to buy the yarn and pattern from her store. She will continue to help you for as long as it takes, up to one year. You are always welcome to stop in and ask questions. Alot of the times it is one on one and she is very understanding.
The main rule is buy you yarn from her. Which I understand mostly.
The problem I see, is not many people sign up for classes, I don't know if it is the cost or what. But in most cases to knit a sweater is expensive and new knitters don't realize that.
I agree this forum is great for helping out with ???????'s

KnittinMitchie
06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I have yet to pay for a single knitting class. But I was sort of curious as to what other places do and charge. I am teaching free classes right now and have 13 students between my 2 classes. To go along with the classes I've set up my own forum and everything.

If things continue to go well and I have a good turn out for most of the classes then I may charge for the classes. I don't plan on charging outrageous prices or anything. Plus the patterns I use are FREE off the Internet and the materials are something you buy on your own. I'm not going to force someone to buy a certain brand of yarn because that is the yarn that is listed on the pattern.