PDA

View Full Version : If you could knit any one item with any yarn

tokmom
06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
and do it perfectly ( I'm still ruminating over my ruined felted bag, lol)
what would it be?

I'd have to say an afghan with Noro Kureyon. I'm in love with that yarn.:inlove:

Lisa R.
06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
If I knew in advance I could knit it perfectly, I'd go ahead and try knitting a sweater! One of these days I will, but I need to finish some things, get my stash down a bit, and save up for the yarn.

I should be finished an entrelac scarf today, that I knit in Noro Kureyon. I have to say, it has been quite disappointing after all I've heard about it in the knitting community--it's SO scratchy!

Crycket
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Oh...that is tough...that is like saying if you could be with any celebrity who would it be...(actually that is easy for me...it would be Drew Carey!)

Anyway...that is a tough question. I would want to knit with a wool that I couldn't afford right now...something handdyed, from some little town, likely alpaca....

I would want the patience to do an afgan, but the with the power of flawless knitting...probably a dress...or Jacket...

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd probably knit a big comfy shawl with some form of baby soft cashmere.

Cynamar
06-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I would go to Scotland or Ireland and buy the nicest wool for a gorgeous cabled Aran sweater that I would wear for years and that the great-grandchildren would all want to keep after I died because it reminded them of all the cookies they ate in my kitchen while I wore my favorite sweater.

mathwizard
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I would like one year with unlimited funds to buy all the yarn or needlework materials I want and make the many shawls, quilts, sweaters, socks, and sew up a storm with the richest fabrics. Cashmere is at the top of my list and silk is right behind and both in shades of green which is my favorite color.:cheering::aww::yay:cloud9

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I would go to Scotland or Ireland and buy the nicest wool for a gorgeous cabled Aran sweater that I would wear for years and that the great-grandchildren would all want to keep after I died because it reminded them of all the cookies they ate in my kitchen while I wore my favorite sweater.

:aww:

susi
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
oh, i would make a dress thati am planning to get around to doing (its with 2.5mm and 3mm neeles, gulp). but i would knit it in alpaca as i've always wanted to knit with it, but cant ever afford it. instead its cheap yarn from the supermarket that looks great jsut dosent last as long, but i get the fun of making it :)

great questin

susi

jeanius80
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
i would knit knitty's Roam (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTroam.html) with Handmaiden Great Big Sea (http://www.colorsongyarn.com/yarns/hand_maiden/great_big_sea.htm) in the colorway Peridot or Capri. (this would cost me $323.50 from the coloursong site...)

becjo
06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Its hard for me to say too because I think there are more yarns out there than I've gotten my hands on that I hear everyone say are so yummy!!!
My personal favorite - anything alpaca - & to make anything against the skin with that. I love how soft it is! :heart:

threesmom
06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I think I would take on something lacey - a cardigan or something with a nice lace pattern. I love the look of it, and I've done it a few times, but I'm normally too stressed to add stress to my knitting by doing intricate lace! But I would love to have the time to sit, give it my full attention, and have something impressively beautiful when I was done. And as for yarn - I've been drooling over Fleece Artist stuff for a while now, or some of those big skeins of Lorna's Laces .. . Helen's Lace or Lion and Lamb. Ideally, it would be wool and silk. Ahh, a nice dream.

knitgal
06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
That is HARD! I love alpaca too- so many I would make the Great American Afghan out of some incredible alpaca (imaginary superwash alpaca that can be washed and dried). I want to make this pattern anyways, but it would have to be in something cheaper and easily washable.

tokmom
06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
That is HARD! I love alpaca too- so many I would make the Great American Afghan out of some incredible alpaca (imaginary superwash alpaca that can be washed and dried). I want to make this pattern anyways, but it would have to be in something cheaper and easily washable.

That's what I want to make and do it in a soft ivory.:inlove: Of course with kids, that's not practical, but one can still dream.:teehee:

Mike
06-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Cashmere (maybe alpaca) lined wool (maybe buffalo) outer long underwear, top and bottom.
Sure, with a flap, you never know when duck hunting and baring it all in sub-freezing temperatures is not fun.

Of course for me to know which ones I'd want I'd have to try them and all but the wool is so far out of my reach I haven't even touched them.

ArtLady1981
06-19-2008, 05:01 AM
1) For me: A high quality cashmere cardigan!
Priced the yarn in 2004. $600 for a plain cardigan, no cables.

Ouch. :doh:

2) For DH: a cardigan using Buffalo Gold.
Priced the yarn this past winter: $600-$700 for a plain cardigan, no cables.

Ouch! :doh:

So, no cashmere for me, and no Buffalo Gold for DH! :pout:

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Oooh, I dunno. Good question!

I just guess The CPH in some sort of midnight blue-y/purple-y angora merino....YI-yeee.

Mike
06-19-2008, 08:19 PM
1) For me: A high quality cashmere cardigan!
Priced the yarn in 2004. $600 for a plain cardigan, no cables.

Ouch. :doh:

2) For DH: a cardigan using Buffalo Gold.
Priced the yarn this past winter: $600-$700 for a plain cardigan, no cables.

Ouch! :doh:

So, no cashmere for me, and no Buffalo Gold for DH! :pout:

OUCH! That would probably put my cashmere/buffalo longies around $1200.