PDA

View Full Version : I almost accidently got all knitting priviledges banned on all planes worldwide

iwouldratherbeknitting
06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Picture it... sitting in the cramped seats, my little knitting bag at my feet, my 5 double pointed bamboo needles stuck in that little 'catalog/movie guide' pocket, my yarn in my lap, the knitting all cast on for the hat (that I was going to make for Mason's mom) and eventually I had all 4 of the needles divided into the knitting on the hat, and I was using my 'working' bamboo doubled pointed needle and then suddenly out of no where...

ONE OF MY DOUBLE POINTED BAMBOO knitting needles... suddenly ricocheted out of my hand, bounced on the arm rest, and flew towards the window and I heard it hit somewhere in the row (or maybe even the 2nd row) behind me! Of course, I quickly placed my knitting in that little magazine pocket, pretended that I had nothing to do with the source of the airborne flying skewer... and hoped that it didn't land in someone's soft eye tissue.

When it was finally time to dis-embark from the plane, I looked behind me and under my section of seats and the flying bamboo projectile knitting needle was no where to be found.

I could just see it on the news as I entered the airport... 'freak eye poking out accident' caused by uncontrolled projectile flying double pointed bamboo knitting needles... Picketing at airports... news at 11.

After hours and hours of flying, I finally told my 6 foot something, hulking Army soldier seat mate about it... (we were the only 2 in the window seat section) and he laughed out loud for quite some time... when I told him what happened.

I told him so he could help 'innocently' look for the knitting needle for me. We did not find it- nor, did we dare ask anyone around us if they had 'seen it' as it flew by!:aww:
I wrote about it on my blog and included photos of the hat. It's really a deep red... the 110 AZ hot sun 'bleached the color' out...
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/2008/06/if-only-it-was-that-easy.html

Jan in CA
06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Yikes. I usually just take something with circular needles. Less problem with the becoming projectiles that way. :teehee:

iwouldratherbeknitting
06-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I know... usually just circs for me too- but, I needed to get the hat knitted for Mason's mom... before the hand surgeon tells me that I can't knit anymore for awhile.

AND... this was the first time that I ever had a needle go flying off like that and it had to be on a PLANE when it happened! :D

Mike
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
before the hand surgeon tells me that I can't knit anymore for awhile.

AND... this was the first time that I ever had a needle go flying off like that and it had to be on a PLANE when it happened! :D
Sounds like my brother before his surgery. He was trying to build a house before he was told he had to lay off. I watched him hammering, then the hammer went flying, but not out of anger.

blueygh2
06-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Oh I love my circs :D

This is one good reason to love them more.

Pat in Ca
06-16-2008, 12:58 AM
the last time I heard from you, you were frantically looking for those double pointed needles in your packing boxes..

I TOLD you to take the 2 circulars..lol..I do love hearing about your adventures..were you able to get the hat done????

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
LOL! I have never flown with knitting needles. (I've only flown a couple of times though.) I think it's hysterical. I usually fall asleep on flights.

I can just see the headlines now.. " Thwarted Terrorist Plot to Stab Pilot and Take Over Flight." .. A plot to hijack a local plane was Thwarted yesterday when a primitive bamboo shiv was found on the plane. Apparrently, the shiv was to be used to harm the pilot, but the terrorist lost control of the object, thus rendering him/her harmless. FAA has decided to check all wooden skewers and knitting bags. Details to follow.

iwouldratherbeknitting
06-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Yes, I had to go back and buy more double pointed needles to make a whole set... I'd ended up with only 1 or 2 of each size-- not a COMPLETE SET. I had also saved out only 1 circ of each size.

I went back to the fabric/yarn market to say goodbye to some of my favorite vendors (I had someone write it in Korean for me) and one of my favorite yarn sellers ... just gave me the missing double pointed needles that I had selected to make whole sets out of what I had w/ me. Wasn't that sweet of him?

In the yarn market that I visit in Korea, you can buy the needles one at a time- you don't have to buy the double pointed as sets.
The hat is finished and looks good- I'll try to take a photo of it and put it on KH in a few days.

mwhite
06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
:tap: "And just WHAT do you think you're doing there, Missy???" LOL! I can just picture the stewardess standing there looking at you! Wonder what the heck happened to the needle? :roflhard:

sue in canada
06-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I too wonder what happened to the needle.

Where are you now and when do you actually get to Germany? I always enjoy reading about your adventures.

McKnitty
06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Funny story! That was quite an adventure! I haven't flown with needles yet, but I've taken my knitting to a lot of places and I'm amazed at how many people have asked me if I've ever 'poked' anyone with my needles. I usually say 'not yet, but I have thought about it' :teehee:

Lisa R.
06-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Some passenger somewhere is unpacking a carry-on or a purse and pulling out this needle, saying, "what the heck?!!!!":rofl:

Wanda Witch
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Maybe someone used it as a bookmark? What a funny story, sounds almost like an old Carol Burnett sit-com. :rofl:

Cynamar
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Maybe there was a knitter behind you who was missing a DPN from her set.

becjo
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
That is hilarious! How did you not bust out laughing? I would have been a dead give away on who was to blame! OOPS - SORRY! with a smile on my face! So were you not able to knit the rest of the way - forget that - I'd take the punishment & keep on knitting!

iwouldratherbeknitting
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
It was so funny... but, I quickly protected my identy of being the person w/ the flying bamboo knitting needle... but, immediately stuffing my knitting in that little magazine pouch in front of my seat...

HOWEVER, after about 20 minutes.. (when I thought all stares aimed in my direction had ceased) I did pull out my knitting and did manage to finish the hat.

My seatmate slept during most of the flight... and it was such a funny story that when I told him... he was laughing out loud about it for several minutes. He told me that he had also lost his airline ticket somewhere under the seat (there isn't any room to look for anything that you dropped) and when everyone stood up... waiting to get off the plane, we looked for his ticket and my missing bamboo double knitting needle. We found his ticket- but, not my needle.

I do wonder where it went? It wasn't right behind us (because I looked under our seats and the seats behind us)... so, I can't even imagine where it flew to??

AND, that (flying out of control needles) had never happened at home... but, my oh my... to happen on a plane... and w/ the way that everybody over-reacts nowadays... the best response (on my part) was to ignore it and start reading my magazine... anything not to draw attention to me or my knitting... hee hee

But, I was picturing 'newspaper headlines' and CNN news reports in my head.

jess_hawk
06-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I'd go with the theory of a knitter behind you. I can imagine being that person and having your needle fall into my bag and then when I locate it going, "Man, I thought I took all of those OUT of my bag before I left home" or better yet "I thought I only bought five of these, how come I now have six?... oh well, next time I lose one I don't have to buy a new set, yay!"

Your poor seatmate, he lost his TICKET? OMG I would have been in a PANIC the ENTIRE flight. On shorter flights I literally never let the ticket out of my hands, I'm so afraid of losing it; on longer flights it goes in with my passport, which is strapped to my body at all times. I check my tickets about every five minutes to be sure that none of them fell out of the little envelope. I put one in my purse instead once and nearly gave myself a heart attack when it wasn't in with the others (I had four flights in a row and thought it would be a good plan to put the next flight's ticket where it was more accessible).

I've found that knitting has a fortunate tendency to not attract negative attention while flying. Coming home from Alaska (granted, a domestic flight) I accidentally left ALL of my needles: straights, dpns, and circs - in my carry-on. I discovered this at airport #2, after going through security without a problem. Though perhaps little white girls who look almost in tears (I'd missed my flight and found out that I had 5 hour layovers in Seattle and Dallas before I would get home) and like they've been in the woods all summer don't fit the terrorist profile. Nor is Alaska a likely place from which to base your terrorist operation, come to think of it.

I've never thrown my needles at any of my fellow passengers, though. You sound dangerous. They probably have secret cameras on the planes and after reviewing footage of the needle-projectile event, you will be forced to submit to a full body cavity search and turn in your needles at every security checkpoint you encounter from this point forward.
JKJKJK!!!

iwouldratherbeknitting
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
We did find his ticket... I don't think that he was worried- since, he slept most of the way and probably didn't even know it was missing until it was almost time to land.

I always worry that I will lose my tickets too and did you know that I have actually found 2 airline tickets on bathroom counters at airports! I turned them in to the nearest counter.

GirlChris
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
PIMP :roflhard:

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Yi-yeee! Scary! All of a sudden out of no where, comes a knitting needle and pokes out my eye! :roflhard: Just kidding! That would be so freaky!