PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are also Tea Drinkers?

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I absolutely adore tea. The more and more I drink it, the more I enjoy it. I just wondered how many people that knit are also tea drinkers or how many knitters have a beverage of choice while knitting.

figaro
06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I do enjoy a cup of tea but my drink of choice (yes, I am ADDICTED) is Coca Cola. I like tea on those evenings when it is chilly out or a nice glass of ice cold tea on really hot afternoons.

Crycket
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I can't have caffine...it gives me a head ache....

Dangles
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I like my teas as well. I've been fond of Rooibos teas as of late. But I like Honeybush as well. I've tried Maté recently.

Rooibos: is indigenous to South Africa. South Africans usually sip it with honey and milk. This tea is steeped for approximately five to eight minutes. For those of you worried about caffeine, it is caffeine free as well. More Info on Rooibos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos)

knitpurlgurl
06-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I like my teas as well. I've been fond of Rooibos teas as of late. But I like Honeybush as well. I've tried Maté recently.

Rooibos: is indigenous to South Africa. South Africans usually sip it with honey and milk. This tea is steeped for approximately five to eight minutes. For those of you worried about caffeine, it is caffeine free as well. More Info on Rooibos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos)

I love Rooibos as well.. Right now I am on a green tea kick. I am trying all sorts of green teas. I read about the benefits (http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=111407_green_tea_with_lemon_juice_vitamin_c_inc reases_antioxidant_benefits.htm) of green tea with REAL lemon juice added. Of course, green tea is supossed to be steeped at a lower temp than black teas.. but it contains protective flavonoids (in tea are also antioxidants).

bambi
06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm a huge tea fan! I like black flavored teas and switch to decaf later in the day.

Bambi

Knit4Fun
06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Tea is my favorite! Iced moreso this time of year...I'm excitedly awaiting some tea from a Ravelry tea swap now... :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
06-16-2008, 11:13 PM
None of your choices work for me. I do drink both hot and cold tea occasionally.

Mike
06-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I drink tea, but I usually don't drink anything hot while knitting because I get into the knitting and don't think to drink.
I need a cup of coffee to get my head out of migraine prone areas after waking up. I learned I better drink the coffee before knitting or I'll be making another cup, or getting a migraine (no, it's not an addiction headache). The only thing caffeine does to me is panic attacks so some bad days I only have half a cup.

I used to drink Lipton but then Celestial Teas had an internet coupon that was abused and handed out all over forums. I used enough to find a type that I love and now that's all I drink.
I'm sure they thought the coupon was a bust because it was abused but it sure worked to get me as a loyal customer.

I usually drink water. I got that way ever since getting a fridge with ice and water dispensers.

Debkcs
06-17-2008, 03:34 AM
First thing in the morning is my cuppa with Splenda and 2%, because I LIKE it that way. Then maybe a cup or two of coffee in the afternoon may substitute for more tea, but after dinner I have another cup or two. These are 12 oz. cups.

Every once in awhile I'll have Earl Grey or Constant Comment, but I love English and Irish black teas.

My DH is from Texas, and likes iced tea with so much sugar I can hardly stand to watch him drink it. In his 50's and has never had a cavity, go figure! I think he drinks 1-2 quarts a day.

Mike
06-17-2008, 03:46 AM
My DH is from Texas, and likes iced tea with so much sugar I can hardly stand to watch him drink it.

If it doesn't have so much sugar that won't dissolve it's not enough :)

gingerbread
06-17-2008, 04:46 AM
I used to drink lots of coffee and tea but now it is just plain iced water. I am almost up to ten glasses a day. I pee a lot:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:. After I quit smoking I started to drink water because if I drank coffee or tea I would get where is that darn cigarette:tap:. So now not so bad that I can't have the Tea or Coffee. So I guess the drink of choice is water with Ice.

:waving:

tarrentella
06-17-2008, 04:51 AM
I love a good cup of tea. I am not as fond of builders tea as my British upbringing would have it, but i still lvoe my tea. infact i can get incredibally snobby about tea (well not snobby, i don't mind what other people drink but i know what i like and i know how i like it made!).
I like to have a cup of tea whilst i am knitting, but i don't often actually drink it whilst i am knotting as i get cought up in what i am doing and forget. or get worried that i will spill it on my work!
this is my favourite tea shop
http://www.nbtea.co.uk/index.php

Duessa
06-17-2008, 05:16 AM
I've never been a big fan of tea but i've heard wonderful thigns about Chai, I think I need to try it sometime. Does anyone here drink Chai? If so how, hot, cold, what? I don't know much about it and hate asking them to explain at starbucks, they are always so busy. lol

jdee
06-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Since I gave up Diet Cokes back in Feb, I haven't drank anything but water.

rachejm
06-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Tea gets me through the winter. I drink it a lot at University because it gets me through the assignments. When I come home for the summer I usually have Coke or Pepsi Max.

Ronda
06-17-2008, 06:56 AM
I love tea - hot or iced. Unfortunately, I like it with sugar (I drink my coffee with just cream). The other thing I've noticed is that if I drink tea on an empty stomach, I get sick. Incredibly sick. Like, the cold sweats, nausea, and vomiting. Must be those acids. I used to love a cup of hot tea in the morning, but I also can't eat when I first wake up, so I drink coffee in the morning and have my tea later after I've eaten.

Ronda
06-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I've never been a big fan of tea but i've heard wonderful thigns about Chai, I think I need to try it sometime. Does anyone here drink Chai? If so how, hot, cold, what? I don't know much about it and hate asking them to explain at starbucks, they are always so busy. lol
I like chai tea. I can get a container/box of it at Kroger. It's a liquid in a pourable container in the coffee section. You add your own milk to it and heat it up or drink it iced. The grocery store also has chai tea bags, and you brew it just like you do regular tea. Or you can make your own: http://www.2basnob.com/chai-tea.html

knitpurlgurl
06-17-2008, 07:04 AM
I love chai tea - but I don't drink it as a latte like at Starbucks.. I just drink chai tea steeped in hot water.

I'm with alot of you - I drink oodles of water. Usually, I have 1-2 cups of coffee when I wake up in the morning (no cream or sugar). Then, I drink water most of the day. But I do drink several cups of hot or iced green tea in between. And when I knit, I like a cup of tea for some reason. It must just be a psychological thing. I think I remember my great-grandmother sipping tea and knitting. I used to be a die-hard pop drinker, but when I joined WW, I cut out regular pop. I started to drink diet pop, but then it wasn't thirst quenching and I read horrible things about the artificial sweeteners. I started drinking tea because the warm tea helped stave off hunger. Then I had to drink 1 oz. of water for every 1 oz. of other beverages per WW, so I got hooked on ice water.

mathwizard
06-17-2008, 07:26 AM
I usually drink water or a soft drink. I can not sleep if I have coffee or caffinated beverages too late at night. I usually knit or crochet in the evenings.

tarrentella
06-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Tea gets me through the winter. I drink it a lot at University because it gets me through the assignments. When I come home for the summer I usually have Coke or Pepsi Max.
I swear that British universities would close down without tea.
it gets so many of us through our assignments (and the tutors through the marking). But then we also rely on coffee to get us to the lectures in the first place!

Chai spice is a avourite of mine, especially when i want to be warmed up. I tend to make my own chai spice blends using cinamon (i like bark sticks) cardamon, cloves, dried ginger and a little black pepper. I normally use the spice blend with a standard black tea but somthing like an earl greay or a pekoe can go very nicely with it depending on the blend, it can be tasty without the tea added too. Whether i drink on it's own or blended, i like it either plain or with just a drop of warm milk and a little honey. I think the honey and milk realy help to bring out the taste.

Slim
06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
I enjoy masala chai (usually just called "chai" or "chai tea", which is redundant because "chai" means "tea"). Masala chai is a black tea spiced with cinnamon, cardamon, black pepper, and sometimes anise. It's traditionally served with lots of hot milk and sugar. My son and I often drink it iced during the summer -- we make our own at home using whole leaf tea. At Starbucks they use a concentrate of black tea, sugar and spices, and mix it with steamed milk (or cold milk if you want it iced.) It's really quite delicious.
These days, though, I'm drinking more white tea. I steep it by the cup from whole leaves using a brew basket. I keep the leaves on the counter all day and just add more hot water whenever I want a cup. When I sit down to knit I often have a cup of tea next to me to sip occasionally.

susi
06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
as i knit in the evenings usualy after ds has gone to bed its usually a bottle of beer and a glass of orange squash.

i cant drink tea coffie often because i find the cafine is to much, i get pains in my chest so kinda got used to rarley, as much as i adore coffee (how typical lol)

susi

Mike
06-17-2008, 10:12 AM
India Spice Chai (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/chai-teas/india-spice)
Is the Celestial I got stuck on that replaced regular Liptons.

I've tried it with milk, which is the way I was brought up on tea. But I usually drink it black with sugar because tea is about all I use milk for so I don't buy it much.

I still need regular black tea with milk for dunking peanut butter toast (English Grandmother).

Raeknitsnwa
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I am a tea drinking fanatic I have about 4 or 5 boxes of different flavors of tea around here I gave up soda almost 2 yrs ago I pretty much only drink tea, water or crystal light. When I am knitting I usually stick to water in my big mug since it has a top on it better safe then sorry but I usually have a cup or glass of tea first thing in the morning & before I go to bed at night

cam90066
06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Big time water drinker here. Altho I do have plenty of tea on hand. Just had some peppermint last week for its 'therapeutic' effect. I like plain green. On a hot summer day iced berry-types are good. LOVE the smell of apple-cinnamon when it's chilly.

cam

Cynamar
06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm a tea freak. I make a pot when I get home, if I'm in to stay, and drink on it all evening. I mix green tea with other kinds and love Constant Comment.

Eccie
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I drink tea, and ice tea sometimes, but i usually don't drink or eat anything while I knit. I'd have to stop knitting to sip. I think my tea would end up getting cold :P A nice cuppa tea and a book, now there is a plan.

Jen17
06-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Am I the only one here that is coffee crazy??:shock: I can not get the day started without a cup. I make it with skim milk and fat free half and half and a drop of vanilla. I would prefer to have it with straight cream, but the calories would kill me! Oh and I add plenty of Splenda too. It is a whole ritual I've got going when I make it. Now that it is summer, I make the coffee the night before and put it in the fridge and make ice coffee's the next day. YUMMY!!
Jen:knitting:

Eccie
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one here that is coffee crazy??:shock: I can not get the day started without a cup. I make it with skim milk and fat free half and half and a drop of vanilla. I would prefer to have it with straight cream, but the calories would kill me! Oh and I add plenty of Splenda too. It is a whole ritual I've got going when I make it. Now that it is summer, I make the coffee the night before and put it in the fridge and make ice coffee's the next day. YUMMY!!
Jen:knitting:

you know, I've never gotten onto the coffee bandwagon. I make it every morning for hubbie but it's just not my cup of tea, (pardon the pun) :aww:

Lucy78green
06-18-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't really drink when I knit as I tend to spill things, but a nice cup of strong Barry's (http://www.barrystea.ie) loose leaf tea with just a dash of milk... I drink way too much tea - I should cut down.

catcook
06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I love tea but after reading some of the teas everyone drinks I feel out of the loop, I've never had white tea, and only tried green once (gave me terriable tummy stuff) I like earl grey but my favorite is darjeeling blend. I do have to have my cup of coffee in the mornings so I can get going. I wish I could find whole leaf tea in the stores. Interesting question. >^,,^<

knitpurlgurl
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
I love tea but after reading some of the teas everyone drinks I feel out of the loop, I've never had white tea, and only tried green once (gave me terriable tummy stuff) I like earl grey but my favorite is darjeeling blend. I do have to have my cup of coffee in the mornings so I can get going. I wish I could find whole leaf tea in the stores. Interesting question. >^,,^<

I just order my tea online (http://www.adagio.com/). If you like the convenience of tea bags, you could try T-sacs (http://www.devotea.com/T-sac-tea-filters.html?ref=GOOGLE&gclid=CNTypoqu_pMCFRQEIwodhEFHXQ) for loose tea.

Just branch out and try some different teas. I love white, green, black, red (rooibos -not really tea leaves, but made from a bush. Very good flavor. Very mild.). I thought that Lipton was all there was to tea. Now, I'm not knocking Lipton.. I like Lipton teas. I just branched out and tried more and more teas. Eventually, I started to try loose leaf tea. All tea has some health benefit. You just need to try new things and see what you like. It's kinda like knitting. When I first started knitting, I thought Caron Simply soft and Clover bamboo needles were it. Then I started trying different needles and yarns in different price ranges and textures and discovered I like a lot of different needles and yarns from all different price ranges.

And for you coffee lovers: I LOVE coffee as well. Coffee is my morning ritual. I have a close personal relationship with my barista at Starbucks. I LOVE non-fat, no-whip cafe mochas!! Nummers!

catcook
06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Thank you for the web sites, It looks like I am going to have to get out of my rut...lol

redheadrachel
06-18-2008, 12:15 PM
A nice glass of red :) I definitely wouldn't say anything alcoholic is just fine, but a good wine is always appreciated! lol I can't imagine downing shots as I knit my Bayerische socks, but I'll have a glass or two of the vino!

knitttina
06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I love iced green tea. I just buy amazon green tea. I do love blended ice coffees and have quite and addiction to Tim Horton's iced capps.
mmm... yummy.
my knitting group meets at Starbucks once a month.
but cold green tea is the best while knitting.

KniftyKnitterGal
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I am also I tea fan. But I usually drink water while knitting... I know... BORING :sleepy:

SBG
06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
It's too hot for tea right now, but I love tea. I get the loose leaf from Teaphoria.com and use my steeping contraption from Teavana. :)

Right now, I mostly drink wine ;)

Ronda
06-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Am I the only one here that is coffee crazy??:shock:

I prefer coffee. I have coffee every morning. I used to drink a lot more, but I've cut back to one cup every morning. Tea isn't something I drink every day, but when it gets warm out, I start preferring iced tea...or iced coffee! I just made iced coffee yesterday. Usually I choose tea at night because I can choose decaffeinated and it's easier to make a cup of tea than a pot of decaf coffee! I love tea, but my first choice for a hot drink (especially with dessert) is coffee! Sometimes I can't keep to my one-cup-a-day rule, and I end up having coffee or tea in the afternoon or evening.

Dimpledapple
06-21-2008, 10:26 PM
It depends on the time of day I'm knitting. If it's in the morning, I'll drink coffee or milk. In the afternoon, I'll always have water. And then at night I like to make myself a soothing cup of chamomile and anise tea. It doesn't have any caffeine so I can actually sleep :)

panchita
06-22-2008, 01:20 AM
It depends on the time of day I'm knitting. If it's in the morning, I'll drink coffee or milk. In the afternoon, I'll always have water. And then at night I like to make myself a soothing cup of chamomile and anise tea. It doesn't have any caffeine so I can actually sleep :)

I've got very similar beverage habits to you, Dimpledapple. I adore my coffee in the morning and, occasionally, in the afternoon. Come evening, I love tea. The rest of the time, it's cool, refreshing water. In the summer (like now) I like to make iced tea or--if I remember--iced coffee. For iced coffee, I like to presweeten with sugar while it's still hot, pop it in the fridge, and then serve it cool with half and half later... presweetened is the best: none of that annoying sugar left at the bottom of the glass. Delish!

Slim
06-22-2008, 01:30 PM
A nice glass of red :) I definitely wouldn't say anything alcoholic is just fine, but a good wine is always appreciated! lol I can't imagine downing shots as I knit my Bayerische socks, but I'll have a glass or two of the vino!

Me too! I love a glass of good red wine in the evening. My knitting doesn't seem to suffer from it at all.