PDA

View Full Version : So Excited!!!

Knit4Fun
06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Two bits of wonderful news I am really excited about...

A great LYS opened up here last weekend and I went in to scope it out, got some great yarn and enjoyed talking with the owner who was super nice. As if that wasn't enough, I found out yesterday that I won some beautiful hand-dyed roving they had in a drawing at the shop! Yay! So I bought myself a drop spindle kit and am really excited to learn to spin.

Not only that...but many of you know I've been researching and thinking about getting a sewing machine for a while now. I'm pretty much a beginner because I'm not sure what I learned in home ec really counts since it was the last time literally I used a machine (17 years ago). I had been sort of set on a Brother model but for some reason, I couldn't make myself get it. Well, I found a Singer model that I really liked (and which got fantastic ratings by owners) and was all set to use my JoAnn 50% off coupon (plus I have a gift card) for it when I saw in the fine print that you cannot use that coupon for the machine so the price was beyond my budget by a couple hundred dollars. Sigh. Okay, back to the drawing board.

I looked around at several other sites and was able to find one that was $100 less than JoAnn's but no other discounts. I kept looking and finally found it on eBay for fifty dollars less than that PLUS they were accepting Best Offers...hmmm...so I asked for $30 more off which brought it down nicely to the top of my budget, but hey...it's a great machine that is new with factory warranty. I won it!!! So I am now the proud parent of a Singer Confidence 7470 sewing machine!

I just wanted to share my news...I was so excited I had to share with friends who I knew would understand...DH just rolls his eyes and gives me that look like he is pretty sure I should be committed...:cool:

tokmom
06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
How fun! Congrats on the win and the new toys! :yay:

boo1
06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Yay for the new LYS, yay for winning some great yarn, and yay for the good price on the sewing machine! :woohoo:

miss_molly
06-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Great bargain hunting, and congratulations on getting just the machine you wanted at a great price. :cheering:

...DH just rolls his eyes and gives me that look like he is pretty sure I should be committed...
Oh yes, I know THAT look! :-)

Debkcs
06-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Sounds like you really did get a good deal!

I have a 'new to me' machine that a friend sent after she bought herself a new one. It's incredibly better than the one I had, friends are really blessings!

Found out that there is an LYS that I haven't been to, going to go scope it out tomorrow, er, today. 'Need' some more yarn to fill the void giving away some acrylic opened.

WandaT
06-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Congrats!!!! You did some nice research and negotiating!!

Jaxhil
06-18-2008, 06:20 AM
:woohoo::woot::yay:

YAH!! How fun! Hand-dyed roving, a new spinning kit, AND a new SEWING MACHINE!!! I'd be over the moon, too! Congrats-you're going to have so much FUN! My DH wouldn't quite get it either, but then , I don't get his love of computer gadgets :teehee: LOL!

Plantgoddess+
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Sounds like you are having a great lucky streak. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket just in case.
Congrats on the great scores.

Knit4Fun
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
:woohoo::woot::yay:
My DH wouldn't quite get it either, but then , I don't get his love of computer gadgets :teehee: LOL!

Well, that is true...set DH loose in a Lowe's or Home Depot and we can stay for daaaaaaays...I enjoy it too but NOT that much.

DH walks into a craft store and humors me by petting one or two skeins of yarn (at my fevered insistence) and then gets his 'I'll just wait outside because I can tell we are not leaving here anytime soon...when does this place close anyway?' look. :teehee:

becjo
06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh - I'm jealous! I want to learn to sew so badly!!! I want to make skirts - I'm tall & I cant find long enough skirts for me - so you'll have to tell of your sewing adventures! Good deal on finding a better price! Cant wait to see what you come up with!
And anytime you can win or get free yarn - is there anything better? I dont think so!!!!

knitpurlgurl
06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Congrats!!! :)

Knit4Fun
06-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Okay, so I got the new sewing machine, and I have to say that it is AWESOME!!! I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great computerized machine at a reasonable price.

Here's the eBay dealer I went through - there's a sale going on until tomorrow plus you can make an offer to save more money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-7470-Confidence-Sewing-Machine-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ300234321264QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3118QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, if you are an eBay member (it's for members only), here's an ADDITIONAL 10% off coupon I believe you can use to save even more as long as you pay by June 30 (and the seller must accept PayPal - this one does): CJUNE0810P - good luck!

They shipped the item right away, the shipping was free and included insurance...all in all, a great deal!

knitpurlgurl
06-21-2008, 04:07 PM
What a great deal and how terrific for you!! Congrats!

auburnchick
06-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Yay for you!!! Glad you were so patient...helped you get a good deal in the end!

Shewhoknits
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
My daughter shops on ebay all the time. With your purchase i think i will also have a look more often.

Great deals and yes yes yes to a nice LYS.