PDA

View Full Version : June hail storm

vaknitter
06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
While at work a freak hail, wind, thunderstorm rolled through the county where I live and this is what used to be my garden - 4 ft tall tomatoes, blooming and growing sqaush, cucumbers, marigolds, and sunflowers. Oh and my beautiful lillies :waah:

Doublereeder2
06-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh No!!! I hope they come back....

Becky Morgan
06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Ohhhhh how AWFUL! I hope your tomatoes recover. Your lilies don't look too terribly bad; they won't be perfect but they'll still smell good. A lot of the vine-type plants can survive hail fairly well because they're springy. You probably won't have anything from the blooms that are on now, but with any luck they'll grow more. That doesn't help when they look so battered.

dustinac
06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
We got a hail storm yesterday too...bent a few things over...not like Friday though when the walnut tree was knocked over in a crazy storm...:wall:

Knit4Fun
06-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh no...sorry to see that...we got the storm here too (NoVa) but it didn't really do much damage right around us. I think we are protected by the mountains to the west, though.

We did lose a big tree limb a few weeks back during a storm.

Mike
06-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Hail sure is hell on gardens.
You should see what it does to lettuce.

Luckily this year hasn't been that bad. Either the hail was been light or spread apart enough.
But with the storms we've been having I expect once the corn gets up high I'll have to stand it up a few times.

Knit4Pie
06-17-2008, 05:16 PM
We had very light hail yesterday, not enough to really damage anything, but enough for Pie to get excited. Last week though we had a terrible storm, knocked at least 4 trees over...BIG trees too. Only one landed on a house though. Right across from the daycare, so Pie had some excitement. She told me a dragon came by, so that was exciting for her.

Mike
06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
We had very light hail yesterday, not enough to really damage anything, but enough for Pie to get excited. Last week though we had a terrible storm, knocked at least 4 trees over...BIG trees too. Only one landed on a house though. Right across from the daycare, so Pie had some excitement. She told me a dragon came by, so that was exciting for her.
I'm assuming "Pie" is pictured and you actually won't be knitting me a sweater if I make you a cherry pie :)

(First year I've had pie cherries in a long time between the birds eating them and the bugs killing the trees. And come to think of it, it was a storm that made me cut down my last full grown cherry tree, split it right down the center.)

Knit4Pie
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
LOL, yep Pie (Piper) is my baby girl. Although for a cherry pie.....

Doublereeder2
06-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Good golly - what the He#% is going on with the hail and winds??? We just had bad storms here today - mostly wind with rain. Trees in the neighborhood are down.