PDA

View Full Version : finally-the wheel and I agree

Mulderknitter
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I have been frustrated. The wheel was not cooperating. I bought the maintenance kit and added a spring, better. I oiled, a bit better, but still not cooperating. Finally, this sunday, the wheel had a breakthrough. It decided to cooperate or it would be firewood. Somehow, I found the tension I needed. Somehow, even after removing a bobbin, I could find that tension again (trust me, I didn't want to remove the bobbin. scared to anger the wheel demon) I sat and happily spun not the best but way better yarn than ever. Monday I spun some more, the demon didn't come out but once or twice when it decided to break my yarn, and I got this
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture153.jpg
from this:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture152.jpg
So happy! The colors of the roving are a lot of blues and purples, but at times there is some brown and a thread of sparkly gold that I am not sure I really like. But I spun it!
Now what the heck do I ply this with??????

Liliyarn
06-18-2008, 03:56 AM
Congrats on a string of good luck on the wheel.
I'm spinning some funky blended fibers right now and I plan on plying it with metallic thread. The singles are about worsted weight and I don't wish to make them any bigger.

Mulderknitter
06-18-2008, 08:03 AM
That's a good idea! I have seen other's do that, maybe I'll head to Michael's and see what they have.

Foxyie
06-18-2008, 09:14 AM
good stuff there! i like the gold!

once you get that tricky tension it never leaves you..or at least thats how it's been for me so far!

you might want to try joanns instead for metallic thread.. i haven't found any at micheals but at joanns they sell sulky brand metallic thread that is really pretty

you could also probably find some other brands online

thin crochet cottons can work well too

mullerslanefarm
06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I like it!

I use cones for thread plying. Haven't found any metallic, but then we live in the middle of nowhere, where the nearest JoAnns is 60 miles away and it's a small shop that will be closing soon

Liliyarn
06-20-2008, 02:24 AM
I got my thread at Wal-Mart. =-) A nice warm gold & bronze metallic, 200 yd sewing thread on a spool. Will see how it spins.

Mulderknitter
06-20-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm going to run by Michaels tonight. I'll see what they have and report back!