PDA

View Full Version : impossible wristbands

hartleystudio
06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I have this friend who has helped me a lot with my website and I innocently asked him if I could knit him anything as a thank you gift. I suggested a hat maybe and one to match for his infant son, a pair of socks,...you know, something normal. He writes back that he wants wristbands. I, jokingly, wrote him back asking if they were for working out, as he isn't the working out type at all. He replied that he does want them for ACTUAL sweating, not just for looking cool.

So, obviously I can't use wool (or can I?) and acrylic sounds icky for this. What can I use that will be springy and not sticky sweaty???

Thanks!

Debkcs
06-16-2008, 09:50 PM
A cotton, acrylic blend perhaps? The cotton for absorbency, the acrylic for stretch.

As for a pattern, probably anything about 2.5 to 3 inches wide, depending on the size of his wrists. I used to wear them for weights, and found the thicker ones a better buy.

suzeeq
06-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Cotton. Dishcloth cotton can be `springy' when knit in a rib or garter stitch, especially at a looser gauge, and absorbs moisture.

Mike
06-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Cotton with a heavy duty rib.

I just made some washcloths with garter and I don't think that would give enough to go over the hand and be tight on the wrists, at least not my hands and wrists. Although I did go with a tighter gauge (#6).
They definitely keep their spring even when wet.

MaleKnitter
06-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Cascade Fixation would work well. It is 98.3% cotton and 1.7% spandex. The spandex makes it stretch and the cotton is good for a wristband

cristina61
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with using a cotton blend like Cascade Fixation -- but I'd like to suggest perhaps substituting Elann Esprit (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Esprit&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=20), which is basically the same yarn but costs less.

Good luck!

Karina
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
What about Rowan Calmer that is 80% cotton and 20% polyester and is quite stretchy. Has 175 yards to a ball so should be able to make a two pairs of wrist bands.

Plantgoddess+
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I second the Elann Esprit. I've been working with it for a while and with the elastic in it it's very stretchy and being 98% cotton would be very absorbent. I have also thrown the socks made with it in the wash with no problems, though I do air dry them instead of the dryer.