PDA

View Full Version : What can I make for baby with this yarn?

punkhippiemom
06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi all!!!:muah:
I have been afk (away from knitting, and keyboard) for a while, but I quit my job and a plethora of people are having babies left, right and sideways around me, both of which have led to me being in a knitting frenzy... which always leads back to KH!!
I have this beautiful, nubby cotton yarn that was intended to be a shrug for a friend... well, said friend is expecting her first baby and I want to make something nice with 'her' yarn for the baby... don't know the gender yet, and I have no idea how to best use this yarn in a baby item. It's lace- to fingering-weight, with small to medium nubbies. Should I just make her the shrug and figure out something else for baby?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/punkhippiemom/PICT0145finishedwinding.jpg

Ingrid
06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't know what to make with your yarn. . .but it sure is great to hear from you again!!!!!:muah::muah::muah::muah::muah:

punkhippiemom
06-17-2008, 11:22 PM
:woot: :grphug: :woohoo: :knitting: :yay: :happydance:
Yeah, I'm glad to be back, too! In case you couldn't tell ;)
:lovefest:

Jan in CA
06-17-2008, 11:58 PM
What weight and how much of it is there?

Glad you're back!

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 12:48 AM
It's between lace and fingering, without the nubs, and there's about... uhhh... a lot?
Not enough for a blanket, but enough for a shrug (knitted loosely)... The roll it's on is a paper towel roll... maybe 8oz?

jberry16
06-18-2008, 12:49 AM
maybe a simple cardigan? when is she due? Maybe make it in a size the baby could wear come Oct/Nov?

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 12:55 AM
That could work... I've been staying away from cothes, because I have seen this yarn as a shrug for so long, it *feels* like a girl yarn to me, rather than unisex. But cotton is supposed to be good for baby clothes... maybe matching booties?
She's been my good friend for *GASP* nearly twenty years, so I want to make something heirloom quality, something she'll really love...
:wall:

jberry16
06-18-2008, 12:58 AM
How cool, a friendship that has lasted that long!!! Is there enough to make a simple cardigan, hat and booties to match? I'd guess probably so...look on ravelry to see. Or you could make a small blanket for the baby, that'd be really nice and snuggly, even if it's just say a 21x21 it could easily be used for in the carseat as a tuck around...I love those little blankets for that. (I have 3 kids-4,2 & 7mo)

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 01:45 AM
I kind of like the matching set idea, but a little blankie is someting that can be tucked away for future use, too... I've been waiting to use this yarn for 2 yrs, I'm afraid to start knitting with it until I know exactly what to make because those nubs are going to make it nearly impossible to tink or frog unless I use a larger gauge needle.... I am not friendly with patterns and usually just wing it, but I may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Wildfire
06-18-2008, 02:26 AM
I would say you could make a baby hat, little mittens, and booties ^^
I believe there's a cute group of baby patterns in a book called, 'Itty Bitty Knits' I could be wrong on the name. Looks like you have a lot there so you might be able to have some left over to make a little something for the mother as well. Perhaps a matching hat? Welcome back =)

Azlynn
06-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Oh that's pretty yarn! I'm currently knitting that seamless baby kimono, and I'm using much thinner yarn than the pattern calls for (It calls for 8 ply, and mine is only 4 ply). She says you can make it with fingering weight just by increasing more to achieve the correct measurement rather than the correct number of stitches. It doesn't take too much yarn and you may have just enough! Here is the pattern I'm using, and it's a lot of fun! Seamless Baby Kimono (http://thecompletefabrication.blogspot.com/2007/11/seamless-baby-kimono.html)

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
That would look yummy in that yarn, but I dislike the way it wraps ALL the way to the side.... I would have to modify it just a little
:shifty:

Azlynn
06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I saw some very altered versions on ravelry, one more like a T-shirt, one that just came barely past the middle front, etc. It seems like a very forgiving pattern. I'm making it once just like the pattern because I'm a new knitter, but eventually I plan on making more and altering them just because it's really fun to knit.

Wildfire
06-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Rats, I did get the name of the book wrong. Sorry about that. The book I was thinking of is called, 'Knits from the Heart' by Kristin Spurkland. Can't wait to see what you decide to make with the yarn =)

punkhippiemom
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
:knitting: Well, I have a hat. I ended up just winging it... I think I'm pattern-phobic... they make me go all :zombie:
It's a start. :cheering: I may make a sacque to go with it, or a cardigan... The gauge is almost impossible to tell, but something modified off the baby kimono Azlynn suggested will be easy to make up as I go along... thanks for posting that!
I love the way this yarn knits up, the texture is just cloud9 , but... what a PITA!! In order to make a hat that wasn't all lacy, I used US5 needles, which made a tighter fabric, but was horrible when I got to the big nubbies... I may have have to find a fingering yarn to carry with it and move up to 7's :thinking:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/punkhippiemom/lilbabyhat.jpg

Wildfire
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Looks great! I love the texture also. For someone who's pattern phobic =P you sure do a great job without a pattern =)