PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Cotton Yarns

threesmom
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
My knitting must be getting better! - my mom asked for a plain black cardigan for Christmas. I love knitting for my family, but I normally don't get requests for things, so this is exciting. I decided on a top down raglan that I'm going to add a bit of lace border to so it's not so boring. But I'm having a hard time settling on a yarn. The woman refuses to wear anything made of wool:shock: , saying its too hot! I'm using KP Comfy now on Wicked for me, and originally I had planned to use that. Now I'm wondering if it will hold up okay. So I'm also looking at KP Mainline, Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, Cascade Seirra or Pima Silk, Berroco Love It, and a few others. Does anyone have a favorite, worsted weight cotton or cotton blend that knits up nicely, is soft, comes in black, and wears well? I'm a wool girl, so any help is appreciated!

knitgal
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I have heard a LOT of good things about cotton fleece- the only problem is it can be delicate to wash. Whenever I am wondering about a yarn to use, I look on Ravelry. I look at the comments about it and what people have made (as sometimes there are comments about the yarn in the project rather). Perhaps you could take her yarn shopping with you so she can feel the yarns and see that wool might not be too hot for her?

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I like Mission Falls 1824 cotton yarn ALOT. :)

threesmom
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I have heard a LOT of good things about cotton fleece- the only problem is it can be delicate to wash. Whenever I am wondering about a yarn to use, I look on Ravelry. I look at the comments about it and what people have made (as sometimes there are comments about the yarn in the project rather). Perhaps you could take her yarn shopping with you so she can feel the yarns and see that wool might not be too hot for her?

I was thinking hard about the cotton fleece because I too had heard good things, but that is good to know about the washing. I had been checking what folks had to say on Ravelry too, but an awful lot of the comments seemed to focus more on the negative side, so I thought I'd ask for the positive side here! I'll have to check some of the pattern notes though - thanks!

Ellieblue
06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I have had good luck with KP Shine and Elann Espirit

becjo
06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I dont know much about it myself - but isn't a worsted weight cotton "heavy" - not so much hot - but heavy in weight? I'm making a wrap out of cotton & it is very heavy around the shoulders. Maybe a blend would be better.
Good luck with what you decide! I'm surey our mom will love whatever you make! There's nothing better than seeing family wearing things you've made for them.

booskibabe
06-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I love Lion Brand Cotton Ease. It's a 50/50 cotton/acrylic blend. I've used it for several projects and it's held up very well. They don't have a true black, but the charcoal color is nearly black, maybe that would work. I don't have any experience with the brands you listed, sorry.

threesmom
06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I dont know much about it myself - but isn't a worsted weight cotton "heavy" - not so much hot - but heavy in weight? I'm making a wrap out of cotton & it is very heavy around the shoulders. Maybe a blend would be better.
Good luck with what you decide! I'm surey our mom will love whatever you make! There's nothing better than seeing family wearing things you've made for them.

So true!

I think you might be right about cotton being heavy at that weight - I see lots of blends, and to be honest, I prefer blends to straight cotton most of the time - it seems to give it a little more memory, doesn't sag so much, and seems a little softer.

I think I might go with my original thought of using KP comfy - I'm really liking the feel of it, and I saw a few folks on ravelry saying it washed well.

Thank you all so much for your help!:hug:

suzeeq
06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
All cotton, not a blend, can be heavy. I knit tops on very large needles, about 10s or 7mm so I use less yarn and they're not so heavy.

Luvmyrottnboy
06-19-2008, 07:31 AM
King Tut is my all time, hands down favorite cotton.

Love it. The only place I have seen it in black (on-line) is discountyarnsale.com

threesmom
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
forgot about discountyarnsale.com - thanks! and king tut - I had only seen that at littleknits.com, and and no black there.

Thanks!