PDA

View Full Version : FO: "GROVE": My malabrigo, mid-calf, hooded coat

ArtLady1981
06-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi! Well, I finished it in time for a 3 day air-conditioned event that we must attend this coming Fri-Sun! Then we are off to the wilderness for a week!

The Yarn: Malabrigo Merino, 10 full skeins
The Color: "natural"...undyed, and very very soft because of it
The Pattern: "Grove"
The Designer: Elsebeth Lavold
The Book: Out of the Woods Book#13 (http://www.ingenkonst.se/eldcb13_e.htm)

Comments about the yarn: Malabrigo is warm, without being hot. I wore this coat outside today (sunny!) for a quite a length of time ...and I wasn't hot or uncomfortable! Nice, huh?

This pattern, for all it looks easy...was a nightmare filled with pattern errors and language ambiguities. And what made it worse, the designer doesn't include schematics in her books. Not one. Not even little ones. Fortunately, she will respond quickly to pattern questions that revolve around pattern errors. But not before I was yanking out my hair. :hair: Was the pain and agony worth it? Definitely! It fits wonderfully, and for the most part, the knitting went quickly. I blocked the pattern pieces before seaming. I was shocked how much dirt washed out! I use Unicorn Fiber Wash and Rinse (http://www.unicornfibre.com/). I don't know if the dirt embedded in the yarn while I was knitting it, or if it came pre-installed! But I am certainly glad I washed, rinsed and blocked the pieces! Phew!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2585655472_da418b7951.jpg?v=0

I am blocking out that little crease at the top of the sleeve now.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2585655574_25790ca6e0.jpg?v=0

BACK
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2584822501_5242ec5099.jpg?v=0

SIDE
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2584822071_83f2a05441.jpg?v=0

I love my buttons! Seven in all!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/2585655884_125a30544c.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/2584904341_5e3f5678f6.jpg?v=0

auburnchick
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Wow, wow, wow!!!!! It looks terrific on you!!!

How long did it take you to make this?

:passedout:

ArtLady1981
06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Wow, wow, wow!!!!! It looks terrific on you!!!

How long did it take you to make this?

:passedout:

Thanks Nathalie! I cast on for this coat on May 1st. The knitting was done quite a while ago. The washing, rinsing and blocking took forever. My blocking board would only hold so much at a time...so I had to to the BACK by itself, the FRONTS by themselves, and the SLEEVES by themselves. Then, the HOOD had to be knitted onto the seamed coat. Then it had to be blocked. Then the seaming, then the buttons, then the tinkering around with the blocked seams. But, this coat had to be just so.

I am glad it's done! :passedout: It was a pain, but worth the effort.

I posted a lot of notes in my Ravelry notebook. Anyone who is thinking about knitting this coat should read my notes. They may help you through the bumps-in-the-road. Wish someone at Ravelry had posted notes. One girl did knit the full-length version, but she doesn't post finished photographs. Nor does she include any notes. I know she MUST have had trouble with it. The full-length version had one less pattern error than the short version. But I discovered numerous pattern errors and ambiguities. The other girl doesn't utter a peep about her experiences with the pattern. I find that rather odd.

scout52
06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
:passedout: WOW that is AMAZING!!!!!! The fit is perfect and the stitchwork just perfect. I agree that the end result was worth the pain.

mimi
06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Magnificent, but why am I not surprised? Are you going to take a breather now, or have you already cast on for your next project?

ArtLady1981
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Magnificent, but why am I not surprised? Are you going to take a breather now, or have you already cast on for your next project?

Already cast on for a new project! A charcoal grey tweed jacket for my brother!

bethany
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
oh my. That is just beautiful. I'm amazed every single time!

boo1
06-16-2008, 09:06 PM
You're our knitting mentor. I can only aspire to be 1/10 as good as you are. Beautiful work and beautiful effort.

:inlove:

sue in canada
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
That looks fabulous. Everything you make always looks perfect.

Debkcs
06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Once again you've raised the bar for the rest of us, that is such a beautiful piece!

BTW, did I read that you knit every night between 9 p.m. and 0300, or was it just my imagination?

ArtLady1981
06-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Once again you've raised the bar for the rest of us, that is such a beautiful piece!

BTW, did I read that you knit every night between 9 p.m. and 0300, or was it just my imagination?

No, you didn't imagine it! I knit every night from 9 pm til 3 am.
I sleep from 3 am til 9 am. :eyebrow: Our 5 children are all married and
out of the house, and I'm self-employed...which means I am finally
free to do what I want with my time!

Crafty_Mel
06-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Again your work is amazing!!!:heart: :yay:

Knit4Fun
06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
You outdo yourself with every project! That turned out amazing and it looks so cozy - you'll really enjoy it this weekend... :muah:

knittwitt
06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
WOW!! :passedout: Excellent work!! I have to have one!!!!

Unfortunately, I am still waiting to be listed on Raverly. Would you please tell me the name of the book?

knittwitt
06-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Unfortunately, I am still waiting to be listed on Raverly. Would you please tell me the name of the book?

Oooops!! I guess the excitement made me over read your post. I now see that you listed the name of the book! LOL

robynbird
06-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Simply gorgeous!!!

Jen17
06-17-2008, 12:19 AM
It is just beautiful and you look wonderful in it!:cheering:
I have been trying to actually make something for myself and 3 days ago I cast on Puruvian Tweed to make the "Wrapigan". That will keep me busy for a while, but it looks to be very easy. BUT, if I had seen this first I would have chosen it to do for myself!
I will have to read your notebook and decide on yarn and it will be the SECOND thing I will make for myself!
(I am starting to be convinced that there are really two of you, you must have a twin to get all of this knitting done!:teehee:

Jen:knitting:

P.S. Edited to say: O.k. Change of plans! I read your Notes and I am always up for a challange, but I'm not crazy about aggravations!:wall: and I think this project would probably make me cry:waah: I think I will try to find something similar, but with an easier pattern! Thanks for giving the heads up about reading your notes!!
J.

ArtLady1981
06-17-2008, 01:49 AM

I linked the book into my initial post.
Click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80687)

So glad you like it! I appreciate your kind words! :hug:

Pat in Ca
06-17-2008, 02:12 AM
WOW.. that is just so beautiful.. I don't think I have ever seen something like that before.except maybe in Vogue knitting...incredible work..

GiddyKnitter
06-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Artlady your work never ceases to amaze me. This coat is absolutely fabulous!

LovelyLinda
06-17-2008, 07:53 AM
That is truly unbelievable. I don't think I will ever get to that point in my knitting but I can dream.

You did a fantastic job and wow you knit that up so quickly. But 9pm to 3am daily? :shock:

Karina
06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I love your coat. Would love to make something similar but without the hassle. Will have a look at your notes though just in case I could overcome the problems. Just love the cable work detail. And again you chose some lovely buttons.

Slim
06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
WOW!! It's absolutely gorgeous, and looks wonderful on you! I'm sorry it was such a pain to knit, but I'm glad you persevered. Enjoy your week in the wilderness!

GinnyG
06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
What a BEAUTIFUL coat. I am amazed at the complexity of the projects you tackle and the speed you get them done, you must NEVER sleep!!!!l

I bought some EL books (inspired by another project you posted) and quick look at her directions found them very confusing for me. I REALLY need things spelled out simply and exactly. Maybe you could start a new career of interpreting patterns for us simple folk!!

bambi
06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Really, really beautiful!

Bambi

ritaw
06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
OH WOWOWOWOOWOWOW !!!! Stunning work Artlady ! It is beautiful :)

Doodknitwit
06-17-2008, 11:24 AM
You're our knitting mentor. I can only aspire to be 1/10 as good as you are. Beautiful work and beautiful effort.

:inlove:

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is beautiful and you are too!!!:yay:

:X: :blooby:

GirlChris
06-17-2008, 04:27 PM
What a gorgeous coat. Alll the details really shine.
I am so glad that you are at the point in your life where you can enjoy your hobby and really get some good time into it. I am a night owl myself so to me it sounds like a great schedule because you can sit in quiet and enjoy your work but you didn't give up any daytime hours. My little ones are still young enough to be getting me up at the crack of dawn much to my dismay. I am afraid when I am finally able to put actual hours into knitting then my darn wrists will start acting up again. LOL But that really is an accomplishment to have that finished in 6 weeks no joke that would take me a year if I could even do it that is.

Have fun on your vacation, are you bringing your needles to knit by the campfire? :wink:

KnittingNat
06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
You did it again - absolutely amazing piece of knitting!!! I :heart::heart::heart: it!!! I'm not sure I would have had the patience :passedout:

ArtLady1981
06-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I love your coat. Would love to make something similar but without the hassle. Will have a look at your notes though just in case I could overcome the problems. Just love the cable work detail. And again you chose some lovely buttons.

I've blazed the trail for you! If you should decide to take this one on...I could be of great assistance to you. It was very :hair: for me to figure out her language ambiguities. By that I mean...it isn't so much what she DOES SAY...but what she DOESN'T SAY...and also, in translating from Swedish to English...the terminology is weird.

For example...for the hood increases, she says: "Inc 1 st inside the cable panel EOR 9 times."

My problem: "Inside" the cable panel...to me means inside or within or "in" the cable panel...as opposed to "outside" the cable panel. "Outside" the cable panel would mean that the increases occur in or inside or within the basket pattern that lay adjacent to the cable panel.

Well, suffice it to say...Elsebeth meant OUTSIDE the cable panel, and WITHIN the basket pattern. :doh:

It is a small matter of semantics, however, it has you scratching your head. Who wants to tear down the hood, which has cabling at both ends?

Well, that's just one issue...there were more. However, I muddled through them. Not without losing sleep in writing and re-writing the pattern. :doh:

ArtLady1981
06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
What a gorgeous coat. Alll the details really shine.
I am so glad that you are at the point in your life where you can enjoy your hobby and really get some good time into it. I am a night owl myself so to me it sounds like a great schedule because you can sit in quiet and enjoy your work but you didn't give up any daytime hours. My little ones are still young enough to be getting me up at the crack of dawn much to my dismay. I am afraid when I am finally able to put actual hours into knitting then my darn wrists will start acting up again. LOL But that really is an accomplishment to have that finished in 6 weeks no joke that would take me a year if I could even do it that is.

Have fun on your vacation, are you bringing your needles to knit by the campfire? :wink:

Oh yeah! I already have a major project started, and it will take me all of the week to knit it up (a charcoal grey tweed jacket for my darling brother!) He is a carpenter/contractor/custom builder of the highest degree of artistry and perfection! He is going to re-do my kitchen countertops in Aug or Sep in trade for this jacket! I was gonna do it for him for free, out of love...but he called me the other day and said he would do my countertops in trade. WhooHoo! (I pay him for his work normally. It is his living.) The trade is great because my husband wasn't thrilled with my idea to change my countertops purely for esthetic's sake. My DH is a practical kind of guy...if it still functions, why change it? is his motto. But my brother, in re-doing my kitchen (after the kitchen fire) said my counters need updating, and he isn't happy with how they were laid down by the previous owner. They cut corners and put seams in places that were wrong, to save on materials. It drives my brother batty. :eyes:

I guess he and I are kindred spirits in that department. And we are married to people who are kindred spirits in their spartan philosophy! I guess, as couples, we are all a balance!

GirlChris
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I can't wait to see that jacket. I am glad your brother realizes the hard work you put into it and that it equals his hard work in his craftsmanship as well. That's great and you can both be happy that you gave each other something special you will both spill mustard on for years to come. LOL :roflhard:

Karina
06-18-2008, 06:08 AM
I don't think I can get the books here in the UK. Is it possible to buy from Sweden. Where did you get your book from. I also love the Viking knits. will have to get those books as well.

I am hoping that since I am Danish the Swedish translations will make more sense to me as I can read some (very little) Swedish. some words are very similar.

dustinac
06-18-2008, 08:49 AM
:inlove: so pretty!!

lisa2
06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Wow that is beautiful! I wish that I had the time and energy to do a project that large. With three young kids it is not going to happen anytime soon :)

The.Knitter
06-18-2008, 10:11 AM
As usual, this piece is a tribute to perfection. Gorgeous work, gorgeous model. Wear it in good health!

domiknitrix
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
WOW!!!!! My knitting shero!!

GinnyG
06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I just found the book and ordered it!!!! I don't know that I will EVER get to it but I'm adding it to my ever growing stack of patterns to do before I die!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll print out your notes and stick them in the book when it comes.

I am amazed that it only took 10 skeins of malabrigo, I usuall get more than that for a sweater. Are they "double" skeins?

ArtLady1981
06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I just found the book and ordered it!!!! I don't know that I will EVER get to it but I'm adding it to my ever growing stack of patterns to do before I die!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll print out your notes and stick them in the book when it comes.

I am amazed that it only took 10 skeins of malabrigo, I usuall get more than that for a sweater. Are they "double" skeins?

Yes, it only took 10-215 yd skeins of Malabrigo! But that is a lot, 2,150 yards! It isn't a tightly knit coat. All done, it is rather light feeling! Nice!

If I had made my sleeves according to pattern, they woulda hung down several inches past my hand! I made them about 6" shorter. If I had knit them according to pattern, I would've run out of yarn!

Her sleeve instructions were another "error". The shoulder seam is a 'dropped' shoulder. I don't care what she says. She claims they are not. But, just look in the book, at both versions of the coat! The shoulder seamline is hanging down about 2-3"! Well, when you attach a sleeve that is already 23-25" in length...that makes a sleeve that would fit an arm that is 25-28"! My arm, from shoulder seam to wristbone is just 19"! Even adding another 2" to have a longish sleeve (which I did)...I only needed a sleeve of 21"! Any way you cut it...that sleeve had to be drastically altered...even for a tall woman!

Anyhoo, it is done and over. I am happy with the coat!

ArtLady1981
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think I can get the books here in the UK. Is it possible to buy from Sweden. Where did you get your book from. I also love the Viking knits. will have to get those books as well.

I am hoping that since I am Danish the Swedish translations will make more sense to me as I can read some (very little) Swedish. some words are very similar.

Hi Karina!

Here is a link with which to email Elsebeth Lavold. Ask her where you can get her book? She might know, or should know!

http://www.ingenkonst.se/desel_e.htm

Once you get to the page, SCROLL DOWN to the bottom of the page. There is a CONTACT link. This will set you up to email her.
She will answer.

DB

Karina
06-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I have just found a place where they have a book in stock. will order the book in the next couple of days I think. Will have to think seriously about the choices I make. Amazon.co.uk have a Viking Knits book I really want as well. Decisions, Decisions.

Karina
06-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Was just thinking. Is Cascade 220 superwash the same gauge as the Malabrigo. I see that the yardage is about the same. With that size garment I would really like to make it machine washable.

GinnyG
06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Karina, I ordered the book yesterday from :

theneedleartbookshop.com

They are in Canada so I would imagine they would ship to the UK.

Shewhoknits
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I am speechless at how well this turned out. You must be so delighted. I congratulate you on a peice that will be an heirloom.

You inspire!

Jan in CA
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
:passedout::notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I can't even get one sweater started...you are amazing! And that is stunning! The thought of hand washing it though... :zombie:

MerigoldinWA
06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
ArtLady,

I am just looking at "Whatcha Knittin". Wow, wow, wow is all I can say. Well, not all. :lol: That is an amazing project. What a lot of knitting, and done so quickly (and you don't even knit Continental ;) ) I don't know if I would have what it takes to do a project like that....and with errors in the pattern. :eyes: No wonder you were tearing your hair. No schematics? What are they thinking? But you did it!! I'm proud of you and of your bulldog stick-to-it-ness and ability to overcome all obstacles, including going to the top to get answers. You are our hero! :thumbsup:

The FO is beautiful and will be such fun for you to show off at the meetings you have to attend. Everyone will be impressed, especially other knitters. :muah:

We are so blessed to have you as part of our knitting community. You give us all inspiration. :hug:

Merigold

ArtLady1981
06-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I have just found a place where they have a book in stock. will order the book in the next couple of days I think. Will have to think seriously about the choices I make. Amazon.co.uk have a Viking Knits book I really want as well. Decisions, Decisions.

If that book on Amazon.co.uk is this one...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SSPrz131L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

...you should buy it! It is her first Viking Knits book, and it is the predecessor to her soft cover "Designer's Choice" series, books 1-14. After Knitting Fever, Inc. (KFI) picked her up...she started featuring her own signature yarns in the new series. But this book (above) uses different yarns of all kinds. It has better instructions, too. I still refer to it when knitting items from her other books. This book is a real treasure!

You won't even see this book on her website. Prolly something about her contract with KFI.

ArtLady1981
06-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Was just thinking. Is Cascade 220 superwash the same gauge as the Malabrigo. I see that the yardage is about the same. With that size garment I would really like to make it machine washable.

I've never used Cascade 220 Superwash. But, a gauge swatch tells the whole truth. If you can get an accurate gauge swatch with the superwash, and if it looks decent (not too compact, not too holey/ loosey-goosey)...then you are in business! :thumbsup:

For this GROVE coat, I was pushing the envelope with my gauge.
Her model coat calls for her Silky Flamme (http://www.ingenkonst.se/sfl_e.htm) which gauge is approx. 15 sts /4" 10 cm. So that makes it a heavy worsted, bordering on bulky.

Malabrigo isn't bulky. I started the BACK with one size needle...must've been halfway up the BACK...and it dawned on me that it wasn't knitting to gauge at all.
I had to re-knit the whole thing using a larger size needle. Peace restored! So even my original gauge swatch was borderline. Aaargh. This happens sometimes when you substitute yarn, hoping to make your preferred yarn work!

If the larger needle had not produced a good looking fabric, I would have been forced to scrap the Malabrigo idea. But, it did work out! I think because Malabrigo is kinda fuzzy and luscious, it filled in the stitches nicely.

I don't think Cascade 220 Superwash would be as forgiving. I don't think you could make it become the same gauge as Silky Flamme. But, as I said, a gauge swatch is your answer! And, make a 4"x4" swatch first...and if you have any doubts, make another one that is 8"x8". The more you work with the pattern stitch with the yarn...the more accurate 'big picture' you will get.

This coat is worth the effort.

ArtLady1981
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Ginny and Karina! If you are going to knit GROVE, I will be happy to help you. I still have all my notes, but alas, no step-by-step photos as with the Central Park Hoodie KAL that I hosted. If one of you begins the coat, let's start a KAL for it. Maybe others will join the fun.

First step, and most important: the yarn choice and the gauge swatch.

Karina
06-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Artlady that is the book they have on Amazon. May just have to order both.

I would really like to do this in a machine washable wool because of the size. The Cascade superwash would have to be ordered from the US so it is not worth the effort if it is not a sure thing.

I do have 4 skeins of Cascade Eco which is 1912 yards so am painfully tempted to knit a swatch and a cable to see if it looks good. May just have to suffer the handwashing. Since I don't have the book yet could you tell me what size needles the pattern calls for. I may just have a little play.

ArtLady1981
06-21-2008, 12:44 AM
The model sweater was knit using her signature yarn called SILKY FLAMME, and HERE IS A LINK (http://www.ingenkonst.se/sfl_e.htm) for the yarn on her website.

The pattern itself asks for a Silky Flamme gauge of 15 st = 4" on the K3/P3 block pattern using US 10 needles.

But that needle size doesn't mean a dern thing if you are using a different yarn. You MUST get that gauge with whatever needle gets it using the yarn of your choice.

Sometimes, even if you're using the yarn prescribed in the pattern, you may have to use a needle size up or down to get the correct gauge. This is critical for a well-fitting garment. If your guage is off just 1/4" over the swatch...you will have a HUGE discrepancy over the width of all the stitches. That 1/4" off just compounds itself.

Just be sure to GET THE GAUGE over a full 4"x4" swatch. Son't cut corners and do a 2" long gauge swatch. Keep knitting til the whole 4" is done. If you see that the gauge is horridly off, of course tear it down and re-do the swatch with a different needle size.

On GROVE, row gauge also matters very much. So you will be checking both your widthwise gauge (stitch gauge) and your vertical gauge (row gauge).

Sigh. But it is worth the trouble...and it is a learning experience.

Raeknitsnwa
06-21-2008, 06:16 PM
That looks great on you. You did a wonderful job it is goregous

mks22300
06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Another beautiful piece of work! :heart:

Karina
06-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Ordered the book today, they will post tomorrow. can't wait to get it.

Ronda
06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
So beautiful! You amaze me. I only wish I lived close enough to you so that I could pick your brain and maybe absorb some of your knitting greatness.

Skater
06-24-2008, 11:44 PM
You just keep churning these beautiful things out. You must be the fastest kntiter in the west!

Sewing Angel
06-25-2008, 02:14 AM
That coat is beautiful! It will be great for cool Seattle weather. I really admire your skills.

jberry16
06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
:thud: wow! way to go, it's beautiful!

Lima
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Never saw such beauty in my life time!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIIIIIIII-IG HUG!!!!!!!! :passedout: :passedout: :yay:

Karina
06-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I got my book the other day and the Eco wool is not going to work. can get gauge but the stitch definition is not there and the fabric feels to thin for it to be a coat and I think with the weight it will make the stitches bigger and looser. So that Idea is out. back to the drawing board. any recommendations on other yarns that would not require me to remortgage my house in order to buy the amount I need?

ArtLady1981
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I got my book the other day and the Eco wool is not going to work. can get gauge but the stitch definition is not there and the fabric feels to thin for it to be a coat and I think with the weight it will make the stitches bigger and looser. So that Idea is out. back to the drawing board. any recommendations on other yarns that would not require me to remortgage my house in order to buy the amount I need?

What would happen if you purchased an inexpensive wool fingering weight/sock yarn...and carried the two strands together?

I had to do that last year, to the right gauge in the first place, too. It was my daughter's Tempting Top. Rowan Calmer just didn't work by itself...but I carried Lara Endless Summer with it...and together they filled the bill!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2626712846_dd592cc8de.jpg?v=0

Can you see them? Lucky for me, the two yarns were the same color!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2625893505_89229c4672.jpg?v=0

I finally finished it, and here she is modeling it!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2626712990_768f154c08.jpg?v=0

I know what you mean about your gauge with ECO. I am so pleased that you recognize the too-loose stitch, even if it is the 'gauge'. (That's why yarns will give a needle recommendation on the label) Bigger needles may create a loosish, holey fabric...smaller needles may create fabric that is as dense as a rug.

Anyways, don't give up on the ECO. Do you have any ole fingering weight yarn in your stash, maybe just enough to knit a gauge swatch? It might be worth a shot, knitting with the two together.

My MALABRIGO just baaaaarely worked for this coat. The coat called for Silky Flamme, a rather bulky yarn...and as you know...Malabrigo Merino Worsted is considered a heavy worsted.
But because of its fluffy nappiness, it 'filled in' the holeyness factor. It was tricky, and I almost had to abandon the yarn/pattern combination.

Keep me posted. please! :thumbsup:

Karina
07-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Wool of the Andes Bulky YarnContent: 100% Peruvian Highland Wool
Weight: Bulky Weight
Gauge: 3 - 3.75 sts = 1" on #10 - 11 needles
Amount: 137 yards/100 gram hank
Care: Hand Wash/Dry Flat

Cadena YarnContent: 70% Peruvian Highland Wool, 30% Superfine Alpaca
Weight: Bulky Weight
Gauge: 3 - 3.5 sts = 1" on #9 - 11 needles
Amount: 110 yards/100 gram hank
Care: Hand Wash/Dry Flat

Here are two yarn that I am considering buying for it. Good idea combining the two yarns. I have some really nice dk yarn I wonder what the gauge would be if I double stranded them, would still have to buy more. will try later just to see if it gives me more options.

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Karina,

Well, the coat calls for Silky Flamme, which knits at 15st=4".
If I do that math to break it down into 'the inch', it is 3.75st=1".
The yarn you are contemplating is 3st=1". A big difference.

I'd say that the true bulk weight yarns will be almost too thick or fat to fit nicely 'into pattern'.

I'd try to swatch with some other bulky (12st=4" / 3st=1") yarns to see how they "like" conforming to a more compact space.

Know what I mean? If you knit with a smaller needle than the ballband of the bulky yarn recommends...in order to cram 15st into a 4" space...they can become too compact...resembling a rug or mat.

Be sure and swatch with some 3st=1" bulky yarn BEFORE buying a ton of bulky yarn for your coat.

Let me know! I am curious!

Karina
07-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Here is some photo's of the swatches that I have done so far.

First is the Eco which I did not like. to thin and no stitch definition.

Then I tried using some Sirdar Denim Chunky that I had in my stash. Got gauge but don't really like the way it looks.

Last I tried Sirdar Click Chunky because I had a ball in my stash and it is washable. got gauge and the fabric feels nice and I like the stitch definition.

So I thought if I could get gauge with these the other might work as well. and would be a bit cheaper.

All the swatches I did was about 8 inch square.

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey Karina!

I love the swatches!!! I agree...#3 with the CLICK is better than #1 ECO. I also liked #2...and it would flatten out and shape up after blocking. Your #2 swatch looks just like mine did before blocking.

WAY TO GO! I envy you the fact that you'll be able to machine wash!!!!! I dread washing my entire GROVE COAT when necessary.

I might just wash the sleeves from the elbow to cuff area most of the times. Just like we wash our hair in the kitchen sink, leaning over and wetting just the head without getting our whole body wet! :teehee:

It is usually just the sleeves/cuffs that get grimey. I'll just be wearing this coat to meetings and Bible Study group a couple hours each week. It shouldn't get too grimey.

I remember something Elsebeth Lavold said about us Americans:
she said we wash our sweaters way too much. She said most sweaters just need airing before folding them up and putting them back in the drawer. (of course, a heavy perspirer would be another issue) She said, when you take off your sweater, lay it flat on the bed or somewhere flat...and leave it to rest overnight...and fold it up the next morning. This allows for any body heat and moisture to escape...and the sweater is freshened.
She said that a lot of washings is hard on the sweater fibers. And of course, use wash liquids designed for fine knits. (Woolite is NOT good...too harsh)

Anyhoo, that's my sermonette for this morning! :roflhard:

Thanks again for sharing your swatches!!!! I loved it!!!

Hugs,

Artlady

Karina
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Makes sense about too much washing. Your (or at least mine) coat don't get washed every time you wear it. only if the kids wipe or spill something down me, which does happen. Thanks for the tip about the Woolite that is the only brand I know, will have to search the supermarket for what else is available.

I think I will still order the yarn from the us, just because I can (DH got a bonus and he told me to treat myself) then I can make two or maybe some of the other jumpers in the book. I till have to buy the Viking knits books because I love the cables on the sweaters.

Love the image your description of washing hair over the sink brings to mind. Used to have to do that as a kid. Sometimes we lived in housing that had very basic plumbing compared to nowadays.

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Click HERE (http://www.unicornfibre.com/) to see Unicorn Fibre Wash and Rinse. You could get it online quickly.

It is all I use! It is FABULOUS, and 3 drops in a sink of water is all you need!

wildforyarn
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Once again you have made a beautiful piece. It looks super on you and I imagine it is super soft. Wow!!!

Hygiene Mama
07-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Holy Moley, that's gorgeous! Great job...I wish I could knit like you!:muah: :inlove: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :woot: cloud9

lizardknits
07-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Already cast on for a new project! A charcoal grey tweed jacket for my brother!
cool
im sure he will love it
your jaket looks incredible:cheering:

ArtLady1981
07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I love this cream, undyed, natural MALABRIGO sooo much...I bought all 27 remaining skeins from halcyon.com! I am having such fun planning some additional cream color coats and cardigans. Maybe even a new CENTRAL PARK HOODIE with a Celtic Cable up the back.

tokmom
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm wiping drool off my chin. GORGEOUS!:yay:

twoxover
07-09-2008, 07:31 AM
oh my goodness! that's gorgeous!