PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this contraption?

Ravennwings
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok, so as far as extended knitting skills go, I'm still a relative noob. I've not had the money to buy anything other than yarn and needles, for the most part. So when I found an add on Craigslist with somebody getting rid of their entire stash of knitting paraphernalia for $10, naturally I leaped at the opportunity! And the lady was nice--she included a bunch of her crochet hooks as well :inlove:

But also included with her stash was a strange contraption I've not yet seen (knowing i've not the money to buy, i pretty much haven't bothered to look. Temptation too high! :shrug:)

My camera is on the fritz, so I couldn't take a pic, BUT the contraption was simple enough for me to draw a near-perfect rendition of it in MS Paint! So, can anybody tell me what the heck this thing is and how the heck I use it? Thanks! :muah:

khaosx5
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
it is used for making "hair-pin lace" - I would think that there are instructions somewhere on the internet.
:knitting:

Spokaloo
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
What you have there is a loom used for hairpin lace which is crocheted. There are videos on YouTube -- just search for hairpin lace and you'll find them.

Hairpin lace got its name because it was originally worked on real hairpins -- the big old fashioned ones that your grandmother or even great grandmother used. The blue pieces are used to hold the poles apart at specific distances so you can make the strips wider or narrower.

In a nutshell -- and the YouTube videos give you specifics -- you start with a slipknot, then wrap your yarn from one pole to the other, connecting the yarn in the middle by yarning over and making a line of scs (single crochet). This gives you a line of crocheting with loops on either side. You then crochet the loops together -- singly or in groups, sometimes twisting them -- to form edges on what becomes a lacey strip. The strips are then crocheted together to make an item or garment.

becjo
06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
HMMM - I'm interested in watching how it works just for the heck of it now! I want to see some finished projects & what they look like.

McKnitty
06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't know how to do hairpin lace, but I've thought about learning just so I can do this shawl:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/dagmar/dagmar.html

Isn't it gorgeous?

Ravennwings
06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks, guys! Imma look up how to do it now. ^_^ Yay! I love learning new skills! XD

cristina61
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, it's a hairpin lace loom, as others have said. You can also check http://www.stitchdiva.com (http://www.stitchdiva.com/) for more info on hairpin lace, including some very cool patterns and an online tutorial.

After seeing some of the stuff on Jennifer Hansen's site I bought myself a whole set of these looms -- although I've been so busy knitting I haven't yet got around to learning how to use them.

Mike
06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Knit and Crochet Today (PBS Create Digital) had a show on how to use one. It should be coming up again.

sideways
06-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I made a loom out of knitting needles and corrugated plastic (aka Coroplast). I snatch the very illegal signs advertisers stick in the ground along public roadways & at intersections. The plastic is awesome stuff, like corrugated cardboard on steroids.

Anyhow, I just cut 2 strips of the plastic going across the ribs, so I end up with a long strip that has a bunch of holes along the long edges. Maybe 1-2 inches wide.

I push the needles all the way thru one strip, the other gets placed over the tips just enough to hold things together. To work with it, the tip ends face downwards so I can slip off and then replace the plastic as I work.

This could probably be done with cardboard, but might not be as durable.

Knitting_Guy
06-19-2008, 11:44 PM
It's a goal post for very short people who enjoy football.

Debkcs
06-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Mason!!! :rofl:

Back then, I made lot's of hair pin lace items. I may take it up again just to make that shawl for my DIL, adding an extra row for her 5'10", skinny figure.