PDA

View Full Version : Knitting with a yarn I hate...

Ronda
06-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't know if I can explain this well (I'm hoping for suggestions that might solve my problem), but I'll try.

It's very hard to explain to my 10-year-old DD that just because a yarn is PRETTY doesn't mean it will be user friendly. :) She wants a matching hat, mittens, and scarf, and she chose Patons Nuance in a brown/green/gold metallic (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=nuance). It is very pretty and very soft. When I knit, I wrap the yarn around my pinky and then it goes up over my index finger. With this yarn, I end up getting a "ball" on the yarn from the tension. I have to keep staightening out the yarn and loosening up that ball. Even after I do that, the yarn coming up from the skein isn't "the same" anymore. Does that make sense? I've noticed this as well with Patons SWS. I've tried loosening my tension. I've even tried not wrapping the yarn around my pinky. I still get that little ball. I'm so not enjoying this yarn that I want to just stop, but DD really like the yarn, and it matches her winter coat very well.

If anyone can make any sense of what I said and has any suggestions, I am all ears!

suzeeq
06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Have you tried just threading the yarn between your fingers? Over the index, under the middle, over the ring finger and not wrapping it around any of them. I find this works very well. You can adjust your tension by holding your fingers close or further apart.